5 speed conversion

investor60606

5 speed conversion

Post by investor60606 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:48 am

I am in the process of the conversion on MG TC 5407 .I researched all the possibilities and in the end purchased the HI-GEAR Engineering conversion kit with a rebuilt type 9 gearbox Gearbox Ratios ; 3.65 ,1.97 ,1.37 ,1.00 ,0.82 With an standard TB/TC axle ratio @ 5.125/1 70 mph = 3535 rpm in 5 th gear Peter and Pat (wife )Gamble 011-44-1-332-514-503 , are wonderful to work with . The complete kit is "TOP SHELF" . The bellhousing is a thing of beauty and the kit has all the parts necessary and fasteners plus well written instructions for the competent owner to fit the package into our T series cars I have added Bob Grunau 's ( 408-371-1642 ) work of art , his ten lb steel flywheel with an MG TD ring gear and Sunbeam MK IV pressure plate . Matched to the ring gear I installed British Starters'( DR Marty 516-978-6161 ) very small MGA gear reduction starter . It pulls much less amps , spins Bob's flywheel much faster and can be installed and removed without disassembling half of the driver-side engine compartment . It should be disclosed that the standard MG TC tunnel has to be slightly modified to accept a drive shaft protection ring .So those of you that need to be historically correct please do not yell ! But the original black rubber trans cover fits quite nicely over the new gearbox .Please feel free to use my name when you call any of the suppliers,Regards. John Welch , TC 5407 Golf IL. 312-983-8980

investor60606

5 speed conversion

Post by investor60606 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:50 am

I am in the process of the conversion on MG TC 5407 .I researched all the possibilities and in the end purchased the HI-GEAR Engineering conversion kit with a rebuilt type 9 gearbox Gearbox Ratios ; 3.65 ,1.97 ,1.37 ,1.00 ,0.82 With an standard TB/TC axle ratio @ 5.125/1 70 mph = 3535 rpm in 5 th gear Peter and Pat (wife )Gamble 011-44-1-332-514-503 , are wonderful to work with . The complete kit is "TOP SHELF" . The bellhousing is a thing of beauty and the kit has all the parts necessary and fasteners plus well written instructions for the competent owner to fit the package into our T series cars I have added Bob Grunau 's ( 408-371-1642 ) work of art , his ten lb steel flywheel with an MG TD ring gear and Sunbeam MK IV pressure plate . Matched to the ring gear I installed British Starters'( DR Marty 516-978-6161 ) very small MGA gear reduction starter . It pulls much less amps , spins Bob's flywheel much faster and can be installed and removed without disassembling half of the driver-side engine compartment . It should be disclosed that the standard MG TC tunnel has to be slightly modified to accept a drive shaft protection ring .So those of you that need to be historically correct please do not yell ! But the original black rubber trans cover fits quite nicely over the new gearbox .Please feel free to use my name when you call any of the suppliers,Regards. John Welch , TC 5407 Golf IL. 312-983-8980

investor60606

5 speed conversion

Post by investor60606 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:59 am

BUD SILVERS

5 speed conversion

Post by BUD SILVERS » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:05 am

Hello all; I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. At this point I am asking a few general questions. 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion with success? 2. What about gear ratios? 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the transmission? 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss does, but would like to still make a small profit. Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? The adventure continues.... Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone have any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I need it yesterday! Thanks! Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

BUD SILVERS

5 speed conversion

Post by BUD SILVERS » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am

Good morning all; Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now have some idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't think that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. What I am interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly better alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a separate overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to this is that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An alternative transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing problem. It would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the 30 VW steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam steering boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are 30 TC's out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and more pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for alternative transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most believe, but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the experience and reliability. In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I decide to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net] Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM To: MG T-ABC GROUP Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello all; I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. At this point I am asking a few general questions. 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion with success? 2. What about gear ratios? 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the transmission? 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss does, but would like to still make a small profit. Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? The adventure continues.... Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone have any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I need it yesterday! Thanks! Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

BUD SILVERS

Re: 5 speed conversion

Post by BUD SILVERS » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:42 am

Hello again all; While on this subject, does anyone have a stock TC transmission for sale? Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net] Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:39 AM To: 'MG T-ABC GROUP' Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Good morning all; Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now have some idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't think that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. What I am interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly better alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a separate overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to this is that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An alternative transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing problem. It would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the 30 VW steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam steering boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are 30 TC's out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and more pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for alternative transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most believe, but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the experience and reliability. In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I decide to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net ] Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM To: MG T-ABC GROUP Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello all; I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. At this point I am asking a few general questions. 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion with success? 2. What about gear ratios? 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the transmission? 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss does, but would like to still make a small profit. Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? The adventure continues.... Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone have any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I need it yesterday! Thanks! Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

recon6060@aol.com

Post by recon6060@aol.com » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:46 am

