TC at Christie's Auction

Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com

TC at Christie's Auction

Post by Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com » Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:36 pm

I was at the Christies Auction in Pebble Beach last weekend. There was a beautiful MG TC there that I bid on, but was not the successful bidder. I thought I'd let you guys know about it. (I've copied Ray for him to forward it to the group in case it doesn't go through since I dropped off the list some time ago). I was bidding on a 1946 MG TC. It was black with red leather interior. The bonnet had been stripped to bare metal and had a Union Jack on the top rear of the bonnet. The wire wheels were red too. And, the underside, including the underside of the fenders was also painted red. The funny thing is that I've seen the car for years. I had a 1993 Pebble Beach Christies Auction book. My kids always looked at it for fun. In it was this very MG. I always always loved it. Then when I walked over the this Auction, THERE IT WAS! I couldn't believe it. So, I made a deal with my wife that if I won it, I would sell the Sunbeam Alpine and the Porsche 356 immediately. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I wasn't going to bid anywhere near where it went for - $30,000 (the final bid was about $26,000, but there is a 15% commission that must be paid by the buyer, bringing it to $30,000). The car itself looked clean as a whistle everywhere I looked, with clean fresh rubber, but there were negatives. The laquer paint seemed to have some stress marks on it. The engine was sadly a TR4 engine. I was told the tranny was the TC tranny. The clutch felt a little odd, but did work. Steering had a little play in it. Also, the headlights seemed wrong to me. They were not a full dome behind the lens, but had a small step in them - if that makes sense, sort of like a small brimmed hat. Also, some of that red paint underneath was oversprayed on some suspension parts (which themselves looked good). The wood under the carpets had seem better days (though the body wood which showed itself in small places here and there looked solid - at least at those places). Oh well. As Russ knows, I have a soft spot for black/red TC's with red wire wheels. One of these days, I will finally own a TC or earlier. And, if luck will have its way, it will either be black/red or maybe I'll make it that way. Jay

Bob McKarney

Re: TC at Christie's Auction

Post by Bob McKarney » Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:44 pm

Jay - That TC you saw at the Christies auction belonged to Reid Miles, the world renown photographer. You're correct in that the engine was TR4, as was the complete drive train. It also had special headlights that Reid had found in Europe and liked. You may have also noted that the louvers in the bonnet were backwards, which Reid himself didn't notice until driving in Colorado in the snow, he told me. It was, and I assume still is a magnificent example of a TC built to the owners requirements and to drive the wheels off. I had the good fortune to know Reid, and recall touring with him and a dozen or so other TC's from the gold country back to Los Angeles via Interstate 5 on a summer morning. I was in an MGB at the time, and got bored just out of Fresno pulled out of line and passed all the TC's. Reid pulled out behind me, and I attempted to lose him and could not shake him off my tail. We got all the way to the bottom of the Grapevine before I gave up. The funniest thing was to see the look on the faces of other drivers being passed at some rediculous speed by a silver, red and black MGTC. Fortunately, no CHP were present that morning. Reid was quite eccentric and quite an artist, and had the car built to his design. He also made a poster of the car posing with WWII uniformed army personnel. It was, I believe, number 4 of a series called "The Great Getaway Cars". I haven't seen the other posters, but have that in a special spot in my garage. The car was sold at auction several years ago for $25,000, I recall reading in Automobile Magazine. I only hope that the person that bought it this time bought it to drive. That's what it was build for.

Post by Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com » Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:03 pm

>You may have also noted that the >louvers in the bonnet were backwards, >which Reid himself didn't notice >until driving in Colorado in the snow, >he told me. It was, and I assume >still is a magnificent example of a >TC built to the owners requirements >and to drive the wheels off.
I knew it was Reid's from the 1993 Christies' auction, but didn't know anything about him or his flair. Makes me like it more - still wouldn't pay $30,000 for it though. Louvers backwards? Pardon my TC ignorance, were the louvers from the factory? Was the bonnet aluminum from the factory? Or, was his not aluminum, but steel covered in clear coat or something? So, are you saying that the rear end was TR4 too? I will say that the installation was, as Christies noted, extremely well executed. Jay

murray arundell

Post by murray arundell » Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:19 pm

US$30,000-00 !!!! Excuse me while I retreat to my shed and crate up my TC and send it to the US. Come to think of it, I might go and buy a few more here and send them as well!!! Seriously though, while I appreciate there is a bit of history behind this car (although to be honest I've not heard of this gentleman myself), how could anyone pay US$30K for such a hybird ? Perhaps someone could enlighten me, as I'm genuinely astonished! Murray Arundell
----- Original Message ----- From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com> To: bmckarney@thegrid.net> Cc: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, 23 August 2001 9:02 am Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] TC at Christie's Auction > > >You may have also noted that the > >louvers in the bonnet were backwards, > >which Reid himself didn't notice > >until driving in Colorado in the snow, > >he told me. It was, and I assume > >still is a magnificent example of a > >TC built to the owners requirements > >and to drive the wheels off. > > I knew it was Reid's from the 1993 Christies' auction, but didn't know > anything about him or his flair. Makes me like it more - still wouldn't > pay $30,000 for it though. > > Louvers backwards? Pardon my TC ignorance, were the louvers from the > factory? Was the bonnet aluminum from the factory? Or, was his not > aluminum, but steel covered in clear coat or something? > > So, are you saying that the rear end was TR4 too? I will say that the > installation was, as Christies noted, extremely well executed. > > Jay > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

Post by Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com » Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:29 pm

How could anyone pay $30,000 for this hybrid? First, that is exactly why I stepped back. Second, it seems to show just exactly how effective Christies can be. First they set up the cars all nice and pretty and produce a really nice brochure on every car, with a very romantic write up - not just two lines in your local paper, but two pages and glossy pictures. Then they set themselves up right next to the poshiest Concours and start the first lot 1.5 hours after the Concours awards ceremony is finished. So you've got all these rich folks who just had an afternoon of being surrounded by beautiful cars, with increased emotional desire for one, walking over to just what their hearts are begging for. It's perfect - and also shows that auctions may not be the best source to determine fair market value of our cars. I had hoped that the lack of reserve and the bad economy in the Bay Area might turn luck my way on this one. Guess not - unless the TR4 insides means I lucked out not getting it. However, given the whole package, I think it is a great car. Jay

Frank O_ The Mountain

Post by Frank O_ The Mountain » Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:25 pm

In a message dated 8/22/01 3:48:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bmckarney@thegrid.net writes: > I was once behind Reid on a Conclave toure in my TA, no slouch in the power dept., when he was being held up by a pickup truck. After a short time, he pulled to the right and passed the bewildered guy in a blast of dust and gravel!! After Reid passed, the car showed up at the Candy Store in Burlingame, CA and sat there mostly not driven. I hope some buys it to drive this time around.... Terry in Oakland, TA special!

Bob McKarney

Post by Bob McKarney » Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:29 pm

Jay - The bonnet was brushed aluminum made especially for Reid, and he requested louvers on top merely because he thought the bonnet required them from a visual standpoint...and who can argue with that, considering his professional artistic success. And yes, it was my understanding that the entire drive train was TR4 Murray, we have many here in the northern hemisphere who pay substantially more for much worse looking hybrids. i.e. Chrysler P.T.Cruisers, Prowlers, etc. I suspect the value of the car is what it means to the purchaser, be it nostalgia, mid-life crisis, a way to get to the grocery store, impressing the neighbors, or just plain fun. I have always valued my 30 years as a TC driver by the number of fascinating people and good friendships it has brought me and my family. It is the people and the touring experiences that have made the hobby worth while for me. I personally cannot understand those who would rather polish their cars than drive them, but I surely appreciate them as members of the MG tribe. Knowing Reid Miles was an experience not easily forgotten and impossible to duplicate, and that car was a joy to see and to drive, hybrid or not. One of our club members was once in England and chanced upon a Brit fueling up an H.R.G. at a petrol station outside London. He introduced himself and learned that the gentleman was going hill climbing in his priceless little jewel. The gentleman then asked: "Is it true what they say about you Americans and your MG-TC's?.. that you restore them to the nth degree, polish them until they are spotless, and then wrap them in little plastic baggies and store them away??" Not me.

Frank O_ The Mountain

Post by Frank O_ The Mountain » Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:31 pm

In a message dated 8/22/01 4:21:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time, arundell@ecn.net.au writes: > WeeeelL, Murray, what would it take to make you part with the V8 powered monster TC of yours??? Terry

Skip Kelsey

Post by Skip Kelsey » Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:33 pm

Jay: I saw that car several years ago. I have a very large advertisement picture that was done at the time. It shows several Army Air corp. officers in and out of the car.It was called the great getaway cars series profile plate. no. 4. It looks great on my office wall. Skip Kelsey................................... At 01:29 PM 8/22/01 -0700, Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com wrote:
>I was at the Christies Auction in Pebble Beach last weekend. There was a >beautiful MG TC there that I bid on, but was not the successful bidder. I >thought I'd let you guys know about it. (I've copied Ray for him to >forward it to the group in case it doesn't go through since I dropped off >the list some time ago). > >I was bidding on a 1946 MG TC. It was black with red leather interior. >The bonnet had been stripped to bare metal and had a Union Jack on the top >rear of the bonnet. The wire wheels were red too. And, the underside, >including the underside of the fenders was also painted red. The funny >thing is that I've seen the car for years. I had a 1993 Pebble Beach >Christies Auction book. My kids always looked at it for fun. In it was >this very MG. I always always loved it. Then when I walked over the this >Auction, THERE IT WAS! I couldn't believe it. So, I made a deal with my >wife that if I won it, I would sell the Sunbeam Alpine and the Porsche 356 >immediately. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I wasn't going to bid anywhere >near where it went for - $30,000 (the final bid was about $26,000, but >there is a 15% commission that must be paid by the buyer, bringing it to >$30,000). > >The car itself looked clean as a whistle everywhere I looked, with clean >fresh rubber, but there were negatives. The laquer paint seemed to have >some stress marks on it. The engine was sadly a TR4 engine. I was told >the tranny was the TC tranny. The clutch felt a little odd, but did work. >Steering had a little play in it. Also, the headlights seemed wrong to me. >They were not a full dome behind the lens, but had a small step in them - >if that makes sense, sort of like a small brimmed hat. Also, some of that >red paint underneath was oversprayed on some suspension parts (which >themselves looked good). The wood under the carpets had seem better days >(though the body wood which showed itself in small places here and there >looked solid - at least at those places). > >Oh well. As Russ knows, I have a soft spot for black/red TC's with red >wire wheels. > >One of these days, I will finally own a TC or earlier. And, if luck will >have its way, it will either be black/red or maybe I'll make it that way. > >Jay > > > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Bob McKarney

Post by Bob McKarney » Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:38 pm

Terry - you wrote: "I was once behind Reid on a Conclave toure in my TA, no slouch in the power dept., when he was being held up by a pickup truck. After a short time, he pulled to the right and passed the bewildered guy in a blast of dust and gravel!! " Reids eccentricities included his loathing of Joan Collins and following silly rules when he was trying to get somewhere.