Re: [mg-tabc] TA Brake Pedal Shaft

Ed & Kris Curtis

TA Brake Pedal Shaft

Post by Ed & Kris Curtis » Sat Apr 22, 2000 3:16 pm

I have been working on my 37 MGTA and have been trying to remove the pedal shaft that supports both the brake and clutch pedals. I have experience with the pedal shaft on the left hand drive TD/TF and this right hand drive TA mechanism seems to be much different. Removal of the clutch pedal was obvious and quick. Since the metal shaft showed signs of wear, I wish to remove the entire shaft for replacement. The brake pedal is cradled within a "C" shaped bracket. This bracket is attached to the frame with three bolts and one large rivet. There does not seem to be any nuts to remove or turn on the shaft itself. Unlike the TF shaft, there seems to be no "C" clip to remove where the shaft extends outside of the frame since this shaft does not extend outside of the frame. So my question to you is - How do you get this thing apart? I have looked in all of the normal references including the TA Instruction manual (for the "T" car) and have found neither illustrations nor discussions on this subject. Thanks in advance for your suggestions, Ed Curtis curtis@novagate.com 55 MGTF1500 37 MGTA

Dean Jensen

Post by Dean Jensen » Sun Apr 23, 2000 3:10 pm

Ed I have a TA also, it has been more than three years ago, (I am still working on my TA) but I was cleaning up the petals the other day, and I know that I have the shaft completely out of mine, will look later and see what was holding it in, but I am sure there is no key in my shaft. I am sure you do not have to remove the bracket, will get back to you later.
Regards Dean
-----O riginal Message-----
To: MG-TABC
Date: Saturday, April 22, 2000 5:16 PM
Subject: [mg-tabc] TA Brake Pedal Shaft

I have been working on my 37 MGTA and have been trying to remove the pedal shaft that supports both the brake and clutch pedals. I have experience with the pedal shaft on the left hand drive TD/TF and this right hand drive TA mechanism seems to be much different. Removal of the clutch pedal was obvious and quick. Since the metal shaft showed signs of wear, I wish to remove the entire shaft for replacement. The brake pedal is cradled within a "C" shaped bracket. This bracket is attached to the frame with three bolts and one large rivet. There does not seem to be any nuts to remove or turn on the shaft itself. Unlike the TF shaft, there seems to be no "C" clip to remove where the shaft extends outside of the frame since this shaft does not extend outside of the frame. So my question to you is - How do you get this thing apart? I have looked in all of the normal references including the TA Instruction manual (for the "T" car) and have found neither illustrations nor discussions on this subject. Thanks in advance for your suggestions, Ed Curtis curtis@novagate.com 55 MGTF1500 37 MGTA

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Mon Apr 24, 2000 11:46 am

Re: [mg-tabc] TA Brake Pedal Shaft Cleaning up the PETALS??? I've heard of flower-power, but this is rediculous. Must have been some good stuff in the polish you were using...

Roger

P.S. other than the split pins, friction and a bit of rust, nothing else holds this shaft in. As Mr. Badger would say, just find a suitable rock...

Dean wrote;
I have a TA also, it has been more than three years ago, (I am still working on
my TA) but I was cleaning up the petals the other day, and I know that I have
the shaft completely out of mine, will look later and see what was holding it in,
but I am sure there is no key in my shaft. I am sure you do not have to remove
the bracket, will get back to you later.

Dean Jensen

Post by Dean Jensen » Mon Apr 24, 2000 6:14 pm

Re: [mg-tabc] TA Brake Pedal Shaft Roger I just saying that I have the pedals out, cleaning the old rust, paint etc off before I repaint them. The flowers did not grow to well in the grease and dirty on them, next time I will try radishes. Dean
-----Original Message-----
To: Dean Jensen
Cc: T-ABCs
Date: Monday, April 24, 2000 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] TA Brake Pedal Shaft

Cleaning up the PETALS??? I've heard of flower-power, but this is rediculous. Must have been some good stuff in the polish you were using...

Roger

P.S. other than the split pins, friction and a bit of rust, nothing else holds this shaft in. As Mr. Badger would say, just find a suitable rock...

Dean wrote;
the shaft completely out of mine, will look later and see what was holding it in,

Ed & Kris Curtis

Post by Ed & Kris Curtis » Mon Apr 24, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: [mg-tabc] TA Brake Pedal Shaft Thanks to all who responded to my request for help in removing the pedal shaft from my TA. As one person suggested, I took a very large hammer and was successful in getting the shaft out of the car. I had been unable to spot a split pin prior to removal, but found the remains in the shaft after removal. It is interesting how careful one must be in statements made on this area. I would have never suspected that my dumb question would spark comments about growing flowers. Thanks once again, Ed Curtis curtis@novagate.com 55 MGTF 37 MGTA
----- Original Message ----- From: djensen@accessus.net To: roger.46tc@virgin.net Cc: mg-tabc@egroups.com Sent: Monday, April 24, 2000 6:19 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] TA Brake Pedal Shaft
Roger I just saying that I have the pedals out, cleaning the old rust, paint etc off before I repaint them. The flowers did not grow to well in the grease and dirty on them, next time I will try radishes. Dean -----Original Message-----
To: Dean Jensen
Cc: T-ABCs
Date: Monday, April 24, 2000 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] TA Brake Pedal Shaft

Cleaning up the PETALS??? I've heard of flower-power, but this is rediculous. Must have been some good stuff in the polish you were using...

Roger

Dean wrote;