colors, I see colours........

Ray

colors, I see colours........

Post by Ray » Sat Nov 10, 2001 3:33 pm

Hi again,
Does anyone have a Ditzler number for MG Green like a TD would have used??
Jeez, you help a guy get his car running and now he wants to tear it apart and paint the darn thing.....that and rechrome everything.....
Whitworth Shop, here comes his center instrument section.
Best Regards, Ray

Mark McCombs

Re: colors, I see colours........

Post by Mark McCombs » Sat Nov 10, 2001 4:06 pm

Yeah, Ray, there a term for guys like us somewhere... The Ditzler I have for TD MG / Almond green is: 44159 The Woodland green is: 2246 I dont know the difference to advise, as my TC8126 (rear tub wood complete as of today) was painted Pontiac seafoam green in October 1966... Soon to be black. Regards Mark
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] spook01@home.com [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Saturday, November 10, 2001 6:33 PM [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] colors, I see colours........ Hi again, Does anyone have a Ditzler number for MG Green like a TD would have used?? Jeez, you help a guy get his car running and now he wants to tear it apart and paint the darn thing.....that and rechrome everything..... Whitworth Shop, here comes his center instrument section. Best Regards, Ray Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Diecuts@aol.com

Post by Diecuts@aol.com » Sun Nov 11, 2001 2:20 pm

Hi Ray, A medium rich light BRG green (my favorite) which is correct for a TD is Paint Code GN-25. This color has been around since the '30s and is wonderful on a TC or TD. Do not confuse this with Paint code BLVC-25, which is a very dark BRG. PPG will try and give you this instead of the correct GN-25. A medium BRG is GN-29. Almond green is GN-37. Sherwood green is GN-24 and looks slate grey. I told my paint man 'no way' and he was right. GN-18 is Connaught green, a very dark BRG which was used trom '50 to '61 and is correct for the early Jags. GN-13 is Spruce green and looks close to what is on my '55 TF . Sherwin-Williams Automotive Paint carries all of these in modern mixes. Other Paint mfgrs can cross reference the GN Paint codes . (Note: These are from an Austin-MG paint code book for '67-71) My system is to buy a pint of each, (around $4 per) in lacquer or enamel, dip a metal strip in each, and then you know whether their computer is on track or not. Cheers, Lee Jacobsen, Dearborn, MI.TA2969

Crowsail@aol.com

Post by Crowsail@aol.com » Sun Nov 11, 2001 6:36 pm

Lee: The information you furnished Ray regarding the paint codes for the green colors was very thorough. Would you have the PPG numbers for an Ivory 1948 TC (#5135)? I have seen some which really look more yellow, but mine ( which had been painted over in black) has very little yellow in it. Thanks Pat Crowe

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Mon Nov 12, 2001 4:19 pm

Pat - some old info I have gives Cream or Ivory as Rinshed Mason BM 126 or 127, Ditzler 80203 or 81271, and old BMC codes of YL6 for "County Cream" or YL5 for "Sequoia Cream" Cream TCs did indeed have quite a yellowy tint, and certainly should not be as mine was when I bought it in 1966 - recently resprayed in Old English White!!! Mike Card has done a lot of work on colours, so you should hear from him soon as well. ocTagonally Roger Furneaux TC0978 (now Midnight Blue, a classic Jag colour!)
>The information you furnished Ray regarding the paint codes for the green >colors was very thorough. >Would you have the PPG numbers for an Ivory 1948 TC (#5135)? I have seen some >which really look more yellow, but mine ( which had been painted over in >black) has very little yellow in it. >Thanks