choke,starter,and slow running cables

Brian Donahue

choke,starter,and slow running cables

Post by Brian Donahue » Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:53 pm

hello out there to all tc owners , i'm looking for some photos of the cable set up on a tc i have a 1948 #5051 . the proper way they are installed with the right clips cable stops , etc.. have had no luck with a decent photo or manual explanation on the way they should be attached , as far as clamps and so forth . if i had a picture , top view and front of the carbs where they all connect it would be helpful. thanks brian. member 343

DAI

Re: choke,starter,and slow running cables

Post by DAI » Tue Aug 28, 2001 12:11 am

Brian, I have just completed the same on TC6132. There are precious few photos of the cable clamps (I didn't find any). The starter and choke cables are clamped by a single clamp that is located on the end of the vertical triangular bracket that attaches to the rear carb intake. The slow running also has a p-clip, that attaches to the rear most retaining bolt on the rear air intake of the rear carb. The slow running cable then sweeps up and over the air filter and vertically down to the slow running control lever. There is a small bracket with a horizontal tab that is retained on the rear bolt of the front carb air intake. This tab has a small hole, small enough to prevent the cable outer to pass, but large enough to permit the cable wire to move through unimpeded. The cable then passes down to the end of the slow running lever and attached using a cable stop. There is also a slow running spring, with one end attached to the small bracket with a tab, and the other end to the cable stop. For the choke/starter clamp, I used two p-clips and modified them so that the cables are clamped in parallel close together and horizontally positioned (next to each other rather than on top of each other). This clamp is retained onto the inside end of the triangular bracket by a short 2BA screw. Both cable outers should stop at this bracket, although my starter outer advances further forward. The whole arrangement seems to work well in action. I don't have a digital camera, so can't oblige with a nice photo. Hope this helps. DAI --- Brian Donahue BrianDonahue@msn.com> wrote: > hello out there to all tc owners , i'm looking for
> some photos of the cable set up on a tc i have a > 1948 #5051 . the proper way they are installed with > the right clips cable stops , etc.. have had no luck > with a decent photo or manual explanation > on the way they should be attached , as far as > clamps and so forth . if i had a picture , top view > and front of the carbs where they all connect it > would be helpful. thanks brian. member 343 >
____________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.co.uk address at http://mail.yahoo.co.uk or your free @yahoo.ie address at http://mail.yahoo.ie

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Tue Aug 28, 2001 3:49 pm

Re: [mg-tabc] choke,starter,and slow running cables Brian - you need to obtain a copy of TSO for Feb. 1997, which carried a long article (pp. 17-22) bt Bob Watts on this very subject. It is such a good description that it should be in the tabc website tech. section (with permission of course!) oc[b]T[/b]agonally TCRoger
[quote] hello out there to all tc owners , i'm looking for some photos of the cable set up on a tc i have a 1948 #5051 . the proper way they are installed with the right clips cable stops , etc.. have had no luck with a decent photo or manual explanation on the way they should be attached , as far as clamps and so forth . if i had a picture , top view and front of the carbs where they all connect it would be helpful. thanks brian. member 343
[/quote]

m.jablonski@mei.unimelb.edu.au

Post by m.jablonski@mei.unimelb.edu.au » Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:26 am

Brian Have a look at Mike Sherrell's book TC's Forever, page 247. There's also a photo somewhere in the vicinity of that page as well as a drawing of the fitting and spring at the carburettor end of the slow- running control. Unfortunately the photo seems to contradict the text as to the order in which the cables exit the triangular box on the firewall. I'd install them so that they exit the box in line with where they have to go, particularly the choke and starter. A fairly original, low mileage TC that I've photographed has the cables coming out of the box in the order that they are on the dash. This TC had the choke and starter cables terminating in clips on either side of the triangular plate under the carbies. Mark Jablonski
--- In mg-tabc@y..., "Brian Donahue" wrote: > hello out there to all tc owners , i'm looking for some photos of the cable set up on a tc i have a 1948 #5051 . the proper way they are installed with the right clips cable stops , etc.. have had no luck with a decent photo or manual explanation > on the way they should be attached , as far as clamps and so forth . if i had a picture , top view and front of the carbs where they all connect it would be helpful. thanks brian. member 343

David Lodge

Post by David Lodge » Sat Sep 01, 2001 3:55 pm

Roger, How does one get back issues of TSO? They appear to be a veritable ecyclopaedia. David Lodge Roger Furneaux wrote:
Brian - you need to obtain a copy of TSO for Feb. 1997, which carried a long article (pp. 17-22) bt Bob Watts on this very subject. It is such a good description that it should be in the tabc website tech. section (with permission of course!)

oc[b]T[/b]agonally

TCRoger [quote] hello out there to all tc owners , i'm looking for some photos of the cable set up on a tc i have a 1948 #5051 . the proper way they are installed with the right clips cable stops , etc.. have had no luck with a decent photo or manual explanation on the way they should be attached , as far as clamps and so forth . if i had a picture , top view and front of the carbs where they all connect it would be helpful. thanks brian. member 343

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.[/quote]

xpag@chartermi.net

Post by xpag@chartermi.net » Sun Sep 02, 2001 6:23 am

David, There are two members of our club, the Minnesota MG T Register, who have almost complete collections of TSO for sale. Contact me off list for their names if you are interested. Steve Guttormsson '47 TC '52 TD
--- In mg-tabc@y..., David Lodge wrote: > Roger, > How does one get back issues of TSO? They appear to be a veritable > ecyclopaedia. > David Lodge > > Roger Furneaux wrote: > > > Brian - you need to obtain a copy of TSO for Feb. 1997, which carried > > a long article (pp. 17-22) bt Bob Watts on this very subject. It is > > such a good description that it should be in the tabc website tech. > > section (with permission of course!) > > > > ocTagonally > > > > TCRoger > > > > > > hello out there to all tc owners , i'm looking for some > > photos of the cable set up on a tc i have a 1948 #5051 . the > > proper way they are installed with the right clips cable > > stops , etc.. have had no luck with a decent photo or manual > > explanation > > on the way they should be attached , as far as clamps and so > > forth . if i had a picture , top view and front of the carbs > > where they all connect it would be helpful. thanks brian. > > member 343 > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.