MGTC era music

Gene Wescott

MGTC era music

Post by Gene Wescott » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:19 pm

I live in Fairbanks Alaska, and have the only TC in the area, maybe in Alaska. I belong to a local branch of the Antique Automobile Club of America. We have local weekly events in the summer, and a joint summer gathering with a similar, but larger group from Anchorage. One of our members has a white 64 Corvette convertable. During our auto shows and meets, plays loud obnoxious music from the 60's. I would like to counter with appropriate English music, suitable for a TC. I have a nice CD of Vera Lynn songs which I could play from my car. I think most of her repertoire is from the 40's. Would this be appropriate 47 TC era music to counter the Corvette trash? Gene Wescot, 47 TC, 48 TC

murray arundell

Re: MGTC era music

Post by murray arundell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:28 pm

Get a recording or "Last Night of The Proms"......... That should do it ! Or better still, disconnect the battery and handbrake and let it roll down a hill in silence! Murray Arundell
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Wescott" gene.wescott@gi.alaska.edu> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Cc: "gene M wescott" gene.wescott@gi.alaska.edu> Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 8:24 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] Re:MGTC era music > > I live in Fairbanks Alaska, and have the only TC in the area, maybe in > Alaska. I belong to a local branch of the Antique Automobile Club of > America. We have local weekly events in the summer, and a joint summer > gathering with a similar, but larger group from Anchorage. One of our > members has a white 64 Corvette convertable. During our auto shows and > meets, plays loud obnoxious music from the 60's. I would like to counter > with appropriate English music, suitable for a TC. I have a nice CD of > Vera > Lynn songs which I could play from my car. I think most of her repertoire > is from the 40's. Would this be appropriate 47 TC era music to counter > the > Corvette trash? > > Gene Wescot, > 47 TC, 48 TC > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > >

DickShaler@aol.com

Post by DickShaler@aol.com » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:59 pm

Right on Gene. There is nothing like Vera Lynns "When The Lights Come On again All Over the World" or "The White Cliffs Of Dover". Those tunes and a long backroads drive in our TCs will surely bring some small bit of sense to this troubled world. At least for us if not everyone. Regards To All, Dick [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

tony goodall

Post by tony goodall » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:10 pm

Gene Check out www.1940.co.uk/history/sound/sound.htm It's wartime music in the main, but you could follow up on the Joe Loss stuff and one or two of the others. The Hot Club of Paris was also popular (Stefan Grappelli and Django Reinhart) For light piano music - Charlie Kunz and the Casani club - available from Amazon Cheers Tony tc9825
On 3 Mar 2005, at 22:24, Gene Wescott wrote: > > I live in Fairbanks Alaska, and have the only TC in the area, maybe in > Alaska. I belong to a local branch of the Antique Automobile Club of > America. We have local weekly events in the summer, and a joint summer > gathering with a similar, but larger group from Anchorage. One of our > members has a white 64 Corvette convertable. During our auto shows and > meets, plays loud obnoxious music from the 60's. I would like to > counter > with appropriate English music, suitable for a TC. I have a nice CD > of Vera > Lynn songs which I could play from my car. I think most of her > repertoire > is from the 40's. Would this be appropriate 47 TC era music to > counter the > Corvette trash? > > Gene Wescot, > 47 TC, 48 TC > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:32 pm

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:24 -0900, Gene Wescott wrote:
> One of our members has a white 64 Corvette convertable. During our auto > shows and meets, plays loud obnoxious music from the 60's. I would like > to counter with appropriate English music, suitable for a TC. I have a > nice CD of Vera Lynn songs which I could play from my car. I think most > of her repertoire is from the 40's. Would this be appropriate 47 TC era > music to counter the Corvette trash?
I've found bagpipe music, played very loud, to be effective in situations like that. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland fold@bcpl.net

tony goodall

Post by tony goodall » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:34 pm

Another nice point - on the day my tc was registered (Thursday 20th October 1949) I would have been in the art class at the Junior school that I attended in Derby. The art master always played a particular French love song - why ? who knows. It was J'Attendrai - most likely sung by Jean Sablon. Tony tc 9825
On 3 Mar 2005, at 22:24, Gene Wescott wrote: > > I live in Fairbanks Alaska, and have the only TC in the area, maybe in > Alaska. I belong to a local branch of the Antique Automobile Club of > America. We have local weekly events in the summer, and a joint summer > gathering with a similar, but larger group from Anchorage. One of our > members has a white 64 Corvette convertable. During our auto shows and > meets, plays loud obnoxious music from the 60's. I would like to > counter > with appropriate English music, suitable for a TC. I have a nice CD > of Vera > Lynn songs which I could play from my car. I think most of her > repertoire > is from the 40's. Would this be appropriate 47 TC era music to > counter the > Corvette trash? > > Gene Wescot, > 47 TC, 48 TC > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

kdcamer@magma.ca

Post by kdcamer@magma.ca » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:17 pm

Ahh, Nostalgia, ain't it grand! We can forget that there didn't seem to be much sense in the world when Vera Lynn was singing those songs :) David Cameron
>Right on Gene. There is nothing like Vera Lynns "When The Lights Come On >again All Over the World" or "The White Cliffs Of Dover". Those tunes and a
long
>backroads drive in our TCs will surely bring some small bit of sense to this >troubled world. At least for us if not everyone. > >Regards To All, > Dick > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

Ed Pohle

Post by Ed Pohle » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:42 pm

Gene - More than appropriate. The problem is they probably don't know who she is. Vera Lynn has a couple of CD's out but they are not the remastered originals. Unfortunately her voice is not what it once was and to make matters worse she's accompanied by an organ. If you can find the original "We'll Meet Again" that she sang at the USO during WWII you'll have a real show stopper! Vera Lynn was to the Brits what Edith Piaf was to the French. I used to hear it in the USO and it never failed to have an impact. Maybe our friends on the Island could locate a copy of the original. I have one taped off a radio broadcast many years ago, the quality is not good but I could try to transfer it to a CD if you're interested. Ed Pohle Squaw Valley, CA

Chip Hellie

Post by Chip Hellie » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:00 pm

Hi, I never heard of Vera, but I've seen Amber and Ginger Lynn. Don't think they sing however, they are "actors" I believe... This talk about Vera seems to be a popular subject, but really stretching the TABC topic idea a bit...? Chip Hellie (Alice Cooper generation) --- Ed Pohle pohle@jps.net> wrote:
> > Gene - More than appropriate. The problem is they > probably don't know who > she is. Vera Lynn has a couple of CD's out but they > are not the remastered > originals. Unfortunately her voice is not what it > once was and to make > matters worse she's accompanied by an organ. If you > can find the original > "We'll Meet Again" that she sang at the USO during > WWII you'll have a real > show stopper! Vera Lynn was to the Brits what Edith > Piaf was to the French. > I used to hear it in the USO and it never failed to > have an impact. Maybe > our friends on the Island could locate a copy of the > original. I have one > taped off a radio broadcast many years ago, the > quality is not good but I > could try to transfer it to a CD if you're > interested. > > Ed Pohle > Squaw Valley, CA > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > mg-tabc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > >
__________________________________ Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday! Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/

DOUGLAS CROFT

Post by DOUGLAS CROFT » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:59 am

Hi everyone, What about a tape of the sweetest music in all the world. A TC with suitable tuned XPAG being driven around Silverstone (or anwhere else for that matter) Doug Croft 1946 TC1331, 1964 James sports captain Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]