TC Master Cylinder

Jim Buell

TC Master Cylinder

Post by Jim Buell » Sat Sep 15, 2001 1:57 pm

I am assembling my TC Master cylinder. The kit contains a thin spring washer. What is the proper location for this part. The Moss catalogue, while showing the part, does not adequately locate it. None of the other manuals I have (including Blowers) does not even mention this part.
Thanks for your help.
Jim Buell
PS: to all of you - especially outside of the US - who have sent thoughts and prayers concerning our recent tragedy THANK YOU. You never really know how many caring people there are in a group like ours until something like this happens.

dick maxey

Re: TC Master Cylinder

Post by dick maxey » Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:10 pm

Jim...the thin spring washer is designed to keep the plunger from sticking to the rubber stopper. The Moss illustration for the TD-TF master cylinder shows the correct location. Best wishes, Dick At 01:07 PM 09/15/2001 -0700, Jim Buell wrote:
I am assembling my TC Master cylinder. The kit contains a thin spring washer. What is the proper location for this part. The Moss catalogue, while showing the part, does not adequately locate it. None of the other manuals I have (including Blowers) does not even mention this part. Thanks for your help. Jim Buell PS: to all of you - especially outside of the US - who have sent thoughts and prayers concerning our recent tragedy THANK YOU. You never really know how many caring people there are in a group like ours until something like this happens. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Dave & Diana Dwyer

Re: TC Master Cylinder

Post by Dave & Diana Dwyer » Mon Sep 17, 2001 3:58 am

Jim I don't have the bits in front of me but I think the waher you mention fits between the piston and the main cup, over the ring of small holes in the piston face. Place it #convex# side to the piston, that is: washer - )IIIII - piston. The guts of the TC master cylinder are the same as those in the Morris Minor 1000, whose Workshop Manual may be better illustrated. Regards Dave Dwyer J2, TA, TC
[b]-----Original Message-----[/b] [b]From: [/b]Jim Buell gmparcr@redshift.com> [b]To: [/b]mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> [b]Date: [/b]Sunday, 16 September 2001 6:53 [b]Subject: [/b][mg-tabc] TC Master Cylinder I am assembling my TC Master cylinder. The kit contains a thin spring washer. What is the proper location for this part. The Moss catalogue, while showing the part, does not adequately locate it. None of the other manuals I have (including Blowers) does not even mention this part. Thanks for your help. Jim Buell PS: to all of you - especially outside of the US - who have sent thoughts and prayers concerning our recent tragedy THANK YOU. You never really know how many caring people there are in a group like ours until something like this happens. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Jay Lockrow

TC Master cylinder

Post by Jay Lockrow » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:28 pm

Does anyone know what size the big nut is that holds the master cylinder to the frame. If I recall it needs a deep socket of about 3-4 inches but can't recall the size.(I think it is over an inch) Is there an american socket available that would work so i don't have to fly to England to get one? Certain friend (who shall remain nameless) is trying to get his MC off after only 55 years (I couldn't believe it either) and is having a &^%*&$#@$%%#^& of a problem. Any help, ideas, suggestions, cussing, prayers, appreciated!!!! Thanx in advance. Jay

Gene Gillam

Re: TC Master cylinder

Post by Gene Gillam » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:41 pm

Jay asked:
>Does anyone know what size the big nut is that holds the master
cylinder to the frame.http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.512 / Virus Database: 309 - Release Date: 8/19/2003

FIGSMG@cs.com

Post by FIGSMG@cs.com » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:51 pm

A friend to all MGers, Phil Marino, makes a long TC master cylinder nut that you can use an open end wrench to move it. He has no E Mail address, but you can get him at 909 / 352 - 4419. Ask him for his list of T Series parts and services. Cheers Fig

Peter Cole

Post by Peter Cole » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:34 am

Hi there, Beware when messing with the master cylinder nut. The original nut was an imperial, (I would have guessed 3/4, not 5/8, but I could be wrong) but if the plan is to replace the master cylinder with one of the new cast bronze ones you will find they have metric nuts. Furthermore they are 20mm diameter, and don't fit the slot in the chassis. You have to either file the slot in the chassis, or file flats on the master cylinder thread. (Why do people go to all the bother of making these things and screw up on something simple like this?) If the plan is to use a bronze replacement cylinder, the best bet is undo the original nut with a hammer and chisel, and then use a Phil Marino nut on the new cylinder. This nut has the additional advantage that it can be undone using an open ended spanner, to allow adjustment of the master cylinder position, without braking into the hydraulics. Before buying one however, check what thread you need to fit your replacement cylinder. Peter Cole.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Gillam" anngene@bellsouth.net> To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 1:41 AM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] TC Master cylinder > Jay asked: > >Does anyone know what size the big nut is that holds the master > cylinder to the frame. > > Jay, > > It's a 5/8 Whitworth. I just went out to the garage and tried the deep > sockets that I have on a junk master cylinder that I have. A 1-1/8" > socket will fit and should be able to turn it IF the socket is deep > enough. The one I have isn't (but it's a 1/2" drive and heavier at the > end the socket wrench fits into so maybe a 3/8" will fit deeper). > > Good luck - but if you EVER get it loose invest in a Phil Marino > replacement nut and never worry about it again. > > Gene Gillam > Saucier, MS > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.512 / Virus Database: 309 - Release Date: 8/19/2003 > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Bob McKarney

Post by Bob McKarney » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:56 am

Jay - All the advice about replacing the Master is good, and your friend should do that. Rather than fly to England to get a wrench to remove the present one, however, go to a hardware store and get a set of plumbers sockets..the thin walled kind that are different sizes on either end. One of those is a 1-1/8" and you can put a rod through the hole in the other end to give you some leverage in removing the nut. Bob McKarney Cambria, CA
On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 05:23 PM, Jay Lockrow wrote: > Does anyone know what size the big nut is that holds the master > cylinder > to the frame....

Joe Gates

Post by Joe Gates » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:50 pm

I bought a 28mm ring spanner, cut out sufficient of the ring (about 10mm) to create a pipe spanner that fits over the neck extention of the MC in situ, bent the shaft about 10cm down from the ring to a 90 degree angle (so I could use it with the car at ground level), and it works perfectly. I attach a ViseGrip for added leverage if/when required to loosen/tighten. Joe Gates TC 8675 Johannesburg, S Africa Jay wrote
> Does anyone know what size the big nut is that holds the master cylinder > to > the frame. If I recall it needs a deep socket of about 3-4 inches but > can't > recall the size.(I think it is over an inch) Is there an american socket > > available that would work so i don't have to fly to England to get one? > Certain friend (who shall remain nameless) is trying to get his MC off > after > only 55 years (I couldn't believe it either) and is having a > &^%*&$#@$%%#^& of a problem. Any help, ideas, > suggestions, cussing, prayers, appreciated!!!! Thanx in advance. Jay > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

John Seim

Post by John Seim » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:11 pm

The socket I use is 1 1/8". Truecraft made it. Is 2 3/4" deep socket. Most other manufacturer's are 2 1/2" deep. Phil's extra long nut won't help in getting the old one off, so might as well locate the tool that works to solve the initial problem. John Seim Irvine, CA Jay Lockrow wrote:
>Does anyone know what size the big nut is that holds the master cylinder >to >the frame. If I recall it needs a deep socket of about 3-4 inches but >can't >recall the size.(I think it is over an inch) Is there an american socket > >available that would work so i don't have to fly to England to get one? >Certain friend (who shall remain nameless) is trying to get his MC off >after >only 55 years (I couldn't believe it either) and is having a >&^%*&$#@$%%#^& of a problem. Any help, ideas, >suggestions, cussing, prayers, appreciated!!!! Thanx in advance. Jay > > > > > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > >