tyres tire

green47tc

tyres tire

Post by green47tc » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:23 am

I did not mean to upset anyone by using "tire". I aggree that as a group we spend a lot of time trying to get the details correct (although I must confess there is an occaisional week when I do not polish the headlight reflectors}. It is true that Americans have borrowed many words from our brothers over the water, such as chauffer, chassis, coupe, cab(from cabriolet), etc; but we should try to get it right. According to the Oxford English Dictionary "TYRE- A variant spelling of TIRE, both being used indifferently in the 15th and 16th C. In the 17th C TIRE became the setteled spelling, and has so continued in the US; in Gt Britain TYRE has been revived for the pneumatic tires of bicycles, carriages, and motorcars." Since Tyre was most associated with originality I agree we should use this form. My apologies to all. I sure hope we we never discuss the carburateur/carurettor/carburetor gene olson driving on the wrong side of the road

Chip Hellie

Re: tyres tire

Post by Chip Hellie » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:00 pm

Gene, If one studies the English language, one can see how it has evolved through the decades. When the letter "F" was used in place of "S" in olde English, it made some rather interesting reading. My take on it all is "coin of the realm". Use the spelling and grammar of your region. The differences is what makes us interesting. Just remember not to "S"uck up the sauce, if too hot. Chip --- green47tc green47tc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I did not mean to upset anyone by using "tire". I > aggree that as a > group we spend a lot of time trying to get the > details correct > (although I must confess there is an occaisional > week when I do not > polish the headlight reflectors}. It is true that > Americans have > borrowed many words from our brothers over the > water, such as > chauffer, chassis, coupe, cab(from cabriolet), etc; > but we should > try to get it right. According to the Oxford > English Dictionary > "TYRE- A variant spelling of TIRE, both being used > indifferently in > the 15th and 16th C. In the 17th C TIRE became the > setteled > spelling, and has so continued in the US; in Gt > Britain TYRE has > been revived for the pneumatic tires of bicycles, > carriages, and > motorcars." > Since Tyre was most associated with originality I > agree we should > use this form. My apologies to all. > I sure hope we we never discuss the > carburateur/carurettor/carburetor > gene olson > driving on the wrong side of the road > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > mg-tabc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? The all-new My Yahoo! - What will yours do? http://my.yahoo.com

Narfman96 - Narfland Studio

Post by Narfman96 - Narfland Studio » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:01 pm

I think Ray had it right all this time - he often reverts to Latin.
----- Original Message ----- From: "green47tc" green47tc@yahoo.com> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 2:23 PM Subject: [mg-tabc] tyres tire > > > I did not mean to upset anyone by using "tire". I aggree that as a > group we spend a lot of time trying to get the details correct > (although I must confess there is an occaisional week when I do not > polish the headlight reflectors}. It is true that Americans have > borrowed many words from our brothers over the water, such as > chauffer, chassis, coupe, cab(from cabriolet), etc; but we should > try to get it right. According to the Oxford English Dictionary > "TYRE- A variant spelling of TIRE, both being used indifferently in > the 15th and 16th C. In the 17th C TIRE became the setteled > spelling, and has so continued in the US; in Gt Britain TYRE has > been revived for the pneumatic tires of bicycles, carriages, and > motorcars." > Since Tyre was most associated with originality I agree we should > use this form. My apologies to all. > I sure hope we we never discuss the carburateur/carurettor/carburetor > gene olson > driving on the wrong side of the road > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

Mark McCombs

Post by Mark McCombs » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:13 pm

I think its best to remember that 'carburetor' is a french word meaning 'leave it alone'. I
> > I sure hope we we never discuss the carburateur/carurettor/carburetor > > gene olson > > driving on the wrong side of the road
Regards Mark TC8126

DougPulver@aol.com

Post by DougPulver@aol.com » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:45 pm

OK, I give up. What is the Latin word for "tyre" or "tire"? In a message dated 2/8/2005 5:02:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, "tc1197" tgill2@tampabay.rr.com> writes: I think Ray had it right all this time - he often reverts to Latin.

LuckyFloridaLin@aol.com

Post by LuckyFloridaLin@aol.com » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:32 pm

How about TYRRANUS REX- Got a tyre in their somewhere and it is latin. Tally Ho! Thom [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

fnitz

Post by fnitz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:50 pm

Don't forget that Tyre is also an ancient Phoenician city -----Original Message----- From: LuckyFloridaLin@aol.com [mailto:LuckyFloridaLin@aol.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:32 PM To: DougPulver@aol.com; tgill2@tampabay.rr.com; green47tc@yahoo.com; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] tyres tire How about TYRRANUS REX- Got a tyre in their somewhere and it is latin. Tally Ho! Thom [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Yahoo! Groups Links

Narfman96 - Narfland Studio

Post by Narfman96 - Narfland Studio » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:56 pm

Tiber?
----- Original Message ----- From: DougPulver@aol.com> To: ""tc1197"" tgill2@tampabay.rr.com>; ""green47tc"" green47tc@yahoo.com>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:42 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] tyres tire > OK, I give up. What is the Latin word for "tyre" or "tire"? > > In a message dated 2/8/2005 5:02:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, "tc1197" > tgill2@tampabay.rr.com> writes: > > > I think Ray had it right all this time - he often reverts to Latin. > >

David Lodge

Post by David Lodge » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:50 pm

Hello, And while we're all busy bashing each other, could you good people on this side of the pond please say coup (that's coop-ay NOT coop!) When you realise that the first pronunciation means cut, as in chopped, and the second means cup........... need I say more? I mean, whoever heard of a car resembling a cup? Regards to all, David (who-has-been-known-to-cheer- out-loud-when-Christiane-Annanpour-takes-that-young- lady-to-task-on-CNN-for-the-way-she-pronounces-Iraq- and-Iran) Lodge ----- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ----- From: "green47tc" green47tc@yahoo.com> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] tyres tire Date: 8.2.2005 - 20:23:14
> > > I did not mean to upset anyone by using "tire". I > aggree that as a > group we spend a lot of time trying to get the details > correct > (although I must confess there is an occaisional week > when I do not > polish the headlight reflectors}. It is true that > Americans have > borrowed many words from our brothers over the water, > such as > chauffer, chassis, coupe, cab(from cabriolet), etc; but > we should > try to get it right. According to the Oxford English > Dictionary > "TYRE- A variant spelling of TIRE, both being used > indifferently in > the 15th and 16th C. In the 17th C TIRE became the > setteled > spelling, and has so continued in the US; in Gt Britain > TYRE has > been revived for the pneumatic tires of bicycles, > carriages, and > motorcars." > Since Tyre was most associated with originality I agree > we should > use this form. My apologies to all. > I sure hope we we never discuss the > carburateur/carurettor/carburetor > gene olson > driving on the wrong side of the road > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >
-- Akcni unorova nabidka "3 za cenu 1"! Ziskejte VOLNY ADSL 512/128 3GB za cenu 1GB! http://adsl.volny.cz

David Lodge

Post by David Lodge » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:54 pm

Tiberius, surely? Regards, David Lodge ----- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ----- From: "tc1197" tgill2@tampabay.rr.com> To: DougPulver@aol.com,"'green47tc'" green47tc@yahoo.com>,mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] tyres tire Date: 9.2.2005 - 2:56:22
> > Tiber? > ----- Original Message ----- > From: DougPulver@aol.com> > To: ""tc1197"" tgill2@tampabay.rr.com>; ""green47tc"" > green47tc@yahoo.com>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:42 PM > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] tyres tire > > > > OK, I give up. What is the Latin word for "tyre" or > > "tire"? > > > > In a message dated 2/8/2005 5:02:13 PM Eastern > > Standard Time, "tc1197" > > tgill2@tampabay.rr.com> writes: > > > > > > I think Ray had it right all this time - he often > > reverts to Latin. > > > > > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >
-- Akcni unorova nabidka "3 za cenu 1"! Ziskejte VOLNY ADSL 512/128 3GB za cenu 1GB! http://adsl.volny.cz