Inside Mirror

CVMGA@aol.com

Inside Mirror

Post by CVMGA@aol.com » Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:04 am

Greetings, A question was posed to me regarding the inside rear-view mirror. Was one originally fitted to an EXU model and if so, what type? Who, in the states, sells the most authentic version? Also, when(approximately) did the twin rear window design on the canvas top change to one large window? I guess this information is in "the bible", but I don't have it here at work. Thanks, Bruce

KEN PORTER

Re: Inside Mirror

Post by KEN PORTER » Fri Aug 24, 2001 3:57 pm

Bruce: I got a good look at an EXU just this past weekend. The inside mirror was stamped DESMO on the back side. I can't guarantee that this mirror was original but it is certainly from the same time period. This same mirror without the Desmo marking is available from Abingdon Spares. I believe it is listed in their catalog as a TD inside mirror. Ken TC 4147 cvmga@aol.com wrote:
Greetings,

A question was posed to me regarding the inside rear-view mirror. Was one originally fitted to an EXU model and if so, what type? Who, in the states, sells the most authentic version?

Also, when(approximately) did the twin rear window design on the canvas top change to one large window?

I guess this information is in "the bible", but I don't have it here at work.

Thanks, Bruce Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

C Sherriff

Post by C Sherriff » Sat Aug 25, 2001 12:45 am

Message text written by INTERNET:kporter@unix.asb.com
>I got a good look at an EXU just this past weekend. The inside mirror
was stamped DESMO on the back side. I can't guarantee that this mirror was original but it is certainly from the same time period. This same mirror without the Desmo marking is available from Abingdon Spares. I believe it is listed in their catalog as a TD inside mirror. Ken TC 4147

Skip Kelsey

Post by Skip Kelsey » Sat Aug 25, 2001 7:52 am

Clive: All TDs came with a "Desmo" mirror at time of delivery. The EXU TC used several TD parts also, including the mirror.. Skip........................................................ At 03:45 AM 8/25/01 -0400, C Sherriff wrote:
>Message text written by INTERNET:kporter@unix.asb.com > >I got a good look at an EXU just this past weekend. The inside mirror >was stamped DESMO on the back side. I can't guarantee that this mirror >was original but it is certainly from the same time period. This same >mirror without the Desmo marking is available from Abingdon Spares. I >believe it is listed in their catalog as a TD inside mirror. >Ken TC 4147================================================== >Hi Ken > >Desmo were popular UK aftersales accessory makers in the UK >in the late 50s - 70s on > > If the EXU cars did have a mirror - or any extra lights ordered >- it would have been from Lucas. > >Regards > >Clive > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Locktc7440@aol.com

Post by Locktc7440@aol.com » Sat Aug 25, 2001 10:07 am

My EXU inside mirror is stamped "Dyard" It has been on the car for 36 years of m7y ownership and will stay there!!!

John T. Seim

Post by John T. Seim » Sat Aug 25, 2001 10:38 am

I just replaced a DESMO mirror on a customer's car, TC 6613, with one that is a period replacement, sold by Moss. The reason for the replacement was that the nut on the back of the mirror would hit the windshield, when driving. I don't know if DESMO was used on the EXU TC's. If they were, I would guess that a different length nut was used on the DESMO's, than is being used today. The DESMO had been installed on the car 10-15 years ago. There isn't as much area between the cowl and windshield, as the TD or TF offers. Or, previous installation drilled hole not far enough away from windshield. John Seim

CVMGA@aol.com

Post by CVMGA@aol.com » Sat Aug 25, 2001 1:22 pm

Greetings, Lucas, Desmo, Dyard. . . . .There's never just one simple answer when it comes to these simple cars, is there? Thank you all for responding. At this time, I shall suggest a TD mirror. At least with that, only about half of you will say he's got the wrong mirror! Thanks again, Bruce Woodson

Charles Hill

Post by Charles Hill » Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:51 pm

C Sherriff wrote:
> > Message text written by INTERNET:kporter@unix.asb.com > >I got a good look at an EXU just this past weekend. The inside mirror > was stamped DESMO on the back side. I can't guarantee that this mirror > was original but it is certainly from the same time period. This same > mirror without the Desmo marking is available from Abingdon Spares. I > believe it is listed in their catalog as a TD inside mirror. > Ken TC 4147 ================================================== > Hi Ken > > Desmo were popular UK aftersales accessory makers in the UK > in the late 50s - 70s on > > If the EXU cars did have a mirror - or any extra lights ordered > - it would have been from Lucas. > > Regards > > Clive > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Clive, Just went down and checked my EXU. The mirror is marked DESMO. Do you question whether or not the EXUs were fitted with mirrors? I checked my TC service parts list and it does list the mirror for the EXU. Doesn't list a part nr for the whole assembly. Most of the Lucas parts listed also have the Lucas number listed parenthetically. The mirror doesn't have such a number. Regards, Charles Hill

tonygoodall

Post by tonygoodall » Sun Aug 26, 2001 2:34 am

Charles I started to restore my first T type, a TA in 1960, and my friend was doing a TC. We didn't have access to the info that is now available, nor the parts, but I do remember discussions about mirrors and our reluctance to use anything marked 'Desmo'. Thing is, I'm not sure why, I guess it was because such items were proliferating on the more modern 'tinware' (now classics!) that were around at the time. However, we're talking about UK cars here, I don't know about EXU cars, but I suspect not Desmo. Tony TC9825
> From: Charles Hill candahill@worldnet.att.net> > Reply-To: candahill@worldnet.att.net > Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 22:48:17 -0500 > To: C Sherriff 100070.740@compuserve.com> > Cc: "INTERNET:kporter@unix.asb.com" kporter@unix.asb.com>, cvmga@aol.com, > mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Inside Mirror > > C Sherriff wrote: >> >> Message text written by INTERNET:kporter@unix.asb.com >>> I got a good look at an EXU just this past weekend. The inside mirror >> was stamped DESMO on the back side. I can't guarantee that this mirror >> was original but it is certainly from the same time period. This same >> mirror without the Desmo marking is available from Abingdon Spares. I >> believe it is listed in their catalog as a TD inside mirror. >> Ken TC 4147> ================================================== >> Hi Ken >> >> Desmo were popular UK aftersales accessory makers in the UK >> in the late 50s - 70s on >> >> If the EXU cars did have a mirror - or any extra lights ordered >> - it would have been from Lucas. >> >> Regards >> >> Clive >> >> >> >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > Clive, > > Just went down and checked my EXU. The mirror is marked DESMO. Do you > question whether or not the EXUs were fitted with mirrors? I checked my > TC service parts list and it does list the mirror for the EXU. Doesn't > list a part nr for the whole assembly. Most of the Lucas parts listed > also have the Lucas number listed parenthetically. The mirror doesn't > have such a number. > > Regards, > Charles Hill > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >