Shorrock Superchargers

Donald M. Lawson

Shorrock Superchargers

Post by Donald M. Lawson » Tue Nov 13, 2001 2:40 pm

Can anybody send me pictures of a Shorrock fitted to a TC? It looks like a tight fit up front and I want to know of any modifications I need to do before I proceed.Is there A Shorrock website or any info on line about installations on T-Series cars? I read Jon Pecks info at our site and the info in the Blower manual.

Geoff Love

Re: Shorrock Superchargers

Post by Geoff Love » Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:30 pm

Don: I don't have any pictures which I can send you, but I can tell you I have fitted a Shorrock pressure charger to a TC. The installation is perfectly straightforward, and there is sufficient room. Just one caveat, however. I recommend the use of the thinner drive belts and pulleys rather than the original type. You may have to lift the front of the motor in order to fit the crankshaft pulley and belts. Geoff Love "Donald M. Lawson" wrote:
> Can anybody send me pictures of a Shorrock fitted to a TC? It looks like a > tight fit up front and I want to know of any modifications I need to do > before I proceed.Is there A Shorrock website or any info on line about > installations on T-Series cars? I read Jon Pecks info at our site and the > info in the Blower manual. > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Dean Jensen

Post by Dean Jensen » Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:16 pm

Don I have had a blower on my car since about l982, a Shorrock since About l984, nothing to it, no modifications to make except, The right radiator brace needs to be removed, and where the right brace fastens to the radiator, a little piece of the radiator needs to be cut away. It will result in a three corner piece removed. You will have to raise the engine to get the crank pulley on. That is it, now that I have said that, if the belts are going to hit the fan blade, what you need to do is get a fan blade spacer, used on a TD, and take it to a machine shop, and get them to cut it in half, or there about. They need to put the groove back in the part you have left. I have a picture, but I have no way at the present to transfer it on the internet. If someone else does not come up with one, I will see what I can do. The reason for removing the three corner piece is for clearance of the belts/pulley Cheers Dean Illinois -----Original Message----- From: Donald M. Lawson [mailto:lawson@uplink.net] Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 4:38 PM To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com Subject: [mg-tabc] Shorrock Superchargers Can anybody send me pictures of a Shorrock fitted to a TC? It looks like a tight fit up front and I want to know of any modifications I need to do before I proceed.Is there A Shorrock website or any info on line about installations on T-Series cars? I read Jon Pecks info at our site and the info in the Blower manual. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

C Sherriff

Shorrock Superchargers

Post by C Sherriff » Wed Nov 14, 2001 12:28 am

Message text written by "Donald M. Lawson"
>Can anybody send me pictures of a Shorrock fitted to a TC?
Hi Donald See Blowers Workshop Manual P456 shows one on a TD - theres no practical difference in the TC fit. Clive

Skip Kelsey

Post by Skip Kelsey » Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:43 am

Clive: If anyone has a copy of John Lawson's book on the Y type, you will find a picture of my 48 Y saloon with Shorrock fitted. Skip Kelsey........................................... At 03:27 AM 11/14/01 -0500, C Sherriff wrote:
>Message text written by "Donald M. Lawson" > >Can anybody send me pictures of a Shorrock fitted to a TC? > >Hi Donald > >See Blowers Workshop Manual P456 shows one on a TD - theres no >practical difference in the TC fit. > >Clive > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Paul Camp

Post by Paul Camp » Thu Nov 15, 2001 5:01 am

Donald I have a Shorrock supercharger fitted to my TC and am very happy with the performance.The problem is up front as you rightly assume. The twin drive belt pulley, and belts, means the fan has to be moved forward this is achieved by using a TD spacer between the water pump pulley and the fan, and TD Fan Bolts. Because the fan is then some 30mm forward this makes the fan too close to the Rad support!. On my car the clearance at this point has been increased by extending the radiator side brackets (they have good adjustment at either end) but it is still tight fit.The downside of doing this makes the panel fit of the bonnet not too good with some 3/8 inch overall distance between bonnet top and scuttle and Rad. I am toying with fitting an electric fan as it is then possible to reduce this gap.This was all fitted by a previous owner.but I have been able to fit a 3.9 rear axle which gives very relaxed motorway cruising.I regularly achieve 25mpg around town and 35mpg on a longer run Trust this is of some use Paul TC 3348----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald M. Lawson" lawson@uplink.net> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 10:38 PM Subject: [mg-tabc] Shorrock Superchargers
> Can anybody send me pictures of a Shorrock fitted to a TC? It looks like a > tight fit up front and I want to know of any modifications I need to do > before I proceed.Is there A Shorrock website or any info on line about > installations on T-Series cars? I read Jon Pecks info at our site and the > info in the Blower manual. > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Paul Camp

Post by Paul Camp » Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:46 am

Thanks Dean A simple solution that I didnt see!! Paul TC 3348
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dean Jensen" djensen@accessus.net> To: PCamp@pearsons-enfield.co.uk> Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 2:07 PM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Shorrock Superchargers > Paul > What you need to do to get the spacing correct, is to cut > the TD extension about in half, have a machine shop do it, unless you > have a lath, you now have enough clearance in back and the fan blades > are not in the radiator. This was the standard set up, you are just > missing > the half size extension. > > Cheers Dean > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Paul Camp [mailto:PCamp@pearsons-enfield.co.uk] > Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 6:19 AM > To: > sentto-1417284-7526-1005691235-PCamp=pearsons-enfield.co.uk@returns.grou > ps.yahoo.com > Cc: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Shorrock Superchargers > > Donald > I have a Shorrock supercharger fitted to my TC and am very happy with > the > performance.The problem is up front as you rightly assume. > The twin drive belt pulley, and belts, means the fan has to be moved > forward > this is achieved by using a TD spacer between the water pump pulley and > the > fan, and TD Fan Bolts. Because the fan is then some 30mm forward this > makes > the fan too close to the Rad support!. On my car the clearance at this > point > has been increased by extending the radiator side brackets (they have > good > adjustment at either end) but it is still tight fit.The downside of > doing > this makes the panel fit of the bonnet not too good with some 3/8 inch > overall distance between bonnet top and scuttle and Rad. I am toying > with > fitting an electric fan as it is then possible to reduce this gap.This > was > all fitted by a previous owner.but I have been able to fit a 3.9 rear > axle > which gives very relaxed motorway cruising.I regularly achieve 25mpg > around > town and 35mpg on a longer run > Trust this is of some use > Paul TC 3348----- Original Message ----- > From: "Donald M. Lawson" lawson@uplink.net> > To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 10:38 PM > Subject: [mg-tabc] Shorrock Superchargers > > > > Can anybody send me pictures of a Shorrock fitted to a TC? It looks > like a > > tight fit up front and I want to know of any modifications I need to > do > > before I proceed.Is there A Shorrock website or any info on line about > > installations on T-Series cars? I read Jon Pecks info at our site and > the > > info in the Blower manual. > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Paul Camp

Post by Paul Camp » Sat Nov 17, 2001 1:46 am

Don I was dubious about the Shorrock on my TC when it was purchased in 1999, as I had No experience at all of superchargers, and even considered returning the car to carbs!However I have now done some 4500 miles trouble free, and enjoy the performance, can easily keep up with modern traffic (up to 70 mph) and the car is very docile, the maximum boost I use is 5 psi. The extra power together with the high rear axle ratio gives me good high speed cruising with low revs. As the Shorrock relies on the engine oil feed I change the oil every 1500 miles. The previous owner and restorer did the 1991 Monte Carlo challenge some 3000 miles in a week! and tells me the car was reliable and completed the rally.The engine has now done some 10000 miles since restoration and the fitting of the Blower.and has good oil pressure uses negligible oil (what is used I suspect leaks out the bottom)and returns 30-35 mpg on a run. The compression test gives 125-127 across all cylinders! I have also fitted Bob Gruneaus Oil Filter adapter which makes oil filter changes a doddle and I suspect more effective. Just my experience for what its worth ( I am no expert I just enjoy tinkering and driving em!) Cheers Paul TC 3348
----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald M. Lawson" lawson@uplink.net> To: PCamp@pearsons-enfield.co.uk> Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 10:29 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Shorrock Superchargers > At 12:19 PM 11/15/01 +0000, you wrote: > >PCamp@pearsons-enfield.co.uk > >X-Apparently-To: mg-tabc@egroups.com > >To > Thanks for the help, Paul! I have mixed feelings about doing this as I > really like the look of the carbs and air cleaner on my TC. Unfortunately, > the quest for more power and the hardly used Shorrock sitting in it's box > is rather tempting! > Don > TC8045 > NEMGT#5687 > >

joecurto@aol.com

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Sat Nov 17, 2001 7:49 am

Don you DUMMY, get the Shorrock out of the Box and on the car, otherwise you only own an expensive door stop. Joey