Carb info needed

Jorolibb@aol.com

Carb info needed

Post by Jorolibb@aol.com » Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:45 pm

Dear Listers, I've picked up the pace on the TC restoration. This isn't really hard as I've not actually worked on the car for several years although I've still been collecting parts needed during that time. I'm thick into restoring the carbs right now. Actually I've got early TD carbs (originality police please look the other way) that I'm trying to make appear as TC carbs with regards to linkages etc. I've been able to get all the throttle arms that go on the shafts, the choke linkage arms and air cleaner for a TC. I guess the only parts that might still be TD are the bodies, float bowls and lids. However I would like to see if someone who has an original set up would be willing and/or able to take some photos of their carbs with the air cleaner both on and off so I can get a good look at the shaft and linkage arrangements. I can't find any pictures in any of the books that show a really clear view. Also I'd like to get a dimensional sketch of the bracket which I believe is the choke cable bracket. It's the one that is triangular shaped and is attached to the rear carb. TC's Forever has sketches for the slow running control cable bracket with good dimensions but doesn't give material thickness. Can anyone supply this too? I don't mind making my own brackets unless someone knows for sure if any of the U.S. suppliers are correct in size and shape. I know this is quite a bit to ask of someone who has their car together, but maybe someone has the carbs on the bench at this particular time. Thanks in advance, John Libbert TC 2138

Peter Pleitner

Re: Carb info needed

Post by Peter Pleitner » Sun Feb 17, 2002 5:02 pm

Hi John, I'd be willing to help in the next week or so with photos if no one already has photos handy (my TC is in storage). Your TD carb linkage will have an accordion clamp joining the two throttle shafts. This was a common dealer modification on TC carbs to make life easier on the mechanic trying to synchronize carbs. However, TCs were originally outfitted with cantilever bronze linkage brackets between the two throttle shafts. If this is of interest to you contact me. I too could not find any good photos of this in books. And BTW, my carbs have small heat shields installed, as filed on Walter's web site: www.mg-tabc.org. As for your cable bracket, I believe that 16 gauge sheet metal is the right thickness (at least in the ball park). Cheers, Peter -----Original Message----- From: Jorolibb@aol.com [mailto:Jorolibb@aol.com] Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 6:46 PM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] Carb info needed Dear Listers, I've picked up the pace on the TC restoration. This isn't really hard as I've not actually worked on the car for several years although I've still been collecting parts needed during that time. I'm thick into restoring the carbs right now. Actually I've got early TD carbs (originality police please look the other way) that I'm trying to make appear as TC carbs with regards to linkages etc. I've been able to get all the throttle arms that go on the shafts, the choke linkage arms and air cleaner for a TC. I guess the only parts that might still be TD are the bodies, float bowls and lids. However I would like to see if someone who has an original set up would be willing and/or able to take some photos of their carbs with the air cleaner both on and off so I can get a good look at the shaft and linkage arrangements. I can't find any pictures in any of the books that show a really clear view. Also I'd like to get a dimensional sketch of the bracket which I believe is the choke cable bracket. It's the one that is triangular shaped and is attached to the rear carb. TC's Forever has sketches for the slow running control cable bracket with good dimensions but doesn't give material thickness. Can anyone supply this too? I don't mind making my own brackets unless someone knows for sure if any of the U.S. suppliers are correct in size and shape. I know this is quite a bit to ask of someone who has their car together, but maybe someone has the carbs on the bench at this particular time. Thanks in advance, John Libbert TC 2138 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

joecurto@aol.com

Re: Carb info needed

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Mon Feb 18, 2002 6:30 am

Peter I see lots of T series carbs in my daily business and I am familiar with that wacky bracketing you are describing on this fellows TC for connecting shafts. That bracket appears very randomly, I see more using the zig-zag connector than that setup and I have also seen them on TD units, while I do not have a window to the past I do have a first edition SU work sheet which shows the zig-zag setup, more telling for TC's is the type of return springs, the throttle stop on rear carb (one piece) as well as the style and material of the main body casting. If I had to hazard a guess the brass bracket would have been on very early cars, as the consistency of the carburetor components got better as the war was further in the past, and the factory seemed to get their act together, towards mass production and bringing costs down. Joe

Jorolibb@aol.com

Fwd: Re: [mg-tabc] Carb info needed

Post by Jorolibb@aol.com » Tue Feb 19, 2002 4:30 am

Jack Emdall and fellow listers, I looked at my carb bodies and they are marked with the 3478 number. I believe that these particular carbs were from an early TD as that was what I was told when purchasing them about 10 years ago (slow restoration as you can see) and they had the TD linkages from looking at both the Abingdon Spares and Moss catalogs. I've since bought most of the needed linkage and rebuild kits from Joe Curto (an excellent source of parts, knowledge and assistance),and a few other odds and ends from Abingdon Spares and Moss. The float bowls and lids are the numbers that you mention. It sounds like I'm well on my way to getting these carbs together but just have a few more items to get that I wasn't sure about or forgot to order. I also want to thank everyone from the list who responded with help and photos (and a few more folks with photos still to come). I hope to have these carbs finished by April which I believe is an optimistic goal(see above comment about purchasing these carbs 10 years ago. I've had the car 11 years and the chassis is (still)hanging from the rafters in the garage but that's another story which I may tell (bore?) you about later. Thanks again, John Libbert TC 2138