you will replace the tank and not risk a tank doctored with sealant.You
may live or die to regret it.
best wishes Tony Roodhouse

Greaves, Tammy

Re: [mg-tabc] Gas Tank Sealer

Post by Greaves, Tammy » Wed Apr 26, 2000 7:59 pm

RE: [mg-tabc] Gas Tank Sealer
Wayne,
I had asked basically the same question some months ago. My tank was not leaking (at least the bottom inch or so where fuel sat for 25 years)however I figured this total rebuild would call for some insurance that the tank would not leak. I researched this and I took someone's recommendation and I sent my tank to a place in Greensburg PA - Moyer's Fuel Tank RENU. They are on the web at www.gas-tank.com/bike.htm. E-Mail slmoyer@westol.com. They sent me a sample of their coating they apply to outside and then exterior of tank.
The process was to cut four holes into the tank (front of tank - where nothing showed after the process and tank was put back on vehicle) and then sandblast complete interior. They then welded the four holes up and applied the coating inside. The tank is then baked at 375 degrees. The exterior also has a coating. This exterior coating is not as smooth as paint thus I only had them coat the front, sides and bottom. The top and rear where the finish will show after painting later was just primed.
The tank looks great. The cost was $225. Unfortunately the big test will be when I run the car..that is still a couple months away.
My understanding is the rear mounts often crack and leak. I think Sherrill recomends a small plate of steel welded between mounts and tank to solve that problem.
Rob Greaves
Re question by Wayne Littleton...
Gas tank has started to leak on a bottom seam. Need suggestions or
recommendations on a tank sealer that I could use instead of replacing
the tank.
Wayne Littleton TA2270

Code: Select all

[code]

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.
 It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else
 is unauthorized.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
 or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited
 and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice
 contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in
 the governing KPMG client engagement contract.

[/code]

David Griffith

Gas tank sealer

Post by David Griffith » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:45 am

I do not recommend the Moss kit. I do not recommend having a poly liner put in because if it ever leaks in the future, it cannot be removed with out distortion of the tank ie ruining it. My friend who has a restoration shop only uses the system by Caswell plating. It is expensive but works and can be applied at home. The biggest thing is tank cleaning.

Do not use JB Weld to fix rust hole leaks!

I recently worked on the Watney Stilton, It had a liner put in it many years ago, however when the tank was initially repaired, where it had rusted through, there was still some porosity and the liner was thin in that area and it leaked. An epoxy resin obtained form ORiellys worked great once I got the area and hole very clean and roughted up.

David

1939mgtb@comcast.net

Re: Gas tank sealer

Post by 1939mgtb@comcast.net » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:00 am

I can vouch for not using j.b. weld on fuel tanks!
I used it on the morris minor tank and had a massive leak a couple of years on.
Soooooo one new tank later.....
R

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dennis and Pat Rainey

Post by Dennis and Pat Rainey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:09 am

Just a little over ten years ago, I developed a small leak at the lowest point in the gas tank in my '65 MGB. The lowest point is, of course, where water would settle. One day I noticed a small drip and when I touched it, it became a big drip. I drained all the gas out of the tank and cleaned around the hole which had rusted thru and patched using JB Weld. That was almost eleven years ago come this spring and that patch is still holding very nicely. I have to admit that I was a little surprised myself.

Dennis Rainey - Albertville, AL

Dennis Nelson

Post by Dennis Nelson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:20 am

I have used J-B Weld for years and it has always given superior results.
The key is getting down to bright metal. But anyway, what's wrong with a
hole where water accumulates? Lets the water drain out, doesn't it? ;-)

Dennis Nelson
Manassas, VA
TA3074
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Dennis and Pat Rainey wrote:

>
>
> Just a little over ten years ago, I developed a small leak at the lowest
> point in the gas tank in my '65 MGB. The lowest point is, of course, where
> water would settle. One day I noticed a small drip and when I touched it, it
> became a big drip. I drained all the gas out of the tank and cleaned around
> the hole which had rusted thru and patched using JB Weld. That was almost
> eleven years ago come this spring and that patch is still holding very
> nicely. I have to admit that I was a little surprised myself.
>
> Dennis Rainey - Albertville, AL
>
>

1939mgtb@comcast.net

Post by 1939mgtb@comcast.net » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:33 am

Guys,
J.b. weld dissolves over time with exposure to the new "gas". The patch I put on the morris tank lasted about four or so years before the thing let go. And, yes, it was prepared properly. I suspect that may be why j.b. weld doesn't recommend usage in the 10% fuel. There's a lot of other stuff added to the mixture.
But to 'fess up, the why of the patch is kinda funny.
I bought a morris for my better 3/4
from a guy who was sure he was going to install a 350 Chevy into it.
When he found he would have to use a tube chassis, he surrendered and sold.
I bought it because it was a complete car sold new locally. I used only original parts, etc.
I had the tank dipped, and then sealed it. The gas line ran to the center of the tank, and afraid of clogging it, I blew air through while it was drying.
When the little car was complete, I loaded the spousal unit up for a first ride.
It went great, so off she went to work the next day.
I got the call we all dread..."it died".
Toolbox and minor (pardon pun) parts in hand, I arrived. It started and ran great! I gloated; she had killed it.
But now she was running late. She sped off. Another call. Another easy start, car runs like a top.
We swap cars, I head home. Humming along, reveling in a sweet running little classic, all is right with the world!
Suddenly, it all comes to a halt. Over and over and over and over..."maybe the coil is getting hot, and when it sits a few, it cools." Maybe not.
What had happened, I finally found, was that when I blew air back through the fuel feed lines, it had formed a loose flap over the end of the tube.
Most of the time, the curtain would float out of the way, but sometimes....... And then things came to a screeching stop.
I cut a nickel sized hole under where the pipe end lay, and cleared the pipe.
I used j.b. weld (love the stuff) to affix a patch over the hole that was about the size of a soup can top.
We drove that car Nashville to New Orleans to wherever for some years. One day I noticed a Exxon Valdez sized gas spill in the shop.
And guess what j.b. said when I called?
So, be aware.
R

BUD SILVERS

Gas Tank Sealer

Post by BUD SILVERS » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Attachments :[img]cid:image001.gif@01CD7FA1.171CAD70[/img]Hello all;  I have just installed my fuel sending unit into my gas tank. That part is done now!  The next thing I need to do is to install the fuel outlet/screen and the plug that go into the bottom of the tank. What is recommended for sealing these two places. They both came with a red fiber washer. Is that enough alone or do I need some additional sealer along with them?  Please feel free to offer your opinions.  TC 1576 is progressing. The body tub, the floor boards, the gas tank, and the tops of the bonnets are back on the car. I have painted my rear wings and they will go on as soon as I am finished with the gas tank stuff. I will then finish the back end of the car. Tail lights and wiring etc.  The duo tone paint really looks nice to me. I know it is not original, but still, it looks nice. Incidentally, neither Steve McQueen’s nor Al Moss’s TC’s were exactly stock.  Have a great day! Thank you!  Bud SilversTC 1576 – Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado……