Transmission oiling-- tow-bar for MG TC......

clovermachine@sbcglobal.net

Transmission oiling-- tow-bar for MG TC......

Post by clovermachine@sbcglobal.net » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:06 am

If you tow a TC disconnect the drive shaft at the differential and secure it up out of the way securely. The upper transmission needle and ball bearings are lubricated only when the laygear (bathed in oil) is rotating and that means the engine has to be running. Otherwise, the drive shaft will be spinning the transmission main shaft inside stationary, and eventually dry 2nd and 3rd gear needle bearings, rear ball and input shaft needle bearings. The bearings will be wondering where the live sustaining oil is...it will be sleeping soundly in the bottom of the gearbox. Some vehicles have transmissions made for towing like Jeeps etc. Bill Traill TC 5221
> > > > Hi Mg-folks! > Planning to build in the near future a (very) small caravan for my > MG TC. Does there exist perhaps a drawing of constructing a tow-bar? I > presume it never was sold new.......

Norman Verona

Re: Transmission oiling-- tow-bar for MG TC......

Post by Norman Verona » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:01 am

Bill,

I think the idea is to tow a caravan with the TC, not the other way around.

[b][i]Norman Verona[/i][/b]

11 Cherry Close, Royston, South Yorkshire S71 4LZ

Phone: 0044 (0)1226 728811

Mob: 0044 (0)741 9905 741

[b][i]Web: www.frenchblat.com[/i][/b]

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] [b]On Behalf Of [/b]bill@clovermachine.com [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] 10 January 2018 16:07 [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Transmission oiling-- tow-bar for MG TC......

If you tow a TC disconnect the drive shaft at the differential and secure it up out of the way securely. The upper transmission needle and ball bearings are lubricated only when the laygear (bathed in oil) is rotating and that means the engine has to be running. Otherwise, the drive shaft will be spinning the transmission main shaft inside stationary, and eventually dry 2nd and 3rd gear needle bearings, rear ball and input shaft needle bearings. The bearings will be wondering where the live sustaining oil is...it will be sleeping soundly in the bottom of the gearbox. Some vehicles have transmissions made for towing like Jeeps etc. Bill Traill TC 5221
> > > > Hi Mg-folks!  > Planning to build in the near future  a (very) small caravan for my > MG TC. Does there exist perhaps a drawing of constructing a tow-bar? I > presume it never was sold new.......

clovermachine@sbcglobal.net

Re: Transmission oiling-- tow-bar for MG TC......

Post by clovermachine@sbcglobal.net » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:14 am

Norman, Yes! Wouldn't get very far with my advice in that case! Bill