clips for TC girling dampers

Wim Jetten

clips for TC girling dampers

Post by Wim Jetten » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:54 am

Attachments :
    [*][url=file:///C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\PG Offline 4\Attachments\\20190313_151312.jpg]20190313_151312.jpg[/url]
Hello,

I am putting new seals in a set of Girling lever dampers (front axle) and found that on one of the dampers 2 of the 4 clips that hold the two pistons together were broken. See attached picture. I am looking for a source for these clips. What are they called anyway? If I knew I could search better. If this type of clip is difficult or impossible to get, is there a suggestion for an alternative part that could be used?

Regards,

Wim Jetten

TC 2399

doug fromtheframeup.com

Re: clips for TC Girling dampers

Post by doug fromtheframeup.com » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Attachments : FTFU has this and all of the internal clips and other parts available for the TC shocks.

[b][i]Doug Pelton,[/i][/b] Proprietor

[b][i]  [/i][/b]

From The Frame Up

3030 S. 40th St., Suite 5

Phoenix, AZ  85040

480-588-8185

For Fastest Service:  order@fromtheframeup.com

Like us on FACEBOOK!

See us on YouTUBE!

www.FromTheFrameUp.com

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]On Behalf Of [/b]Frank Graham frankgraham@msn.com [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:27 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com; Wim Jetten jetten@bluewin.ch> [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] clips for TC girling dampers

Wim,

I believe that the modern equivalent of these clip would be an internal circlip (also known as a lock ring, snap ring  or horseshoe clip). The re-curved portion of the original clips permitted them to be compressed and installed or removed with a simple needle nose plier. The internal circlip would function the same way but requires an internal circlip plier with hardened tips to engage the small holes in the clip to install or remove. I would doubt that the original style clips are still made. 

Frank    

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of 'Wim Jetten' jetten@bluewin.ch [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:54 AM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] clips for TC girling dampers [1 Attachment]

Hello,

I am putting new seals in a set of Girling lever dampers (front axle) and found that on one of the dampers 2 of the 4 clips that hold the two pistons together were broken. See attached picture. I am looking for a source for these clips. What are they called anyway? If I knew I could search better. If this type of clip is difficult or impossible to get, is there a suggestion for an alternative part that could be used?

Regards,

Wim Jetten

TC 2399

Frank Graham

Post by Frank Graham » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:25 am

Attachments : #ygrps-yiv-624903500 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} Doug, Have you found a source for the original clips or are you using a modern internal circlip? Do the originals clips have a unique name? They were beefier but I would suspect that modern clips might be made of better alloys. Frank [b]From:[/b] doug fromtheframeup.com doug@fromtheframeup.com> [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:51 PM [b]To:[/b] Frank Graham; mg-tabc group [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [mg-tabc] clips for TC Girling dampers   FTFU has this and all of the internal clips and other parts available for the TC shocks.

[b][i] [/i][/b]

From The Frame Up

Phoenix, AZ  85040

480-588-8185

Like us on FACEBOOK!

See us on YouTUBE!

www.FromTheFrameUp.com

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]On Behalf Of [/b] Frank Graham frankgraham@msn.com [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:27 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com; Wim Jetten jetten@bluewin.ch> [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] clips for TC girling dampers

Wim,

I believe that the modern equivalent of these clip would be an internal circlip (also known as a lock ring, snap ring  or horseshoe clip). The re-curved portion of the original clips permitted them to be compressed and installed or removed with a simple needle nose plier. The internal circlip would function the same way but requires an internal circlip plier with hardened tips to engage the small holes in the clip to install or remove. I would doubt that the original style clips are still made. 

Frank    

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of 'Wim Jetten' jetten@bluewin.ch [mg-tabc] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com> [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, March 13, 2019 10:54 AM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] clips for TC girling dampers [1 Attachment]

Hello,

Regards,

Wim Jetten

TC 2399

doug fromtheframeup.com

Post by doug fromtheframeup.com » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:38 am

Attachments : FTFU manufactures the clip per original specs.

[b][i]Please note: [/i][/b] FTFU also manufactures over many other parts for TABC and provides to other suppliers for resale.  Please check with us first for your needs, it will probably save you money.

[b][i]  [/i][/b]

From The Frame Up

Phoenix, AZ  85040

480-588-8185

Like us on FACEBOOK!

See us on YouTUBE!

www.FromTheFrameUp.com

[b]From:[/b] Frank Graham frankgraham@msn.com> [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:25 AM [b]To:[/b] doug fromtheframeup.com doug@fromtheframeup.com>; mg-tabc group mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] clips for TC Girling dampers

Doug,

Have you found a source for the original clips or are you using a modern internal circlip? Do the originals clips have a unique name? They were beefier but I would suspect that modern clips might be made of better alloys.

Frank

[b]From:[/b] doug fromtheframeup.com doug@fromtheframeup.com> [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, March 13, 2019 5:51 PM [b]To:[/b] Frank Graham; mg-tabc group [b]Subject:[/b] RE: [mg-tabc] clips for TC Girling dampers

FTFU has this and all of the internal clips and other parts available for the TC shocks.

[b][i] [/i][/b]

From The Frame Up

Phoenix, AZ  85040

480-588-8185

Like us on FACEBOOK!

See us on YouTUBE!

www.FromTheFrameUp.com

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]On Behalf Of [/b]Frank Graham frankgraham@msn.com [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:27 PM [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com; Wim Jetten jetten@bluewin.ch> [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] clips for TC girling dampers

Wim,

Frank    

Hello,

Regards,

Wim Jetten

TC 2399