TC starter bolts

Steve Rankin

TC starter bolts

Post by Steve Rankin » Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:11 pm

Listers
Who can tell me the correct starter mounting bolt size?
Steve Rankin TC 6646

Joe Gates

Re: TC starter bolts

Post by Joe Gates » Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:33 pm

Steve Have a look-see in the Technology file on the website - http://www.mg-tabc.org/techn-up/fasteners.htm. All relevant details appear there! Joe

Peter Pleitner

Post by Peter Pleitner » Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:06 pm

Hi Whitworth Heads, Boy, this subject takes me back a ways, to the days of bending and cutting wrenches. Absolutely insane. Love to interview the guy on the assembly line who had to fasten the top bolt. Has anyone ended up using Allen head bolts for this application? Would like to hear from them. BTW they are metric, coarse, won't guess the size just now. I might even have a set around if ever I need to pull the starter. Cheers, Peter
[quote] -----Original Message----- [b]From:[/b] Joe Gates [mailto:janus@iafrica.com] [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, January 15, 2002 3:35 PM [b]To:[/b] Steve Rankin; Mg-Tabc@Yahoogroups.Com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] TC starter bolts Steve Have a look-see in the Technology file on the website - http://www.mg-tabc.org/techn-up/fasteners.htm. All relevant details appear there! Joe Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
[/quote]

Frank O_ The Mountain

Post by Frank O_ The Mountain » Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:30 pm

In a message dated 1/15/02 17:07:42 Pacific Standard Time, pleitner@dundee.net writes: > I would guess......10mm the size of most larger bolts on the SA and available at your local hardware store.......except without whitworth heads..... Terry

Robert Grunau

Post by Robert Grunau » Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:36 pm

Metric 10 mm x 1.5 mm, use a long extension on your socket. No problem. Allen head metric bolts would also work.

Bob Grunau

Hi Whitworth Heads,

Boy, this subject takes me back a ways, to the days of bending and cutting wrenches. Absolutely insane. Love to interview the guy on the assembly line who had to fasten the top bolt.

Has anyone ended up using Allen head bolts for this application? Would like to hear from them. BTW they are metric, coarse, won't guess the size just now. I might even have a set around if ever I need to pull the starter.

Cheers, Peter

Steve

Have a look-see in the Technology file on the website - http://www.mg-tabc.org/techn-up/fasteners.htm. All relevant details appear there!

Joe

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:12 pm

Re: [mg-tabc] TC starter bolts Peter - they are ISO metric, i.e. 10 x 1.5mm, same as head studs. Modern bolts have a 17mm AF head which is larger than the original with Whitworth head, and NOT easy to tighten up. Allen head bolts are strong, cheap, and very easy to tighten. I also used them in place of head studs (long story, but they have been in there over 30 years now - where DID all that time go???) cheers Roger
[quote] Boy, this subject takes me back a ways, to the days of bending and cutting wrenches. Absolutely insane. Love to interview the guy on the assembly line who had to fasten the top bolt. Has anyone ended up using Allen head bolts for this application? Would like to hear from them. BTW they are metric, coarse, won't guess the size just now. I might even have a set around if ever I need to pull the starter. Cheers, Peter
[/quote]

Peter Pleitner

Post by Peter Pleitner » Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:13 pm

Peter Pleitner

Post by Peter Pleitner » Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:13 pm

Re: [mg-tabc] TC starter boltsHi Roger! Thanks I needed that after replying to Bob Grunau. He always knows best. Guess I wasn't too sharp twenty some odd years ago about checking bolt head markings. I was happy to find the original engine 200 miles displaced from the abandoned TC. Anyway, I'll follow your lead and stick to my plan for putting Allen bolts where I wanted them in the first place. And if I should ever follow the manual's advise on de-carbonizing the engine, I'll hide some under the rocker cover too. If somehow the "correct" starter bolts should become available, I'll label them and put them in my TC drawers with the head bolts just in case the originality police finds out what I've done. Cheers, Peter PS: where DID all that time go???) we're lucky some of it is measured on our T-ABC's odometer! -----Original Message----- From: Roger Furneaux [mailto:roger.46tc@virgin.net] Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 8:14 PM To: Peter Pleitner Cc: .T-ABCs Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] TC starter bolts Peter - they are ISO metric, i.e. 10 x 1.5mm, same as head studs. Modern bolts have a 17mm AF head which is larger than the original with Whitworth head, and NOT easy to tighten up. Allen head bolts are strong, cheap, and very easy to tighten. I also used them in place of head studs (long story, but they have been in there over 30 years now - where DID all that time go???) cheers Roger Boy, this subject takes me back a ways, to the days of bending and cutting wrenches. Absolutely insane. Love to interview the guy on the assembly line who had to fasten the top bolt. Has anyone ended up using Allen head bolts for this application? Would like to hear from them. BTW they are metric, coarse, won't guess the size just now. I might even have a set around if ever I need to pull the starter. Cheers, Peter Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.