original diameter of the open tail pipe

wolfgang.thaller@avl.com

original diameter of the open tail pipe

Post by wolfgang.thaller@avl.com » Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:57 am

Dear T-typers around the globe, Who of you knows the original inner- and outer-diameter of the open tail pipe for MG TC ? My TC has installed a stainless steel exhaust gas system but I think the diameter of the open tail pipe is not as it was with the original systems in the fourties ! I think on my TC the diameter is too small ! The original sound of the engine combined with stainless steel systems with too small diamters is going lost :-( Every information is appreciated - also inch dimensions instead of the metric ones :-) Thank you from very cold Austria (last weekend more than 50cm new snow !) Wolfgang / TC4170

DAI

Re: original diameter of the open tail pipe

Post by DAI » Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:02 am

1-1/4 inch. Same as steering column outer. DAI --- wolfgang.thaller@avl.com wrote: > Dear T-typers around the globe,
> > Who of you knows the original inner- and > outer-diameter of the open tail > pipe for MG TC ? > > My TC has installed a stainless steel exhaust gas > system but I think the > diameter of the open tail pipe is not as it was with > the original systems in > the fourties ! > I think on my TC the diameter is too small ! > The original sound of the engine combined with > stainless steel systems with > too small diamters is going lost :-( > > Every information is appreciated - also inch > dimensions instead of the > metric ones :-) > > > Thank you from very cold Austria (last weekend more > than 50cm new snow !) > Wolfgang / TC4170 > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Skip Kelsey

Post by Skip Kelsey » Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:19 am

Guten tag Wolfgang: The original diameter of the TC tail pipe was 1 1/4 in.This is too small in my estimation.I prefer 1 1/2 in. This should suit most street driven cars. tschus: Skip Kelsey...................................... At 09:54 AM 3/27/02 +0100, wolfgang.thaller@avl.com wrote:
>My TC has installed a stainless steel exhaust gas system but I think the >diameter of the open tail pipe is not as it was with the original systems in >the fourties ! >I think on my TC the diameter is too small ! >The original sound of the engine combined with stainless steel systems with >too small diamters is going lost :-(

kwcp

Post by kwcp » Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:21 am

Skip Kelsey wrote:<>> Skip: Is there a way to adapt the stainless muffler to a 11/2 inch pipe. Thanks, Ken TC 4147

Skip Kelsey

Post by Skip Kelsey » Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:48 am

Ken: I suppose there is, but I have never done it.The TD system had the same small diameter pipe, but the new systems are made with a 1 1/2 in. tail pipe. Skip.............................................. At 01:23 PM 3/27/02 -0500, kwcp wrote:
>Skip Kelsey wrote:>> > >Skip: >Is there a way to adapt the stainless muffler to a 11/2 inch pipe. >Thanks, >Ken TC 4147

joecurto@aol.com

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:50 pm

I made a custom exhaust for a customers TC using a TF muffler and tail pipe, was not hard if you are creative. Joe Curto

Skip Kelsey

Post by Skip Kelsey » Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:47 pm

Joe: I think that is what I had in mind. Skip................................ At 05:49 PM 3/27/02 -0500, JoeCurto@aol.com wrote:
I made a custom exhaust for a customers TC using a TF muffler and tail pipe, was not hard if you are creative. Joe Curto

Mark Andrew

Post by Mark Andrew » Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:13 pm

Hello to All On the exhaust note, pardon the pun, I grew up with a family that had a TC that was raced in the 50s and never "changed over to the street". It had a straight pipe exhaust, and as I recall a diameter of 1 1/2 or so. It was not too loud and as my TC has a crummy exhaust system which is too narrow, hangs too low blah, blah....I intend to have a stainless one made locally soon. If I encounter some friction from the authorities, I can cut it and add a Flow Master, low profile muffler. It wont be "stock, but what I have is and it is not so hot. Vote with the "loud peddle". Mark TC 5146 Skip Kelsey wrote:
Joe: I think that is what I had in mind. Skip................................ At 05:49 PM 3/27/02 -0500, JoeCurto@aol.com wrote: I made a custom exhaust for a customers TC using a TF muffler and tail pipe, was not hard if you are creative. Joe Curto
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

yd3@nvc.net

Post by yd3@nvc.net » Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:21 pm

FWIW: I use a straight through "cherry bomb" muffler of about 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 on my TD. The only time it seems loud is when you go through a tunnel or along echoing walls. Blake

wwcordin

Post by wwcordin » Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:33 am

I just made a straight pipe connection to replace my stainless steel muffler. The sound brings back memories of club racing in the early sixties in a TF. California Kid TC6749
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] mgandrew@adelphia.net [b]To:[/b] kelsey@shadetreemotors.com [b]Cc:[/b] JoeCurto@aol.com ; kwcp@optonline.net ; wolfgang.thaller@avl.com ; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, March 27, 2002 10:14 PM [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] original diameter of the open tail pipe Hello to All On the exhaust note, pardon the pun, I grew up with a family that had a TC that was raced in the 50s and never "changed over to the street". It had a straight pipe exhaust, and as I recall a diameter of 1 1/2 or so. It was not too loud and as my TC has a crummy exhaust system which is too narrow, hangs too low blah, blah....I intend to have a stainless one made locally soon. If I encounter some friction from the authorities, I can cut it and add a Flow Master, low profile muffler. It wont be "stock, but what I have is and it is not so hot. Vote with the "loud peddle". Mark TC 5146 Skip Kelsey wrote: Joe: I think that is what I had in mind. Skip................................ At 05:49 PM 3/27/02 -0500, JoeCurto@aol.com wrote: I made a custom exhaust for a customers TC using a TF muffler and tail pipe, was not hard if you are creative. Joe Curto
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.