MG TC Windshield Glass

davjak@aol.com

MG TC Windshield Glass

Post by davjak@aol.com » Thu May 12, 2005 8:16 am

The rock chip in my '48 TCs windshield recently spread into a nice crack! I could not find glass thru the regular sources: Moss, Abingdon etc. What have others done? It looks to me like any flat Tempered glass should work, just concerned about the thickness.. Anyone know of suppliers on Long Island , NY? I would like to install the glass myself. I am sure the original glass may be used as a template. I have seen one too many replaced windshields "done up' with phillips head screws in the frame! Dave, looking thru a broken windscreen.. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

LAWRENCE A LECLERC

Re: MG TC Windshield Glass

Post by LAWRENCE A LECLERC » Thu May 12, 2005 9:54 am

Been there, done that. couple of things if you intend to install the glass yourself . Be sure that the replacement glass is EXACTLY the same dimension as the old one. Also be sure to replace the screws in the exact hole each came out off. On my windshield there were two different lengths. Took me about a week, two pieces of glass and at least a case of beer.
----- Original Message ----- From: davjak@aol.comdavjak@aol.com> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.commg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 10:15 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] MG TC Windshield Glass The rock chip in my '48 TCs windshield recently spread into a nice crack! I could not find glass thru the regular sources: Moss, Abingdon etc. What have others done? It looks to me like any flat Tempered glass should work, just concerned about the thickness.. Anyone know of suppliers on Long Island , NY? I would like to install the glass myself. I am sure the original glass may be used as a template. I have seen one too many replaced windshields "done up' with phillips head screws in the frame! Dave, looking thru a broken windscreen.. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Charles Hill

Post by Charles Hill » Thu May 12, 2005 11:14 am

Dave, I had one made by a local glass company. They can use your old one as a template. I took the opportunity to have the frame pieces rechromed at the same time. Some tips from my experience: Abindon Spares has the correct screws. MOSS tries to palm off phillips head screws. They may even be 10X32 instead of 2BA! A little silicon grease from the plumbing section of your local hardware store is great for getting the glass in the rubber strips. It is intended for lubricating faucet O rings so its safe for the rubber. I used regular auto wire for the windshield wiper wires inside the frame. The stuff that MOSS sells isn't heavy enough for the current. I covered the exposed part between the windshield and cowl with a braided shoelace. Looks just like cloth-covered wiring. Not that difficult a job. Just take your time and don't overtighten the screws - or you will be doing it again to replace the windshield you just cracked. Regards, Charles Hill davjak@aol.com wrote:
>The rock chip in my '48 TCs windshield recently spread into a nice crack! I >could not find glass thru the regular sources: Moss, Abingdon etc. What have >others done? It looks to me like any flat Tempered glass should work, just >concerned about the thickness.. >Anyone know of suppliers on Long Island , NY? I would like to install the >glass myself. I am sure the original glass may be used as a template. I have >seen one too many replaced windshields "done up' with phillips head screws in >the frame! >Dave, looking thru a broken windscreen.. > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > >

WDHarmer@aol.com

Post by WDHarmer@aol.com » Thu May 12, 2005 11:54 am

Dave, TC 71?? had the same problem. I took the old glass to my local "All Star" glass outlet. The salesman tried to sell me a load about needing to destroy an entire 4' X 8' piece of glass to cut the tiny TC windscreen. Since so much glass had to be sacrificed, it would run something over $200.00. I took my old broken glass to another shop without the slick salesmen or fancy building. They did a first rate job of cutting to my order. And, since they used a piece left over from a previous job, it was only about $48.00. Getting the frame back on over the glass was the worst part. Patience, my friend, patience. Dan Harmer San Diego, CA, USA '48 TC # 71??

FDShade@aol.com

Post by FDShade@aol.com » Thu May 12, 2005 2:26 pm

In a message dated 5/12/2005 11:58:45 AM Pacific Standard Time, WDHarmer@aol.com writes: Getting the frame back on over the glass was the worst part. --- BUT the local auto glass shop here charged me $20 for the installation - including the rubber. Jim Shade, West Covina CA [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Greg Hoeft

