Spin on oil filter flow direction?

Art King

Spin on oil filter flow direction?

Post by Art King » Wed May 08, 2002 8:55 am

Bob, I have a spin-on oil filter adapter that came with my TC when I bought it in '91. How would I be able to tell whether the oil is flowing in the correct direction without seeing whether it has the internal cross-drilling? Thanks, Art King TC 3944

Robert Grunau

Re: Spin on oil filter flow direction?

Post by Robert Grunau » Wed May 08, 2002 9:15 am

Hi Art, Remove the top center banjo bolt and see if it is drilled straight through down the middle. If yes, then not cross drilled. Also you could remove the spin-on filter and crank the engine to see where the oil exits the adapter ( it should be the side ). Some early spin-on adapters ( not mine ! ) had a brass 3/4" threaded nipple to hold the spin-on filter. In some cases these brass nipples were held in place in the adapter with a simple set screw. Bad practise. I know of at least two filter failures where the nipple pulled out of the housing dropping the spin-on filter on the road. Instant loss of oil pressure!! These early adapters also had the banjo bolts thread directly into the aluminum housing. My adapters have a threaded steel boss with 1" hex head which threads into the aluminum adapter, loctited and torqued to 90 ft-lbs torque. Also I use steel inserts to accept the banjo bolts. These inserts are threaded into the aluminum adapter,.loctited and torqued to 90 ft-lbs. This means your filter and banjo bolts are threaded into steel so if being removed there is no wear. The thread into the aluminum housing is never disturbed. Regards, Bob Grunau Bob, I have a spin-on oil filter adapter that came with my TC when I bought it in '91. How would I be able to tell whether the oil is flowing in the correct direction without seeing whether it has the internal cross-drilling? Thanks, Art King --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.351 / Virus Database: 197 - Release Date: 4/19/02

Dave Norris

Post by Dave Norris » Wed May 08, 2002 11:35 am

Bob/Art et al, I also bought my TC in '91 and it also came with a spin-on adaptor. It's sand-cast, as opposed to the current machined variety. Does anyone know who made these? Cheers, Dave TC9964 Sunny Aberdeen
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Grunau" cgrunau@pathcom.com> To: "Art King" aek0@lehigh.edu>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 4:04 PM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Spin on oil filter flow direction? > Hi Art, > Remove the top center banjo bolt and see if it is drilled straight through > down the middle. If yes, then not cross drilled. Also you could remove the > ........> > Bob, > I have a spin-on oil filter adapter that came with my TC when I bought > it in '91. How would I be able to tell whether the oil is flowing in the > correct direction without seeing whether it has the internal > cross-drilling? >

Art King

Post by Art King » Wed May 08, 2002 11:47 am

Dave, I haven't had a close look in a couple of weeks (but will tonight after work) but I think it was sand-cast and then some machining done to smooth out some of the rough spots. As I recall back then Phil Marino was making them, but my memory may be faulty. I also know that the previous owner had most of his work done at M&G in New York, but don't know if they produced the spin on converter. I know that there are no identification markings on it. Art Dave Norris wrote:
> Bob/Art et al, > I also bought my TC in '91 and it also came with a spin-on adaptor. It's > sand-cast, as opposed to the current machined variety. Does anyone know who > made these? > Cheers, > Dave > TC9964 > Sunny Aberdeen > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Robert Grunau" cgrunau@pathcom.com> > To: "Art King" aek0@lehigh.edu>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 4:04 PM > Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Spin on oil filter flow direction? > > > Hi Art, > > Remove the top center banjo bolt and see if it is drilled straight through > > down the middle. If yes, then not cross drilled. Also you could remove the > > ........> > > Bob, > > I have a spin-on oil filter adapter that came with my TC when I bought > > it in '91. How would I be able to tell whether the oil is flowing in the > > correct direction without seeing whether it has the internal > > cross-drilling? > >

David & Joyce Edgar

Post by David & Joyce Edgar » Wed May 08, 2002 12:03 pm

Phil Marino's oil filter adapters were machined from solid stock and not sand cast. Phil also cross drilled his adapters and as an added feature drilled TWO passages from the top center to make sure there was enough oil flow. David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California At 2:47 PM -0400 5/8/02, Art King wrote:
>I think it was sand-cast and then some machining done to smooth out some of >the rough spots. As I recall back then Phil Marino was making them, but my >memory may be faulty.

Eric Worpe

Post by Eric Worpe » Thu May 09, 2002 1:20 am

Hi Dave, Some of the cast oil filter adaptors were made by Ray Sales in Bracknell, UK. The oil flow through the element was in the wrong direction, which was potentially harmfull if the screw on filter had a flap valve ( to prevent drain back ). Such a valve would prevent oil flow through the filter and the oil gallery would be fed via. the oil filter by-pass valve instead. Regards, Eric.

i.thomson@talk21.com

Post by i.thomson@talk21.com » Thu May 09, 2002 8:19 am

I find this thread very interesting and, having an original housing modified to take a replacement oil filter I am wondering if these filters are designed to feed from the centre or the middle. I have not had any problems with it in 12 years, apart from wondering if the clearances within the housing might be losing me oil pressure. Has anyone any thoughts on this? Ian Thomson ----------
> Hi Art, >Remove the top center banjo bolt and see if it is drilled straight through >down the middle. If yes, then not cross drilled. Also you could remove the >spin-on filter and crank the engine to see where the oil exits the adapter >( it should be the side ). > >Some early spin-on adapters ( not mine ! ) had a brass 3/4" threaded nipple >to hold the spin-on filter. In some cases these brass nipples were held in >place in the adapter with a simple set screw. Bad practise. I know of at >least two filter failures where the nipple pulled out of the housing >dropping the spin-on filter on the road. Instant loss of oil pressure!! >These early adapters also had the banjo bolts thread directly into the >aluminum housing. > >My adapters have a threaded steel boss with 1" hex head which threads into >the aluminum adapter, loctited and torqued to 90 ft-lbs torque. Also I use >steel inserts to accept the banjo bolts. These inserts are threaded into the >aluminum adapter,.loctited and torqued to 90 ft-lbs. This means your filter >and banjo bolts are threaded into steel so if being removed there is no >wear. The thread into the aluminum housing is never disturbed. >Regards, Bob Grunau > >Bob, >I have a spin-on oil filter adapter that came with my TC when I bought >it in '91. How would I be able to tell whether the oil is flowing in the >correct direction without seeing whether it has the internal >cross-drilling? > >Thanks, >Art King > > > >--- >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://talk21.btopenworld.com/redirect. ... risoft.com)'>http://www.grisoft.com) >Version: 6.0.351 / Virus Database: 197 - Release Date: 4/19/02 > > > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://talk21.btopenworld.com/redirect. ... /terms/>
-------------------- talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at http://www.talk21.com