The Sacred Octagon

Gene Gillam

The Sacred Octagon

Post by Gene Gillam » Wed Nov 28, 2001 6:56 am

I was just looking at a back issue of the Sacred Octagon (April 99) and noticed that they were advertising reserved copies of the Sacred Octagon from 1964-1999 on a CD-ROM. Was this CD ever made? Gene Gillam

sculptart@aol.com

Re: The Sacred Octagon

Post by sculptart@aol.com » Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:08 am

If a CD of the back issues of the "Sacred Octagon" has been made, someone please let me know where to obtain one. It is nice the index is available in the spiral book from the Register, but really frustrating when I cannot find an article because I do not have the issue of the magazine. If this CD has not been made, who could be contacted about the feasibility of doing this? My best to all, Ben Cordsen

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:35 am

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Gene Gillam wrote:
> I was just looking at a back issue of the Sacred Octagon (April 99) > and noticed that they were advertising reserved copies of the Sacred > Octagon from 1964-1999 on a CD-ROM. Was this CD ever made?
I think that project was dropped. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Wed Nov 28, 2001 11:29 am

Chip, Carl, Peter, and all the others that replied, What a shame the project was dropped - sure would have made a nice Christmas present for me this year. Gene

KEN PORTER

Post by KEN PORTER » Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:43 pm

Ben: It is my understanding that this project was dropped as there was no way to prevent the CD from being duplicated either in whole or in part. The old copywrite bugaboo again. Ken TC 4147 sculptart@aol.com wrote:
If a CD of the back issues of the "Sacred Octagon" has been made, someone please let me know where to obtain one. It is nice the index is available in the spiral book from the Register, but really frustrating when I cannot find an article because I do not have the issue of the magazine. If this CD has not been made, who could be contacted about the feasibility of doing this? My best to all, Ben Cordsen Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

C Sherriff

Post by C Sherriff » Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:46 am

Message text written by INTERNET:kporter@unix.asb.com
>It is my understanding that this project was dropped as there was no way
to prevent the CD from being duplicated either in whole or in part. The old copywrite bugaboo again.

Ray

Post by Ray » Thu Nov 29, 2001 4:28 am

Hear, hear!! Best, Ray
----- Original Message ----- From: "C Sherriff" 100070.740@compuserve.com> To: kporter@unix.asb.com> Cc: "[unknown]" sculptart@aol.com>; "[unknown]" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 2:45 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] The Sacred Octagon > Message text written by INTERNET:kporter@unix.asb.com > >It is my understanding that this project was dropped as there was no way > to prevent the CD from being duplicated either in whole or in part. The > old copywrite bugaboo again. =================================================== > Sad Sad..... > > The Rest of the world seems to handle this without to much of a > problem they can't live with. > > After all theres little there that the people involved invented > themselves, most of the knowledge we are talking about was > handed on to them from others freely and willingly anyway > with the intention it be widely known to the MG fraternity. > > Does this then translate into a "no way we can maximised financial > return so don't let the information out to anyone" syndrome that > we have seen with copyright issues in the past? > > Such a pity this attitude exists - should I be charging the TABC list for > each piece of (occasionally accurate and hopefully useful) information I > put into it? > > Regards > > Clive > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

KEN PORTER

Post by KEN PORTER » Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:31 am

Clive: One of the things I could not understand was that that National Geographic Magazine would gladly make the entire 100 plus years of the magazine available to anyone who purchased their CD and the NEMGTR will not make there valuable information available to those who really need it. It's just as easy to photocopy a magazing article as it is to copy the data from a CD. I don't understand why they have this hangup with the CD. Sometimes I wonder why I remain a member of the NEMGTR. We, on this list, disseminate more information in one day then the Sacred Octagon does in a years worth of magazines. And ours is free, more timely, probably more accurate and with a little humor thrown in. Ken TC 4147 C Sherriff wrote:
> Message text written by INTERNET:kporter@unix.asb.com > >It is my understanding that this project was dropped as there was no way > to prevent the CD from being duplicated either in whole or in part. The > old copywrite bugaboo again. =================================================== > Sad Sad..... > > The Rest of the world seems to handle this without to much of a > problem they can't live with. > > After all theres little there that the people involved invented > themselves, most of the knowledge we are talking about was > handed on to them from others freely and willingly anyway > with the intention it be widely known to the MG fraternity. > > Does this then translate into a "no way we can maximised financial > return so don't let the information out to anyone" syndrome that > we have seen with copyright issues in the past? > > Such a pity this attitude exists - should I be charging the TABC list for > each piece of (occasionally accurate and hopefully useful) information I > put into it? > > Regards > > Clive > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Geoff Love

Post by Geoff Love » Thu Nov 29, 2001 5:48 am

KEN PORTER wrote:
> Sometimes I wonder why I > remain a member of the NEMGTR. We, on this list, disseminate more information > in one day then the Sacred Octagon does in a years worth of magazines. And > ours is free, more timely, probably more accurate and with a little humor > thrown in. > Ken TC 4147 >
Have you considered joining the Octagon Car Club in the UK? You will receive twelve magazines a year with a wealth of knowledge gladly and freely imparted by enthusiasts for enthusiasts domiciled in a country with very little hang-ups about being sued for liability. Remember, the NEMGTR is just a "register" (whatever that means), the Octagon is a club. Geoff Love.

alan@somex.freeserve.co.uk

Post by alan@somex.freeserve.co.uk » Thu Nov 29, 2001 6:06 am

In addition to the very good Octagon club, dont forget that membership of the MG Car Club gives automatic enrolment in the appropriate register.. in our case the T Register Alan Webster TA 3239
--- In mg-tabc@y..., Geoff Love wrote: > > > KEN PORTER wrote: > > > Sometimes I wonder why I > > remain a member of the NEMGTR. We, on this list, disseminate more information > > in one day then the Sacred Octagon does in a years worth of magazines. And > > ours is free, more timely, probably more accurate and with a little humor > > thrown in. > > Ken TC 4147 > > > > Have you considered joining the Octagon Car Club in the UK? You will receive > twelve magazines a year with a wealth of knowledge gladly and freely imparted by > enthusiasts for enthusiasts domiciled in a country with very little hang-ups > about being sued for liability. Remember, the NEMGTR is just a "register" > (whatever that means), the Octagon is a club. > > Geoff Love.