MG TD Tech Session - applicable to ALL MG Owners...

Lange, Richard F

MG TD Tech Session - applicable to ALL MG Owners...

Post by Lange, Richard F » Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:48 pm

Did I discuss with you at the last Tech Session (Body Work in Puyallup) about a Tech Session on "Checking out and trying to start an engine in a car that has been in storage for 10 years"? The plan would be to discuss what problems the engine might have, pull the head, check the cylinders, make sure there is no rust or corrosion, clean out and oil the cylinder walls, put the head back on, pump oil through the oil pressure gauge hole so that the mail and piston bearing get lubricated, and hand crank the engine so that it rotates. Make sure the clutch is not frozen, and is in neutral, check the carbs for old gas, and clean them, pump any old gas out, refill with good gas, and then, try to start it... I've got a friend (who is also a member of our club) who has TWO MG TDs that are in this shape, and both have been stored for over ten years, that need to be checked out and started.... So I'm planning on helping him 'free' one up, and then use the other one as a "show you how to do it" project for the club tech session, if that makes sense... Would this be a good tech session.... If so, how about late April or early May? Please let me know if we want to do this... Dick Lange Boeing Commercial Airplane Group DCAC-MRM PROJECT SUPPORT, BUILD TEAM 7-206 3D1-2.1, M/S 6M-HR, Fax (425) 965-6655 Phone : (425 ) 965-6789 Pager: (206) 416-3663 Cell Phone (425)941-0385 Home Phone (425)481-3063