Post by Greg Hoeft » Thu May 12, 2005 3:23 pm

I recently bought a windshield screw set from Moss (323-908) consisting of 28 screws. They were correct 2BA slotted CS. Two long screws were provided for mounting the mirror. Greg Hoeft TC1415 "Venerable Vernette"
>From: Charles Hill candahill@worldnet.att.net> >To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com >Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] MG TC Windshield Glass >Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:13:29 -0500 > >Dave, > >I had one made by a local glass company. They can use your old one as a >template. I took the opportunity to have the frame pieces rechromed at >the same time. > >Some tips from my experience: > >Abindon Spares has the correct screws. MOSS tries to palm off phillips >head screws. They may even be 10X32 instead of 2BA! > >A little silicon grease from the plumbing section of your local hardware >store is great for getting the glass in the rubber strips. It is >intended for lubricating faucet O rings so its safe for the rubber. > >I used regular auto wire for the windshield wiper wires inside the >frame. The stuff that MOSS sells isn't heavy enough for the current. I >covered the exposed part between the windshield and cowl with a braided >shoelace. Looks just like cloth-covered wiring. > >Not that difficult a job. Just take your time and don't overtighten the >screws - or you will be doing it again to replace the windshield you >just cracked. > >Regards, >Charles Hill > >davjak@aol.com wrote: > > >The rock chip in my '48 TCs windshield recently spread into a nice >crack! I > >could not find glass thru the regular sources: Moss, Abingdon etc. What >have > >others done? It looks to me like any flat Tempered glass should work, >just > >concerned about the thickness.. > >Anyone know of suppliers on Long Island , NY? I would like to install the > >glass myself. I am sure the original glass may be used as a template. I >have > >seen one too many replaced windshields "done up' with phillips head >screws in > >the frame! > >Dave, looking thru a broken windscreen.. > > > > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >
_________________________________________________________________ Don t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

DougPulver@aol.com

Post by DougPulver@aol.com » Thu May 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Now I hate both you guys (not really). I did pay $200 for the glass (there is apparently one born every minute and I was born last minute) and had the worst time ever installing it myself. I would say the two hardest things I had to do on TC 5850 were installing the glass in the windscreen and installing the bushings in the shocks. By comparison, most other things seemed much easier. The Moss kit did help quite a bit, although I too ruined several bushings. Doug TC 5850 San Diego, CA -----Original Message----- From: FDShade@aol.com To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:25:14 EDT Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] MG TC Windshield Glass In a message dated 5/12/2005 11:58:45 AM Pacific Standard Time, WDHarmer@aol.com writes: Getting the frame back on over the glass was the worst part. --- BUT the local auto glass shop here charged me $20 for the installation - including the rubber. Jim Shade, West Covina CA [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

fnitz

Post by fnitz » Thu May 12, 2005 8:34 pm

Probably the third most complicated thing is dealing with the brake/clutch pedal shaft and the associated cotter. -----Original Message----- From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of DougPulver@aol.com Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 7:39 PM To: FDShade@aol.com; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] MG TC Windshield Glass Now I hate both you guys (not really). I did pay $200 for the glass (there is apparently one born every minute and I was born last minute) and had the worst time ever installing it myself. I would say the two hardest things I had to do on TC 5850 were installing the glass in the windscreen and installing the bushings in the shocks. By comparison, most other things seemed much easier. The Moss kit did help quite a bit, although I too ruined several bushings. Doug TC 5850 San Diego, CA -----Original Message----- From: FDShade@aol.com To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:25:14 EDT Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] MG TC Windshield Glass In a message dated 5/12/2005 11:58:45 AM Pacific Standard Time, WDHarmer@aol.com writes: Getting the frame back on over the glass was the worst part. --- BUT the local auto glass shop here charged me $20 for the installation - including the rubber. Jim Shade, West Covina CA [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links

joecurto@aol.com

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Fri May 13, 2005 5:25 am

Dave here in Queens we have a glazer who cuts the glass for about 50-60 dollars, instalation is tedious but not hard, make sure all screws are pre-fitted as one too long will result in a nice crack. You should have no problem on Long Island Joe Curto [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

ROSS TAYLOR

Post by ROSS TAYLOR » Sun May 15, 2005 4:34 am

G'Day Took me about 2 hours to fit the glass to the newly chromed frame. The first time I fitted the glass back to front as there is a bigger scollop for the wiper motor than the idler shaft Ross Still here
>Dave, > >TC 71?? had the same problem. I took the old glass to my local "All Star" >glass outlet. The salesman tried to sell me a load about needing to destroy >an entire 4' X 8' piece of glass to cut the tiny TC windscreen. Since so >much glass had to be sacrificed, it would run something over $200.00. >I took my old broken glass to another shop without the slick salesmen or >fancy building. They did a first rate job of cutting to my order. And, >since they used a piece left over from a previous job, it was only about >$48.00. > >Getting the frame back on over the glass was the worst part. Patience, my >friend, patience. > >Dan Harmer >San Diego, CA, USA >'48 TC # 71?? > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >