Fuel indicator lamp

Eric Worpe

Fuel indicator lamp

Post by Eric Worpe » Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:20 am

Just relying on the bulb to limit the fault current through the float's contacts in the petrol tank seems risky and might win you a Darwin award. A healthier approach is gained by a lower voltage bulb with some series resistance in line to operate the bulb correctly. Such a circuit would also serve to limit the surge current through the bulb each time the contacts close, thus prolonging the bulb's life. Another way might be to use a light emitting diode ( LED ) and series resistance which should be even more reliable. Regards, Eric.

Dean Jensen

Re: Fuel indicator lamp

Post by Dean Jensen » Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:30 am

Eric A smaller voltage bulb, (same wattage), and a resistance in series, will create the same amount of current (milli-amps) and will result in the same arc in the petrol tank, which is not hot enough to cause a problem. If you put a capacitor across the contacts (light to ground (earth)) you could cause the arc to last longer, which I still do not think would be a problem. If you are concerned about the surge, a coil in series with the circuit, might help. I have always wondered if that was what they were trying to do with the coil of wire (resistance) however it should have an iron core, which it does not have, and the number of coil is so small, that it would seem, that it would not do any good what so ever. A larger voltage bulb (14V) makes it easier on all, you limit the current at the contact, and makes the bulb last longer. The only down side is a small decrease in brightness. I am not sure that an LED would be bright enough to show thru the lens, during the day time. It would be fine otherwise except for the originality police. Cheers Dean -----Original Message----- From: Eric Worpe [mailto:E.Worpe@surrey.ac.uk] Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 9:21 AM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] Fuel indicator lamp Just relying on the bulb to limit the fault current through the float's contacts in the petrol tank seems risky and might win you a Darwin award. A healthier approach is gained by a lower voltage bulb with some series resistance in line to operate the bulb correctly. Such a circuit would also serve to limit the surge current through the bulb each time the contacts close, thus prolonging the bulb's life. Another way might be to use a light emitting diode ( LED ) and series resistance which should be even more reliable. Regards, Eric. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Eric Worpe

Post by Eric Worpe » Thu Feb 21, 2002 3:41 am

Hi Dean and t-abc listers, A low voltage bulb ( eg.3.5v ) would probably require three times the current of a 12 v bulb, however the arc at the contacts would still not have enough energy to ignite petrol vapour. Putting a capacitor across the contacts ( I'm not sure why one would need to do that) would produce a hefty discharge when the contacts close, which might have enough energy to ignite any vapour. As for limiting the surge, a resistor in series is the easiest approach. The ignition lamp has I think a 2.5v bulb at a current of approx. 200mA, the resistance of the coil is thus around 50 ohms. If a similar arrangement were to be used for the fuel lamp, the surge and any possible fault current would be limited to only about 250mA. One needs to avoid any inductance in the circuit, as the energy stored in a collapsing magnetic field could generate a high arc voltage when the contacts in the float unit open. Regards, Eric.

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:40 am

An alternative method of ascertaining the remaining quantity of fuel contained within one's integral automotive fuel reserve container which is simultaneously potentially more accurate as well as considerably safer in that it eliminates any electrical or electronic devices whatsoever and therefore any potentially lethal or damaging combustion, explosion, or ignition caused by current arcing across contacts located within or within the vicinity of fuel or fuel vapor, if slightly less convenient, is as follows: Acquire a unit of the material which grows abundantly in many areas of the world which are endowed with sufficient quantities of earth, water and minerals to sufficiently support the growth of this naturally occurring plantlife commonly known as a "tree". By turning against a blade, shaving, carving, "whittling", cutting, sanding, or by any other convenient method or otherwise fashion the material in question into a cylindrical shape approximately one quarter of an inch in diameter and approximately three feet, one yard, or one meter in length. By then releasing the mechanism located at the upper end of your vehicle's integral fuel reserve container, who's primary function is for the periodic replenishment of its intended contents, inserting the device previously described until it "bottoms", immediately removing same, and then closely observing the point at which this devise has been "wetted" by intimate contact with the fuel contained within the tank, it can be determined with a relatively high degree of accuracy the precise quantity of remaining fuel contained therein. The vernacular term for this method, I believe is called, "sticking one's tank". I trust none of the above will be too complex or difficult to follow for many of our less technically minded listers but should this not be the case, I will be pleased to answer any specific questions. Thank you, Badger
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Worpe" E.Worpe@surrey.ac.uk> To: "Dean Jensen" djensen@accessus.net> Cc: "mg-tabc" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 6:40 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Fuel indicator lamp > Hi Dean and t-abc listers, > A low voltage bulb ( eg.3.5v ) would probably require > three times the current of a 12 v bulb, however the arc > at the contacts would still not have enough energy to ignite > petrol vapour. Putting a capacitor across the contacts > ( I'm not sure why one would need to do that) would > produce a hefty discharge when the contacts close, which > might have enough energy to ignite any vapour. > As for limiting the surge, a resistor in series is the easiest > approach. The ignition lamp has I think a 2.5v bulb at a > current of approx. 200mA, the resistance of the coil is > thus around 50 ohms. If a similar arrangement were to > be used for the fuel lamp, the surge and any possible fault > current would be limited to only about 250mA. > One needs to avoid any inductance in the circuit, as the > energy stored in a collapsing magnetic field could generate > a high arc voltage when the contacts in the float unit open. > Regards, Eric.

Dave Osborn

Post by Dave Osborn » Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:04 am

Badge The low petrol lamp illuminates all by itself wilst one is merrily driving along. The only thing that the driver is required to do is to look at it. That's why they call them 'idiot' lights. Are you suggesting that we actually have to stop driving to perform this "sticking"? Heaven forbid...........we want to drive!! Guess we shouldn't ask where to place the stick when not in use. Dave Osborn TD 6551 TC 10217 -----Original Message----- From: BADGER [mailto:mrbadger@cox.net] Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 8:38 AM To: MG-TABC Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Fuel indicator lamp An alternative method of ascertaining the remaining quantity of fuel contained within one's integral automotive fuel reserve container which is simultaneously potentially more accurate as well as considerably safer in that it eliminates any electrical or electronic devices whatsoever and therefore any potentially lethal or damaging combustion, explosion, or ignition caused by current arcing across contacts located within or within the vicinity of fuel or fuel vapor, if slightly less convenient, is as follows: Acquire a unit of the material which grows abundantly in many areas of the world which are endowed with sufficient quantities of earth, water and minerals to sufficiently support the growth of this naturally occurring plantlife commonly known as a "tree". By turning against a blade, shaving, carving, "whittling", cutting, sanding, or by any other convenient method or otherwise fashion the material in question into a cylindrical shape approximately one quarter of an inch in diameter and approximately three feet, one yard, or one meter in length. By then releasing the mechanism located at the upper end of your vehicle's integral fuel reserve container, who's primary function is for the periodic replenishment of its intended contents, inserting the device previously described until it "bottoms", immediately removing same, and then closely observing the point at which this devise has been "wetted" by intimate contact with the fuel contained within the tank, it can be determined with a relatively high degree of accuracy the precise quantity of remaining fuel contained therein. The vernacular term for this method, I believe is called, "sticking one's tank". I trust none of the above will be too complex or difficult to follow for many of our less technically minded listers but should this not be the case, I will be pleased to answer any specific questions. Thank you, Badger
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Worpe" E.Worpe@surrey.ac.uk> To: "Dean Jensen" djensen@accessus.net> Cc: "mg-tabc" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 6:40 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Fuel indicator lamp > Hi Dean and t-abc listers, > A low voltage bulb ( eg.3.5v ) would probably require > three times the current of a 12 v bulb, however the arc > at the contacts would still not have enough energy to ignite > petrol vapour. Putting a capacitor across the contacts > ( I'm not sure why one would need to do that) would > produce a hefty discharge when the contacts close, which > might have enough energy to ignite any vapour. > As for limiting the surge, a resistor in series is the easiest > approach. The ignition lamp has I think a 2.5v bulb at a > current of approx. 200mA, the resistance of the coil is > thus around 50 ohms. If a similar arrangement were to > be used for the fuel lamp, the surge and any possible fault > current would be limited to only about 250mA. > One needs to avoid any inductance in the circuit, as the > energy stored in a collapsing magnetic field could generate > a high arc voltage when the contacts in the float unit open. > Regards, Eric. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

C Sherriff

Post by C Sherriff » Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:35 pm

Message text written by "BADGER"
>.........commonly known as a "tree". By turning against a blade,
shaving, carving, "whittling", cutting, sanding, or by any other convenient method or otherwise fashion the material in question into .................... Thank you, Badger Clive

wwcordin

Post by wwcordin » Fri Feb 22, 2002 4:42 am

Badger - Ever since I sealed up my gas tank sending unit with aluminum body stuff, I have found a stout rod left over from some other project to work extremely well. Care must be take however in the removal of the stout rod so as to ensure that no liquid from the tank spills over onto the tank or fender. I have found by cupping my hand underneath the rod as it is withdrawn from the tank works well. By the way, approximately 4" of wetness at the end of the rod equals eighty plus miles on the road. The California Kid, where chrome is king!

tonygoodall

Post by tonygoodall » Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:12 pm

Hi all Here's a variation on the fuel dipper for you. As an archer (fine weather only these days) I have a number of old carbon arrows, these are tubes of about 4mm (3/16') dia. and I cut one down to about 530mm (21") long. The points are stainless steel with a long pin which is inserted into the tube and fixed with hot melt. I ground the pointy bit down and inserted one in each end of the shaft (archery term!) but interposed a short piece of aluminium plate just wider than the hole in the filler cap at one end, so that I wont lose it in the tank. Why so short a stick? well, this hi-tech little number will bottom on the tank and still fit into the tool box, so no fiddling about behind the seat anymore. Original - doubtful, effective - yes. Tony TC9825
> From: "wwcordin" wwcordin@msn.com> > Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 06:42:15 -0600 > To: "BADGER" mrbadger@cox.net> > Cc: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Fuel indicator lamp > > Badger - > > Ever since I sealed up my gas tank sending unit with aluminum body stuff, I > have found a stout rod left over from some other project to work extremely > well. Care must be take however in the removal of the stout rod so as to > ensure that no liquid from the tank spills over onto the tank or fender. I > have found by cupping my hand underneath the rod as it is withdrawn from the > tank works well. By the way, approximately 4" of wetness at the end of the > rod equals eighty plus miles on the road. > > The California Kid, where chrome is king! > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Eric Worpe

Fuel indicator lamp

Post by Eric Worpe » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:21 am

Can anyone let me know the dimensions of the fuel indicator lamp, both the outside dia. of the chromed bezel and the dia. of the lens would be useful together with the dia. of the body. They seem to be rare and so I'm hoping to identify something that could be used as a substitute. Regards, Eric. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

John Seim

Post by John Seim » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:48 am

The Low Fuel Warning Lamp is 1 13/16" long, from the back of the chrome bezel, to the end of the bakelite barrel. Overall length is 2 5/8". Body Diameter is 3/4". Chrome Bezel is 15/16" diameter. John Seim Irvine, CA Eric Worpe wrote:
> Can anyone let me know the dimensions of the fuel indicator >lamp, both the outside dia. of the chromed bezel and the dia. of >the lens would be useful together with the dia. of the body. > They seem to be rare and so I'm hoping to identify something >that could be used as a substitute. > Regards, Eric. > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >