priming oil pump

olson_g

priming oil pump

Post by olson_g » Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:24 pm

What is the best way to prime the oil pump before starting the engine on the TC engine? (after draining the oil, in an engine that has been sitting for years) Any hints would be appreciated. gene, newly aqquired TC3353 sitting since 1984

Davidtasa@aol.com

Re: priming oil pump

Post by Davidtasa@aol.com » Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:20 am

Here's a method I found worked well, if you have the old style oil pump with external oil line connecting to the oil filter. 1) With the sump empty, unscrew the two small bolts on the oil pump which connect the oil line. 2) Insert a small funnel unto the hole and poor in about 1/4 to 1/2 a quart of oil while turning the engine over backwards with a wrench on the crankshaft pulley nut. It helps to have the spark plugs out while doing this and it's easier with two people, one to crank and one to poor so that no air gets into the oil pump. This fills the oil line between the sump and the pump and primes the pump. 3) Fill the sump to the proper oil level (about 5 liters more oil) 4) Turn the engine over forwards until oil begins to ooze out of the hole you just filled. 5) Reconnect the external oil line to the top of the pump and turn the engine over with the starter til the oil pressure comes up - should come right up. This method has worked well for me. David TC3896

et1

priming oil pump

Post by et1 » Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:04 am

Here's my solution:
Drill and tap an 8 MM hole in the top of the banjo bolt on top of the oil filter. Make up a fitting wth an 8 MM thread at one end, and a hose barb at the other. Attach a piece of flexible hose to the barb at one end, and a pump type oil can at the other. Screw the fitting into the hole in the banjo bolt, and pump away. If you have a strong enough thumb, you can even register a few pounds pressure on the guage! When the system is primed, remove the barb fitting from the banjo bolt, and replace it with an 8 MM bolt, with a copper washer to seal it. CUATION! be sure that the bolt is short enough not to block the holes in the shank of the banjo bolt.... or use a new banjo bolt. Remove the spark plugs, and crank the engine til pressure is registered at the guage just to be certain that it is primed.
Mark Evenchick

DAI

Post by DAI » Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:15 pm

All, A small addition to David's advice, would be to also fill the new oil filter with oil from the top banjo bolt, until one observes that the oil oozes out of the side banjo and back into the sump. Hence ensuring the filter is full. Then follow David's pump priming procedure. Reconnect all lines, banjo bolts and set screws (wire tie the pump set screws). If the filter has not been filled, then once the engine is cranked it may take a few extra seconds to flood the filter before oil is served to the engine galleries. I don't think drilling holes anywhere is necessary. Just my opinion though. DAI --- Davidtasa@aol.com wrote: > Here's a method I found worked well, if you have the
> old style oil pump with > external oil line connecting to the oil filter. > > 1) With the sump empty, unscrew the two small bolts > on the oil pump which > connect the oil line. > 2) Insert a small funnel unto the hole and poor in > about 1/4 to 1/2 a quart > of oil while turning the engine over backwards with > a wrench on the > crankshaft pulley nut. It helps to have the spark > plugs out while doing this > and it's easier with two people, one to crank and > one to poor so that no air > gets into the oil pump. This fills the oil line > between the sump and the pump > and primes the pump. > 3) Fill the sump to the proper oil level (about 5 > liters more oil) > 4) Turn the engine over forwards until oil begins to > ooze out of the hole you > just filled. > 5) Reconnect the external oil line to the top of the > pump and turn the engine > over with the starter til the oil pressure comes up > - should come right up. > > This method has worked well for me. > > David TC3896 >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Diecuts@aol.com

Post by Diecuts@aol.com » Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:29 pm

Hi, Does priming the pump come after trying to use the starter to establish oil pressure? I crank the starter for about 10-20 seconds and the oil pressure always pops right up. Cheers, Lee Jacobsen, Dearborn, MI