Book List wanted

RonMGTC@aol.com

Book List wanted

Post by RonMGTC@aol.com » Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:12 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen: If I may be so bold to ask... What is the collective wisdom of this list as to what would constitute a "proper" vintage MG library? I'm not talking shop manuals but narratives, histories, etc. I would be happy to compile a list and post it so others will not suffer the embarrassment of empty space on their book shelf. Thanks Ron

tom metcalf

Re: Book List wanted

Post by tom metcalf » Sun Apr 07, 2002 6:48 am

Hi Ron, I would guess every TC (or thereabouts) owner has quite a library of MG specific books. I figured I had about 30 but your email question got me wondering and I just counted 67 actual MG books, although having just moved I'm not certain I have all the MG books out of the book boxes. This number is probably the norm and I'm sure there are many I don't have. I condensed down my top 10, which I'm certain would be far different for each list member. This list is roughly in order of my preference and overall importance to TCs but my own bend is toward MMM MGs so the list is somewhat influenced that direction, too. So with that in mind, here goes: Maintaining the Breed John Thornley This should be #1 on everybodies list! The Magic of MG Mike Allison Great collection of factory photos with knowledgable text. TCs Forever Mike Sherrill This is a great TC book that is on every TC owners shelf. Mike is good. The Motor Tramp John Heygate A neat story from the early 30's about an adventurous guy who takes delivery of his F Magna at Abingdon MG Sports Cars Malcolm Green Gotta LOVE that PB! Nice photos and accurate text. M-type Through TF Blower This probably falls into your "manual" catagory but is a MUST. Insomnia Crew Henry Stone A first hand story of the good old days when MGs were the terror of the racing world. The Red Car Don Stanford This is what did it for me in high school when Nova's, 442's, and all that crap were the rage. I was Hap. History of the MG Sports Car McComb Another good narrative as in #1. The MG File Eric Dymock A new compilation of photos (nice PB again) and good text. OK. There's my top ten that I couldn't live without. Howzbout all you other guys? What are your favorites? tommm Sunny and warmer in Ashland Ohio. Good TC day. Finally.
----- Original Message ----- From: RonMGTC@aol.com> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2002 11:12 PM Subject: [mg-tabc] Book List wanted > Ladies and Gentlemen: > > If I may be so bold to ask... > What is the collective wisdom of this list as to what would constitute a > "proper" vintage MG library? I'm not talking shop manuals but narratives, > histories, etc. > > I would be happy to compile a list and post it so others will not suffer the > embarrassment of empty space on their book shelf. > Thanks > > Ron > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Jorolibb@aol.com

Post by Jorolibb@aol.com » Sun Apr 07, 2002 8:59 am

Ron, At the top of the list should be "TC's Forever" by Mike Sherrel Original MG T Series by Anders Clausager T Series Handbook by the NEMGTR and quite a bit of it by Chip Old (thanks Chip!) M.G. T Series Restoration Guide by Malcom Green Essential M.G. T Series and Pre War Midgets by A. Clausager Maintaining the Breed by John Thornley The Magic of M.G. by Mike Allison The Magic of the Marque by M. Allison M.G. by McComb This list isn't in any particular order by just some of the 40-50 books (or more) that I have collected over the years about M.G.'s.This list is mainly about the T Series but I also have a few about the earlier cars and quite a few on the MGA which is the only M.G. that I have running while I restore my J2 and TC (it's really tough to try to restore 2 cars at once when funds are limited anyway, but I'm doing it very slowly anyway). If anyone would like a complete list of my collection, please ask and I will put one together as a Microsoft Word attachment. John Libbert J2 3118 TC 2138 MGA 70528 MGB slowly rusting into a parts car Milford OH

Jorolibb@aol.com

Post by Jorolibb@aol.com » Sun Apr 07, 2002 9:02 am

Ron & group, I forgot to mention the 3 books by Barre Lyndon, "Combat", "Circuit Dust" and "Grand Prix" if you are interested in MMM cars John

wargs

Post by wargs » Sun Apr 07, 2002 7:02 pm

John, Ron has just about got it right, IM-not-so-HO! David Lodge Jorolibb@aol.com wrote:
Ron, At the top of the list should be "TC's Forever" by Mike Sherrel Original MG T Series by Anders Clausager T Series Handbook by the NEMGTR and quite a bit of it by Chip Old (thanks Chip!) M.G. T Series Restoration Guide by Malcom Green Essential M.G. T Series and Pre War Midgets by A. Clausager Maintaining the Breed by John Thornley The Magic of M.G. by Mike Allison The Magic of the Marque by M. Allison M.G. by McComb This list isn't in any particular order by just some of the 40-50 books (or more) that I have collected over the years about M.G.'s.This list is mainly about the T Series but I also have a few about the earlier cars and quite a few on the MGA which is the only M.G. that I have running while I restore my J2 and TC (it's really tough to try to restore 2 cars at once when funds are limited anyway, but I'm doing it very slowly anyway). If anyone would like a complete list of my collection, please ask and I will put one together as a Microsoft Word attachment. John Libbert J2 3118 TC 2138 MGA 70528 MGB slowly rusting into a parts car Milford OH Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .

wargs

Post by wargs » Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:39 pm

Oops! Really must stop drinking that cheap wine! What I REALLY meant was................Ron, JOHN has just about got it right! David Lodge. wargs wrote:
John, Ron has just about got it right, IM-not-so-HO! David Lodge Jorolibb@aol.com wrote: Ron, At the top of the list should be "TC's Forever" by Mike Sherrel Original MG T Series by Anders Clausager T Series Handbook by the NEMGTR and quite a bit of it by Chip Old (thanks Chip!) M.G. T Series Restoration Guide by Malcom Green Essential M.G. T Series and Pre War Midgets by A. Clausager Maintaining the Breed by John Thornley The Magic of M.G. by Mike Allison The Magic of the Marque by M. Allison M.G. by McComb This list isn't in any particular order by just some of the 40-50 books (or more) that I have collected over the years about M.G.'s.This list is mainly about the T Series but I also have a few about the earlier cars and quite a few on the MGA which is the only M.G. that I have running while I restore my J2 and TC (it's really tough to try to restore 2 cars at once when funds are limited anyway, but I'm doing it very slowly anyway). If anyone would like a complete list of my collection, please ask and I will put one together as a Microsoft Word attachment. John Libbert J2 3118 TC 2138 MGA 70528 MGB slowly rusting into a parts car Milford OH Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .