Sleeping in Class!

CVMGA@aol.com

Sleeping in Class!

Post by CVMGA@aol.com » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:08 pm

Greetings, Sorry, but I did not really pay attention to the axle wedge debate as it did not apply to me at the time. Now I've acquired a car that has the wedges and will be run with an original steering box. What was the consensus? Leave them in or take 'em out? Thanks. . . .I'll pay attention from now on! Bruce Woodson

Want1937hd@aol.com

Re: Sleeping in Class!

Post by Want1937hd@aol.com » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:14 pm

In a message dated 7/25/01 3:11:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cvmga@aol.com writes: > Do you plan to drive on Roman built roads? Bob TC4956

David and Joyce Edgar

Post by David and Joyce Edgar » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:00 pm

Bruce, The consensus was the wedges are a matter of preference. Some like them, some remove them and some put them in backwards. The facts are the TC started with 8 degrees of caster (no wedge). To appease us weak armed colonist the factory added the wedge to reduce the caster to 5 1/2 degrees in 1948. Result was it was easier to steer while parking but it wandered a bit more at speed. For the muscle armed guys and gals, or for those with the Datsun steering box, some found putting in the wedges backwards (10 1/2 degrees) gave it terrific stability at speed but built up your arm muscles even more when parking as you are actually lifting up the front end of the TC as you turn the wheels. Of course you are lifting up the front end no matter what, but by how much is the factor and at speed you don't really notice it at all. Play with it depending on your driving. It is not a horiffic job to switch them around especially if you only take out two caddy corner bolts and only loosen the other two around each wedge as one chap described. Now if may make it easier to steer if you have both hands on the wheel instead of one on the brassiere (sorry Larry for adding to the clutter) especially if you are a lefty like Al. David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California
>In a message dated 7/25/01 3:11:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cvmga@aol.com >writes: > >did > not apply to me at the time. Now I've acquired a car that has the wedges >and > will be run with an original steering box. What was the consensus? Leave > them in or take 'em out? > > Thanks. . . .I'll pay attention from now on! > > Bruce Woodson >> > > Do you plan to drive on Roman built roads? Bob TC4956 > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

CVMGA@aol.com

Post by CVMGA@aol.com » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:49 pm

In a message dated 7/25/01 4:02:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, djedgar@pacbell.net writes:
The consensus was the wedges are a matter of preference.
Thanks David, that was a very informative response! I'll check tonight, but I believe they're in backwards anyway. Safety Faster. Bruce Woodson

David and Joyce Edgar

Post by David and Joyce Edgar » Wed Jul 25, 2001 2:14 pm

Bruce, When you check your wedges the factory setting is with the thick part to the back of the car to achieve the 5 1/2 degrees. Many people install them backward (thick part to the front) unknowingly. BTW the TC does not have to wander at speed with the wedges. If your steering and suspension is set up correctly the TC will track quite nicely even with the wedges. Taking out the wedges will help if your steering and suspension is loose though, but is not the proper fix. And for the Brits, were wedges fitted in home build TC's after '48 or was it only in the exported ones? David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California
>In a message dated 7/25/01 4:02:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >djedgar@pacbell.net writes: > > >>The consensus was the wedges are a matter of preference. >> > > >Thanks David, that was a very informative response! I'll check tonight, but >I believe they're in backwards anyway. > >Safety Faster. >Bruce Woodson >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Paul Huck

Post by Paul Huck » Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:58 pm

Wedges were only required on 'non-Roman' roads. PTH
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] djedgar@pacbell.net [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Wednesday, July 25, 2001 4:15 PM [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Sleeping in Class! Bruce, When you check your wedges the factory setting is with the thick part to the back of the car to achieve the 5 1/2 degrees. Many people install them backward (thick part to the front) unknowingly. BTW the TC does not have to wander at speed with the wedges. If your steering and suspension is set up correctly the TC will track quite nicely even with the wedges. Taking out the wedges will help if your steering and suspension is loose though, but is not the proper fix. And for the Brits, were wedges fitted in home build TC's after '48 or was it only in the exported ones? David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California [quote] In a message dated 7/25/01 4:02:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, djedgar@pacbell.net writes: The consensus was the wedges are a matter of preference.
Thanks David, that was a very informative response! I'll check tonight, but I believe they're in backwards anyway. Safety Faster. Bruce Woodson Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service. [/quote]

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Wed Jul 25, 2001 7:08 pm

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, David and Joyce Edgar wrote:
> And for the Brits, were wedges fitted in home build TC's after '48 or > was it only in the exported ones?
The wedges were fitted to the Home Model too. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net

AJChalmers@aol.com

Post by AJChalmers@aol.com » Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:09 pm

I have wedges backwards w/Datsun box and it still feels like power steering. Don't let Dubya Wilmer do this Googie tour on the weekend of Sept 9 cuz that's British Car Day here.