Mirrors

Victoria Vernon

Mirrors

Post by Victoria Vernon » Sun Jul 08, 2001 7:02 am

Hi out there,
some time ago I noticed that the rear view mirrors fitted to early Spitfires and Hurricanes looked very like those on a TA TB etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised as Lucas were the main manufacturers of many things automotive. Did our cars, apart from providing transport for Battle of Britain pilots, help in winning this battle?
Clem

Ray McCrary

Re: Mirrors

Post by Ray McCrary » Thu Jul 12, 2001 7:01 pm

All fighters have rear view mirrors. Usually, they are inside the canopy. Dunno on the Lucas mirrors, but it wouldn't surprise me. Best, Ray McCrary "Speed is Life; of course Luck and Altitude are helpful, too."
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] vernons@ibex.co.za [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Saturday, July 07, 2001 8:24 AM [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] Mirrors Hi out there, some time ago I noticed that the rear view mirrors fitted to early Spitfires and Hurricanes looked very like those on a TA TB etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised as Lucas were the main manufacturers of many things automotive. Did our cars, apart from providing transport for Battle of Britain pilots, help in winning this battle? Clem Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

joecurto@aol.com

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Fri Jul 13, 2001 5:14 am

Years ago I was contacted by an ex' AAAF Mustang pilot who was recreating his old WW2 ride, one of the things he was looking for were some interior mirrors which had been installed by his ground crew, the drawing he sent me was that of a TC type lucas mirror, specifically the type used on a pre-war 3.5 litre Jaguar. Joe

C Sherriff

Post by C Sherriff » Fri Jul 13, 2001 6:05 am

Message text written by INTERNET:joecurto@aol.com
>Years ago I was contacted by an ex' AAAF Mustang pilot who was recreating
his old WW2 ride, one of the things he was looking for were some interior mirrors which had been installed by his ground crew, the drawing he sent me was that of a TC type lucas mirror, specifically the type used on a pre-war 3.5 litre Jaguar. ! The mirrors fitted to Spitfires in WW2 were many and various and depended on what got through on the day, and what the pilot prefered! Two types were however common, fitted to the top of, and above, the windscreen, and viewed through the top of the canopy when it was closed. The most common towards the mid - latter days of the war was a Round, parabolic backed one about 4inches and a bit in diameter. The other is the one that looks like the MG T Type one, except that a T Type mirror would probably tear apart at 400 mph ! The one used was the same dimensions, but was heavier, and had a very substancial mounting bracket on the back as opposed to the relatively flimsy one on the Cars. Quite a vew companies made tis type of mirror at the time and apart from the badges are hard to tell apart! If anyones is desperate I can probably find a photo of the correct mirror and bracket. Clive Oxford UK

C Sherriff

Post by C Sherriff » Sat Jul 14, 2001 12:59 am

Message text written by "Paul Huck"
>
I have NEVER had my T-type mirror tear apart at 400 MPH!

Sally Carroll

Mirrors

Post by Sally Carroll » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:47 pm

I have in my possession an original factory sales brochure containing 2 photos clearly indicating no mirror has been fitted to the center. . . I suppose with the bonnet stowed they figured it was not needed. Our TC came with a mirror mounted on a stalk in the center of the cowl which is held in place with edge clamps. I have also seen several versions of mirrors mounted on the Windscreen pillar. The photo is not of particularly good resolution but mirrors appear to be installed on both sides of the windscreen. The photo also shows a large 3 spoke black steering wheel with medallion imprinted in the flat centre plate. Sally Carroll, Russell Ohio TC 6466 TF 7227 YB 0610 MGA 70355 MGBGT 246221 Morris Pickup 80622 TR7 5551 --- My virus scanner says this Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.773 / Virus Database: 520 - Release Date: 05-Oct-04

joecurto@aol.com

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:14 am

While this is not specifically about TC mirrors there is a fellow here in USA who makes a beautiful mirror for T types which mounts on the windscreen mount bracket, he has a gracefully turned arm in stainless and used the round repro Lucas wing mirror head also in stainless. the mirror mounts in the curved slot where screen folds down no holes to drill but you do have to remove and reposition when you fold the screen (very easy). I modified a pair for my Morris Minor Van and they look wonderful and not obnoxious. He was getting 95.00 the pair I do not have any e-mail but here is his address. Gill Landswager 46 Stonington Drive Pittsford NY 14534-2924 585 385-9956 Joe Curto [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sally Carroll

Mirrors

Post by Sally Carroll » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:15 am

Ah-Ha. . . . so is the one in our TC. I wondered where it originated. I never thought to compare directly. . . The one in the MGA requires me to carry a hat to park over it at night because the following cars blind me with the reflection.
>
Sally Carroll, Russell Ohio TC 6466 TF 7227 YB 0610 MGA 70355 MGBGT 246221 Morris Pickup 80622 TR7 5551
> >
--- My virus scanner says this Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.773 / Virus Database: 520 - Release Date: 05-Oct-04

Jorolibb@aol.com

Post by Jorolibb@aol.com » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:48 pm

Sally, A hat is not needed if you just readjust the mirror up, down, left or right until the light is not in your eyes. At least this is what I do. John Libbert Milford, OH TC 2138 MGA 70528 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Joe Curto

Mirrors

Post by Joe Curto » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:53 am

Fellows a few years back in the States there was a fellow who made a very nice side mount mirror for T cars which mounted in the windshield stanchion where the wing nut lived.He had a German sounding name and advertised in the TSO. I bought a pair back around 2002 . I would like to get another pair might someone out there know him or this product ?

Joe