Fwd: Headlamp Reflector Coating

David and Joyce Edgar

Fwd: Headlamp Reflector Coating

Post by David and Joyce Edgar » Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:57 pm

I contacted Gene Roth to clarify his Tarnex treatment on the headlamp reflectors and guess I was off base as evidenced by his reply below. At any rate Gene went to the aluminum coating which past threads with our TABC group deemed not as reflective as silver. David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California
>From: Gene Roth RothGene@msn.com> >Hi David, >In response to your question regarding semi-sealed headlamp >reflectors, NO I did not use Tarnex silver cleaner, but that might >work. What I did was more complicated, I removed the existing glass >with a hammer, state of the art eh, then trimmed the swaged portion >from the reflector, save the existing seals or make new ones and >have new glass made to fit into the recess of the reflector, no >bevel on the glass necessary. >Have the reflectors coated with a vacuum deposited, protected >aluminum. Here is the company to contact: >UVIRA. 310 Pleasant Valley Road/ PO Box 610 >Merlin, OR. 97532 ph. 503 474 5050 Contact: Bill Atwood >Seal the glass to the reflector using clear silicone >adhesive/sealer, now you have a tarnish free surface for years. >The above was on the assumption you were referring to 8" flat lens >tri-pods for your TC. >I would contact the company before I strike the first blow, to be >sure they still do this, as I haven't had contact with them for >several years. > > Cheers Gene

capaciousmg@aol.com

Re: Fwd: Headlamp Reflector Coating

Post by capaciousmg@aol.com » Wed Jan 02, 2002 8:18 pm

David The treatment provided by UVIRA is not the same as the list discussed previously, I believe, however, I have not checked. The base is nickle plated and then he applys the optical coating. I dont remember a previous thread about UVIRA, but do recall previous threads discussing options to re-silver. Anyway, my results form UVIRA, is quite good, and better than silver by a good shot in my opinion. I do know that now he does not do the nickle plating anymore, and you must have this done before sending the reflectors to him to be treated . Cheers Joe Potter In a message dated 1/2/2002 2:58:03 PM Pacific Standard Time, djedgar@pacbell.net writes:
I contacted Gene Roth to clarify his Tarnex treatment on the headlamp reflectors and guess I was off base as evidenced by his reply below. At any rate Gene went to the aluminum coating which past threads with our TABC group deemed not as reflective as silver. David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California >From: Gene Roth RothGene@msn.com> >Hi David, >In response to your question regarding semi-sealed headlamp >reflectors, NO I did not use Tarnex silver cleaner, but that might >work. What I did was more complicated, I removed the existing glass >with a hammer, state of the art eh, then trimmed the swaged portion >from the reflector, save the existing seals or make new ones and >have new glass made to fit into the recess of the reflector, no >bevel on the glass necessary. >Have the reflectors coated with a vacuum deposited, protected >aluminum. Here is the company to contact: >UVIRA. 310 Pleasant Valley Road/ PO Box 610 >Merlin, OR. 97532 ph. 503 474 5050 Contact: Bill Atwood >Seal the glass to the reflector using clear silicone >adhesive/sealer, now you have a tarnish free surface for years. >The above was on the assumption you were referring to 8" flat lens >tri-pods for your TC. >I would contact the company before I strike the first blow, to be >sure they still do this, as I haven't had contact with them for >several years. > > Cheers Gene

Frank O_ The Mountain

Post by Frank O_ The Mountain » Wed Jan 02, 2002 9:04 pm

In a message dated 1/2/02 20:18:40 Pacific Standard Time, capaciousmg@aol.com writes: > The last I heard was that Uvira was once again doing the complete job....you can correspond with him at: Uvira@terragon.com Terry

R. Zwart

Post by R. Zwart » Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:51 pm

I had an excellent job done by Steve's Auto Restorations 4440 S.E. 174th Portland, Oregon 92736-1381 Phone: 503) 665-2222 Hope he is still in business. He did silver on reflectors and also Chrome on the bezels. This was several years ago. Try him. This seemed to be a speciality with him. BOB David and Joyce Edgar wrote:
> I contacted Gene Roth to clarify his Tarnex treatment on the headlamp > reflectors and guess I was off base as evidenced by his reply below. > At any rate Gene went to the aluminum coating which past threads with > our TABC group deemed not as reflective as silver. > > David Edgar, TC 5108 > El Cajon, California > > >From: Gene Roth RothGene@msn.com> > >Hi David, > >In response to your question regarding semi-sealed headlamp > >reflectors, NO I did not use Tarnex silver cleaner, but that might > >work. What I did was more complicated, I removed the existing glass > >with a hammer, state of the art eh, then trimmed the swaged portion > >from the reflector, save the existing seals or make new ones and > >have new glass made to fit into the recess of the reflector, no > >bevel on the glass necessary. > >Have the reflectors coated with a vacuum deposited, protected > >aluminum. Here is the company to contact: > >UVIRA. 310 Pleasant Valley Road/ PO Box 610 > >Merlin, OR. 97532 ph. 503 474 5050 Contact: Bill Atwood > >Seal the glass to the reflector using clear silicone > >adhesive/sealer, now you have a tarnish free surface for years. > >The above was on the assumption you were referring to 8" flat lens > >tri-pods for your TC. > >I would contact the company before I strike the first blow, to be > >sure they still do this, as I haven't had contact with them for > >several years. > > > > Cheers Gene > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Jorolibb@aol.com

headlamp reflector coating

Post by Jorolibb@aol.com » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi Folks, The list sure seems quiet recently. I suppose everyone must be in Reno for MG 2011. I'm trying to find contact info the place that does the coating/plating for headlamp reflectors. I believe the name of the company is Uvira something like that. Best regards, John Libbert Milford, OH TC 2138 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jim Buell

Re: headlamp reflector coating

Post by Jim Buell » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi John- The most recent information I have is for UVIRA (Uvira Laser Optics - high reflective aluminum coating), PO Box 610, 310 Pleasant Valley Road, Merlin, Oregon, 97532, (541) 474-5050. I had my reflectors done almost 15 years ago by them and they are as bright today as when first done. Hope they are still in business as they do a good job. Let me know if this is still good information Jim Buell TC9806 Blanchard, ID gmparcr@lambgroupinc.net From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jorolibb@aol.com Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:51 PM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] headlamp reflector coating Hi Folks, The list sure seems quiet recently. I suppose everyone must be in Reno for MG 2011. I'm trying to find contact info the place that does the coating/plating for headlamp reflectors. I believe the name of the company is Uvira something like that. Best regards, John Libbert Milford, OH TC 2138 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] _____ No virus found in this message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 1513/3705 - Release Date: 06/15/11 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jorolibb@aol.com

Post by Jorolibb@aol.com » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks Jim & Bill, It looks like the area code has changed. I did a search and got a 503 area code. John -----Original Message----- From: Jim Buell gmparcr@lambgroupinc.net> To: Jorolibb Jorolibb@aol.com>; mg-tabc mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wed, Jun 15, 2011 7:32 pm Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] headlamp reflector coating Hi John- The most recent information I have is for UVIRA (Uvira Laser Optics high reflective aluminum coating), PO Box 610, 310 Pleasant Valley Road, Merlin, Oregon, 97532, (541) 474-5050. I had my reflectors done almost 15 years ago by them and they are as bright today as when first done. Hope they are still in business as they do a good job. Let me know if this is still good information Jim Buell TC9806 Blanchard, ID gmparcr@lambgroupinc.net From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jorolibb@aol.com Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:51 PM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] headlamp reflector coating Hi Folks, The list sure seems quiet recently. I suppose everyone must be in Reno for MG 2011. I'm trying to find contact info the place that does the coating/plating for headlamp reflectors. I believe the name of the company is Uvira something like that. Best regards, John Libbert Milford, OH TC 2138 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] No virus found in this message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 1513/3705 - Release Date: 06/15/11 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

John

Post by John » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:24 pm

BlankJohn I had mine done by STEVE'S AUTO RESTORATIONS, INC, in Portland, Oregon, 503-665-2222 www.stevesautorestorations.com Nice work! John Patterson, TC 7025, Frankfort, MI [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Rothgene Roth

Post by Rothgene Roth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Me too Gene Roth
----- Original Message ----- From: Jim Buellgmparcr@lambgroupinc.net> To: Jorolibb@aol.comJorolibb@aol.com> ; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.commg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:32 PM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] headlamp reflector coating Hi John- The most recent information I have is for UVIRA (Uvira Laser Optics - high reflective aluminum coating), PO Box 610, 310 Pleasant Valley Road, Merlin, Oregon, 97532, (541) 474-5050. I had my reflectors done almost 15 years ago by them and they are as bright today as when first done. Hope they are still in business as they do a good job. Let me know if this is still good information Jim Buell TC9806 Blanchard, ID gmparcr@lambgroupinc.net From: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jorolibb@aol.com Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:51 PM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] headlamp reflector coating Hi Folks, The list sure seems quiet recently. I suppose everyone must be in Reno for MG 2011. I'm trying to find contact info the place that does the coating/plating for headlamp reflectors. I believe the name of the company is Uvira something like that. Best regards, John Libbert Milford, OH TC 2138 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] _____ No virus found in this message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 1513/3705 - Release Date: 06/15/11 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]