Age test! NO LBC CONTENT

Ray

Age test! NO LBC CONTENT

Post by Ray » Tue May 07, 2002 10:45 am

Hey, our cars are old.....but what about the membership? Best, Ray
>>> See how many you remember!!!!!!!!!!!
Older than dirt.......... My Dad was cleaning out my grandmother's house and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old. ********************************************************* How Many Do You Remember?? * Head lights dimmer switches on the floor * Ignition switches on the dashboard * Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall * Real ice boxes [Ask your Mom about that] * Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. * Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner. * Using hand signals for cars without turn signals. ******************************************* Older Than Dirt Quiz Count all the ones that you remember- not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom. 1. Blackjack chewing gum 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water 3. Candy cigarettes 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottle 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers 7. Party lines 8. Newsreels before the movie 9. P.F. Flyers 10. Butch wax 11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive -6933) 12. Peashooters 13. Howdy Doody 14. 45 RPM records 15. S&H Green Stamps 16. Hi-fi's 17. Metal ice trays with lever 18. Mimeograph paper 19. Blue flashbulb 20. Packards 21. Roller skate keys 22. Cork popguns 23. Drive-ins 24. Studebakers 25. Wash tub wringers If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age, Darling.... If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

Bullwinkle

Re: Age test! NO LBC CONTENT

Post by Bullwinkle » Tue May 07, 2002 8:51 pm

All: I'm older than dirt: Crank telephones Reel lawn mowers Starter push buttons on the dash Starter buttons under the clutch pedal Column gear shifts Hudsons, Nashes, and Studebaker pickups Coal heating and cook stoves Baths in a wash tub in front of the heatrola Kerosine lamps (no electricity) Windmills for water and electric chargers. Sad irons (Irons heated on the coal range) Butter churns Newsreel, cartoon, Industry on Parade or a National Geography short and the coming attractions all before the main feature. Radio, and no TV. And I was born in 1944! Blake

Charles Hill

Post by Charles Hill » Tue May 07, 2002 9:11 pm

Blake, You forgot outhouses. I also remember watching my father running a water pipe from the well to my grandmother's kitchen. Indoor plumbing! Charles Hill Youngster, born in 1945

RonMGTC@aol.com

Post by RonMGTC@aol.com » Tue May 07, 2002 9:38 pm

In a message dated 5/7/2002 11:13:55 PM Central Daylight Time, candahill@worldnet.att.net writes: > You had pipes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ron

Sam Suklis

Post by Sam Suklis » Tue May 07, 2002 9:56 pm

You had a Kitchen!!!!!!!!!! Sam SS
----- Original Message ----- From: RonMGTC@aol.com> To: candahill@worldnet.att.net>; yd3@nvc.net> Cc: Spook01@comcast.net>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 9:37 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Age test! NO LBC CONTENT > In a message dated 5/7/2002 11:13:55 PM Central Daylight Time, > candahill@worldnet.att.net writes: > > my grandmother's kitchen. >> > > You had pipes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > Ron > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed May 08, 2002 1:50 am

I was cleaning out the attic the other day with my 12 year old son when he got all excited because he had found a "new" kind of telephone - it had a round dial on it that spins to get the numbers! Badger

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed May 08, 2002 1:57 am

You had a grandmother????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Badger
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sam Suklis" ssp15@attbi.com> To: candahill@worldnet.att.net>; yd3@nvc.net>; RonMGTC@aol.com> Cc: Spook01@comcast.net>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 12:59 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Age test! NO LBC CONTENT > You had a Kitchen!!!!!!!!!! > Sam > SS > ----- Original Message ----- > From: RonMGTC@aol.com> > To: candahill@worldnet.att.net>; yd3@nvc.net> > Cc: Spook01@comcast.net>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 9:37 PM > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Age test! NO LBC CONTENT > > > > In a message dated 5/7/2002 11:13:55 PM Central Daylight Time, > > candahill@worldnet.att.net writes: > > > > to > > my grandmother's kitchen. >> > > > > You had pipes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > > > Ron > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Wed May 08, 2002 5:48 am

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, BADGER wrote to MG-TABC:
> I was cleaning out the attic the other day with my 12 year old son when > he got all excited because he had found a "new" kind of telephone - it > had a round dial on it that spins to get the numbers! Badger
What's it doing in the attic? Three of the five phones in my house are old dial phones. One of them has been in continuous use since 1954, when it replaced the dial-less phone we used when we were still on a party line. You picked up the phone and waited for the operator to say "number please". Or, if someone else on the same party line was already using the line, you hung up and waited a while before trying again. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net

Donald Wilkinson

Post by Donald Wilkinson » Wed May 08, 2002 6:08 am

You had actual live operators on yer party lines???!!!!!!! On our party lines, anywhere from eight to thirty parties, one had to signal one's desired number oneself, with the crank. For example, our number was 13, hence one long crank, and three shorts. Lotta cranks, eh? (this was in Canada). Don TC 7993
>From: Chip Old fold@bcpl.net> >To: MG-TABC mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Age test! NO LBC CONTENT >Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 08:48:19 -0400 (EDT) > >On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, BADGER wrote to MG-TABC: > > > I was cleaning out the attic the other day with my 12 year old son when > > he got all excited because he had found a "new" kind of telephone - it > > had a round dial on it that spins to get the numbers! Badger > >What's it doing in the attic? Three of the five phones in my house are >old dial phones. One of them has been in continuous use since 1954, when >it replaced the dial-less phone we used when we were still on a party >line. You picked up the phone and waited for the operator to say "number >please". Or, if someone else on the same party line was already using the >line, you hung up and waited a while before trying again. > >-- >Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 >Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E >fold@bcpl.net > > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
_________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.

Dean Jensen

Post by Dean Jensen » Wed May 08, 2002 6:17 am

Chip, on my parents phone you had to crank the crank / ring the ringer to let the operator know that wanted to place a call, before she would say "number please", also you could call someone else on your party line by using the crank to ring their correct number of rings. -----Original Message----- From: Chip Old [mailto:fold@bcpl.net] Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 6:48 AM To: MG-TABC Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Age test! NO LBC CONTENT On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, BADGER wrote to MG-TABC:
> I was cleaning out the attic the other day with my 12 year old son
when
> he got all excited because he had found a "new" kind of telephone - it > had a round dial on it that spins to get the numbers! Badger
What's it doing in the attic? Three of the five phones in my house are old dial phones. One of them has been in continuous use since 1954, when it replaced the dial-less phone we used when we were still on a party line. You picked up the phone and waited for the operator to say "number please". Or, if someone else on the same party line was already using the line, you hung up and waited a while before trying again. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/