XPAG Clutch

Mark Jablonski

XPAG Clutch

Post by Mark Jablonski » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:00 pm

Dear Listers I have two clutches both from TC's, one early and one late (so I'm told by my clutch repairer). The late one tapers in on the sides of the cover assembly to meet a slightly hexagonal, flat top surface (if the clutch is lying horizontally). The early one is more cylindrical with vertical sides, a well-radiused top corner and protrusions in the top surface for the pressure spring housings. My query relates to the height of the lever plate (the surface that the release bearing presses on) above the flywheel. The two lever plates are different, the earlier one being heavier. The repairer says that the two plates require setting at 2.1" above the flywheel for the early one and 2.3" for the late one (this is with the clutch bolted to a flywheel with a clutch plate inserted). I don't understand why there should be a difference since the rest of the clutch release mechanism is unchanged, i.e., the clutch release shaft, clevis, bearing and lever. (The bearing didn't change and the same offset was used right through to the MGA.) With the lever plate set at different heights this would place the clutch lever on the side of the bell housing at different angles. Can anyone throw any light on this? Can anyone confirm the correct setting for the lever plates for the two clutch assemblies? Indeed, can anyone confirm that there were two types of clutch assemblies? Mark Jablonski Melbourne, Australia

Paroor

AW: [mg-tabc] XPAG Clutch

Post by Paroor » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:23 am

Hi Mark, My early TC got still the original fittings. Very often the release bearing is replaced. The original ones are of graphite ring. It is difficult to get the original type. The replacements are made of modern bearing needing lubrication. Lubricating the bearing near the clutch plate is very risky. I do not have any experience with late TC model clutch. Please do check the height deference of new type release bearing compared to the old graphite type of release bearing. You may get some better answer from experienced members. madhu -----Urspr ngliche Nachricht----- Von: Mark Jablonski [mailto:m.jablonski@bigpond.com] Gesendet: Freitag, 8. April 2005 06:01 Dear Listers I have two clutches both from TC's, one early and one late (so I'm told by my clutch repairer). The late one tapers in on the sides of the cover assembly to meet a slightly hexagonal, flat top surface (if the clutch is lying horizontally). The early one is more cylindrical with vertical sides, a well-radiused top corner and protrusions in the top surface for the pressure spring housings. My query relates to the height of the lever plate (the surface that the release bearing presses on) above the flywheel. The two lever plates are different, the earlier one being heavier. The repairer says that the two plates require setting at 2.1" above the flywheel for the early one and 2.3" for the late one (this is with the clutch bolted to a flywheel with a clutch plate inserted). I don't understand why there should be a difference since the rest of the clutch release mechanism is unchanged, i.e., the clutch release shaft, clevis, bearing and lever. (The bearing didn't change and the same offset was used right through to the MGA.) With the lever plate set at different heights this would place the clutch lever on the side of the bell housing at different angles. Can anyone throw any light on this? Can anyone confirm the correct setting for the lever plates for the two clutch assemblies? Indeed, can anyone confirm that there were two types of clutch assemblies? Mark Jablonski Melbourne, Australia

Peter Cole

Re: XPAG Clutch

Post by Peter Cole » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:21 am

Mark, I spent a lot of time trying to find the setting information for the TC clutch, which is still being made, and now goes under the part number 46082/22. Originally the clutch was set using a setting fixture, which every garage kept on the self for this purpose. Sadly those days have long since gone and these jigs are now as rare as hens' teeth, although I know Carl Cederstrand managed to find one. The quest for information was made more difficult because the clutch was originally made by Borg and Beck, but they were taken over by Lockheed, and now the business has metamorphosised into Delphi Automotive Components. I eventually made contact with an application engineer there who kindly sent me setting details for all their lever type clutches, together with details of how to make a simple setting fixture that can be used to make this adjustment. I attach copies of these details for your information. Since these will be deleted from the copy to the list, if anyone else needs a copy please contact me off-list. Regards Peter Cole. Mark Jablonski wrote:
>Dear Listers > >I have two clutches both from TC's, one early and one late (so I'm >told by my clutch repairer). The late one tapers in on the sides of >the cover assembly to meet a slightly hexagonal, flat top surface (if >the clutch is lying horizontally). The early one is more cylindrical >with vertical sides, a well-radiused top corner and protrusions in >the top surface for the pressure spring housings. > >My query relates to the height of the lever plate (the surface that >the release bearing presses on) above the flywheel. The two lever >plates are different, the earlier one being heavier. The repairer >says that the two plates require setting at 2.1" above the flywheel >for the early one and 2.3" for the late one (this is with the clutch >bolted to a flywheel with a clutch plate inserted). > >I don't understand why there should be a difference since the rest of >the clutch release mechanism is unchanged, i.e., the clutch release >shaft, clevis, bearing and lever. (The bearing didn't change and the >same offset was used right through to the MGA.) With the lever plate >set at different heights this would place the clutch lever on the >side of the bell housing at different angles. > >Can anyone throw any light on this? Can anyone confirm the correct >setting for the lever plates for the two clutch assemblies? Indeed, >can anyone confirm that there were two types of clutch assemblies? > >Mark Jablonski >Melbourne, Australia > > > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > >

Mark Jablonski

Post by Mark Jablonski » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:39 am

Hi Peter Thanks for the details. The setting for clutch No. 46082/22 corresponds to my late clutch which has this number on the side and which I was told had to be set to a height of 2.3" (close enough to the specified 58.04mm) My other (early) clutch is marked (in felt tip pen) 45686/16 which does not appear in the list. However the setting I was given is the same as that for 45686/23 - 2.1" (53.21mm). In both cases the clutch plate thicknesses correspond with what I was give for the TC. This still doesn't answer my doubts about this so- called early clutch assembly. I'm not sure whether it is OK to use in the TC. Have you used the setting gauge? Do you know whether it is to be used without the pressure springs in the assembly or is the bolted on top plate meant to be pulled down against the spring pressure? Cheers Mark Jablonski
> I attach copies of these details for your information. > Regards > Peter Cole.

Mark Jablonski

Post by Mark Jablonski » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:48 am

Madhu, As you have an early TC, does your clutch have a part number on the side? Does it match the descriptions I gave in my first posting of either of my clutches? My early clutch is marked 45686/16. My later clutch has the part No.46082/22. I haven't had any problem getting a carbon thrust bearing. My understanding is that these were used all the way through to the MGA with the same height from bearing surface to trunnion centres. My new bearing is somewhat lighter in construction than the original (i.e., using less cast iron) and has less graphite so it will wear out a little sooner. If we can get them here in the Antipodes you should be able to get new carbon bearings in Europe. I've also heard that it used to be possible to refurbish old housings with new graphite rings. I'm not sure whether the rings are still available but I imagine graphite in rod or bar must be available. It would be fairly easy to machine. Regards Mark Jablonski
--- In mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com, "Paroor" wrote: > Hi Mark, > My early TC got still the original fittings. Very often the release > bearing is replaced. The original ones are of graphite ring. It is difficult > to get the original type.

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:03 pm

Peter wrote, "I eventually made contact with an application engineer there who kindly sent me setting details for all their lever type clutches, together with details of how to make a simple setting fixture that can be used to make this adjustment." Peter, Any chance these could be sent to Waler for inclusion on the website? And if not, I'd like a copy for my records. Gene Gillam GOF South One day before a trip around the Sebring Race Track in a TC.