Good luck with that, all the TD racers have converted their cars to TC boxes. Ed Callo III In a message dated 3/22/2010 11:44:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mgtc@usaviator.net writes: Hello again all; While on this subject, does anyone have a stock TC transmission for sale? Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado....TC From: Bud Silvers [mailto:_mgtc@usaviator.mgt_ (mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net) ] Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:39 AM To: 'MG T-ABC GROUP' Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Good morning all; Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now have some idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't think that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. What I am interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly better alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a separate overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to this is that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An alternative transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing problem. It would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the 30 VW steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam steering boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are 30 TC's out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and more pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for alternative transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most believe, but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the experience and reliability. In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I decide to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado....TC From: Bud Silvers [mailto:_mgtc@usaviator.mgt_ (mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net) ] Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM To: MG T-ABC GROUP Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello all; I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. At this point I am asking a few general questions. 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion with success? 2. What about gear ratios? 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the transmission? 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss does, but would like to still make a small profit. Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? The adventure continues...T Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone have any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I need it yesterday! Thanks! Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado....TC [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jennifer and Hugh Pite

Post by Jennifer and Hugh Pite » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:10 am

Certainly, $1500 complete with bellhousing (needing repair) and shift extension. Cheers, Hugh Pite
----- Original Message ----- From: Bud Silvers To: 'Bud Silvers' ; 'MG T-ABC GROUP' Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 8:41 AM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello again all; While on this subject, does anyone have a stock TC transmission for sale? Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net] Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:39 AM To: 'MG T-ABC GROUP' Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Good morning all; Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now have some idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't think that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. What I am interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly better alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a separate overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to this is that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An alternative transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing problem. It would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the 30 VW steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam steering boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are 30 TC's out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and more pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for alternative transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most believe, but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the experience and reliability. In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I decide to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net ] Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM To: MG T-ABC GROUP Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion Hello all; I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. At this point I am asking a few general questions. 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion with success? 2. What about gear ratios? 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the transmission? 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss does, but would like to still make a small profit. Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? The adventure continues.... Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone have any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I need it yesterday! Thanks! Have a great day. Bud Silvers TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.791 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2763 - Release Date: 03/22/10 00:33:00 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Clifford Knight

Post by Clifford Knight » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:12 am

I beg to suggest that it isn't just the OP who would object to this type of conversion. FIVA require that historic cars have original steering, gearbox, engine etc before they grant a certificate. If non original parts or modifications are fitted then they should be of the same period and are noted on the certificate. So what! you may say. Well without a FIVA certificate many countries will not even allow an old car to be imported or used on public roads. Also a FIVA cert is a requirement for European Classic Rallies and most old car events. Thus in my country, Greece, a VW steering or a 5 speed gearbox would have the reverse effect to the one you envisage and the car could NEVER be used on the road and would have to be be relegated to a museum. I personally have no axe to grind regarding mods to our cars but do be aware that if you or any subsequent owner intends to export and use them on public roads in Europe or Asia, do check the local requirements. I have no idea whether FIVA is widely accepted in USA. If you are interested in FIVA see: http://www.fiva.org/EN/General_Info.htm Enjoy them whilst you can Cliff
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Bud Silvers mgtc@usaviator.net> wrote: > > > Good morning all; > > Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now have some > idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I don't > think > that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. What I am > interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly > better > alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a separate > overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to this is > that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An alternative > transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing problem. It > would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. > > To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the 30 VW > steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam steering > boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are 30 TC's > out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and more > pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for alternative > transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC > transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most believe, > but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the experience and > reliability. > > In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if I decide > to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. > > Have a great day. > > Bud Silvers > > TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... > > From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net ] > Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM > To: MG T-ABC GROUP > Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion > > Hello all; > > I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for the TC. At > this point I am asking a few general questions. > > 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this conversion > with success? > > 2. What about gear ratios? > > 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? > > 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? > > 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the > transmission? > > 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? > > I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than Moss does, > but would like to still make a small profit. > > Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I would > offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. > > How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? > > The adventure continues.... > > Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does anyone have > any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would sell? I > need it yesterday! > > Thanks! > > Have a great day. > > Bud Silvers > > TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

murray arundell

Post by murray arundell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:36 am

Another reason NOT to live in Europe. I don't know why you people put up with such interference by government in something they've no right to be involved in. So long as the car is safe and passes safety regulations it's no one's business what steering, gearbox etc it has. Next they'll be telling you it can't be painted in two pack paint and dictate what colour it must be!!!!! Murray Arundell Glad to be in Aus Sent from my iPhone On 23/03/2010, at 3:12, Clifford Knight clifford.f.knight@gmail.com> wrote:
> I beg to suggest that it isn't just the OP who would object to this > type of > conversion. FIVA require that historic cars have original steering, > gearbox, > engine etc before they grant a certificate. If non original parts or > modifications are fitted then they should be of the same period and > are > noted on the certificate. > > So what! you may say. Well without a FIVA certificate many countries > will > not even allow an old car to be imported or used on public roads. > Also a > FIVA cert is a requirement for European Classic Rallies and most old > car > events. Thus in my country, Greece, a VW steering or a 5 speed > gearbox would > have the reverse effect to the one you envisage and the car could > NEVER be > used on the road and would have to be be relegated to a museum. > > I personally have no axe to grind regarding mods to our cars but do > be aware > that if you or any subsequent owner intends to export and use them > on public > roads in Europe or Asia, do check the local requirements. I have no > idea > whether FIVA is widely accepted in USA. If you are interested in > FIVA see: > http://www.fiva.org/EN/General_Info.htm > > Enjoy them whilst you can > Cliff > > > > > > > > > > > > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Bud Silvers mgtc@usaviator.net> > wrote: > >> >> >> Good morning all; >> >> Thank you very much to all who responded to this question. I now >> have some >> idea how to proceed. I should clarify something. At this point I >> don't >> think >> that I am personally interested in putting a 5 speed into my car. >> What I am >> interested in is developing a less expensive alternative and possibly >> better >> alternative to the Moss conversion. I kind of like the idea of a >> separate >> overdrive, and might consider that for my car. The disadvantage to >> this is >> that the original transmissions don't seem to be available. An >> alternative >> transmission would resolve this problem as well as the gearing >> problem. It >> would also preserve at least one of the original transmissions. >> >> To those of you who are members of the OP, let me say this. For the >> 30 VW >> steering conversions that I have sold, there are 30 Bishop Cam >> steering >> boxes and associated parts being preserved. Furthermore, there are >> 30 TC's >> out there which appear in the public more often, and are safer and >> more >> pleasant for their owners to drive. The same can be said for >> alternative >> transmissions, for each one in use in TC's there is an original TC >> transmission being preserved, etc. I am more of a purist than most >> believe, >> but I also like to drive my car and enjoy the safety and the >> experience and >> reliability. >> >> In any case, thank you very much to all who responded. When and if >> I decide >> to pursue the transmission project I will certainly let you all know. >> >> Have a great day. >> >> Bud Silvers >> >> TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... >> >> From: Bud Silvers [mailto:mgtc@usaviator.net ] >> Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:04 AM >> To: MG T-ABC GROUP >> Subject: [mg-tabc] 5 speed conversion >> >> Hello all; >> >> I a considering developing and building a 5 speed conversion for >> the TC. At >> this point I am asking a few general questions. >> >> 1. Has anyone used a modern/available transmission for this >> conversion >> with success? >> >> 2. What about gear ratios? >> >> 3. Are most or any 5 speeds overdrive in 5th? >> >> 4. What kind of RPM do you attain with stock gears? >> >> 5. Do you use stock pressure plate and use a disk that matches the >> transmission? >> >> 6. How do you get the shifter into the proper position? >> >> I would like to build some of these and sell them for less than >> Moss does, >> but would like to still make a small profit. >> >> Everyone who had purchased one of my VW kits is very pleased and I >> would >> offer the same type of quality in a 5 speed kit. >> >> How many would possibly be interested, and at what price? >> >> The adventure continues.... >> >> Body tub is back on TC-1576 and I am rebuilding the doors. Does >> anyone have >> any of the door wood that is excess to your needs that you would >> sell? I >> need it yesterday! >> >> Thanks! >> >> Have a great day. >> >> Bud Silvers >> >> TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado...... >> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >> >> >> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >