Re: Your TC

Dave Osborn

Post by Dave Osborn » Mon Jun 11, 2001 7:08 am

You are absolutely correct, Carl. My dilemma is that I found my car as a complete basket case with no ID plates at all on either car or engine........only thing to go by was the chassis #. However, we found no bumpers, and no holes for rear turn signals (there was no wiring harness). Interesting that there were some 'extra' holes in the firewall (scuttle) that may have been for horns, but these may have been drilled later, and no horns found in the boxes of parts. I was wondering when or if the factory stopped producing the EXU's or did they produce both models simultaneously on the production line right up till the end. I hope that I am not the only one who finds this subject of interest. Dave Osborn TC 10217 -----Original Message----- From: CFritz7001@aol.com [mailto:CFritz7001@aol.com] Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 9:51 AM To: daveo@excellmfg.com Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Your TC Dave, I would think that your TC is a "Home" model by virtue of its having a "Thirtylight" and no "EXU" in conjunction with its chassis number. (Since you did not mention that point, I assume it wasn't there.). EXUs had some other differences, including turn signals (extra tail lights mounted on the upper sides of the tank, and a rather unusual set of relays to operate the signals), and bumpers (somewhat similar to those on a TD). Hope this helps. Regards, Carl Fritz TC # 6756 (Betsy) VA # 2009 S (Abigail) Gainesville, Florida

DAI

Post by DAI » Mon Jun 11, 2001 7:37 am

Dave, Under the ID plate on the toolbox, are there 2 holes closer together to take the screws for the "Made in England" plate? DAI --- Dave Osborn daveo@excellmfg.com> wrote: > You are absolutely correct, Carl. My dilemma is
> that I found my car as a > complete basket case with no ID plates at all on > either car or > engine........only thing to go by was the chassis #. > However, we found no > bumpers, and no holes for rear turn signals (there > was no wiring harness). > Interesting that there were some 'extra' holes in > the firewall (scuttle) > that may have been for horns, but these may have > been drilled later, and no > horns found in the boxes of parts. I was wondering > when or if the factory > stopped producing the EXU's or did they produce both > models simultaneously > on the production line right up till the end. I > hope that I am not the only > one who finds this subject of interest. > Dave Osborn > TC 10217 > > -----Original Message----- > From: CFritz7001@aol.com [mailto:CFritz7001@aol.com] > Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 9:51 AM > To: daveo@excellmfg.com > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Your TC > > > Dave, > I would think that your TC is a "Home" model by > virtue of its having a > "Thirtylight" and no "EXU" in conjunction with its > chassis number. (Since > you did not mention that point, I assume it wasn't > there.). > EXUs had some other differences, including turn > signals (extra tail > lights mounted on the upper sides of the tank, and a > rather unusual set of > relays to operate the signals), and bumpers > (somewhat similar to those on a > > TD). > Hope this helps. > Regards, > Carl Fritz > TC # 6756 (Betsy) > VA # 2009 S (Abigail) > Gainesville, Florida > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
____________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.co.uk address at http://mail.yahoo.co.uk or your free @yahoo.ie address at http://mail.yahoo.ie

Dave Osborn

Post by Dave Osborn » Mon Jun 11, 2001 7:44 am

Mark; Perhaps I should mention that besides makers plates, an awful lot of other parts were missing.....no headlamps, 4 incorrect wheels, no grille shell, no interior, no spare tire rack, no foot plate, etc, etc. either, and no mystery brackets for the missing bumpers. Actually amazing that this car now looks like the beautiful TC that it started life as (maybe better). The center dash panel was there, and didn't have any place for turn signal switch. I thought the turn signal switch on the EXU's was located under the dash. Dave Osborn TC 10217 -----Original Message----- From: Mark McCombs [mailto:loadcel4@infinet.com] Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 10:28 AM To: Dave Osborn Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Your TC Hi, Dave- other EXU things would be TD style headlights(altho maybe all the last TC's hads this EXU mod; turn signal switch or place for it on the metal dash center, any mystery brackets that may have held your bumpers, ....If I think of others, Ill advise- Regards, Mark EXU TC8126
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Osborn" daveo@excellmfg.com> To: CFritz7001@aol.com>; "T-ABC GROUP (E-mail)" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 10:08 AM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Your TC > You are absolutely correct, Carl. My dilemma is that I found my car as a > complete basket case with no ID plates at all on either car or > engine........only thing to go by was the chassis #. However, we found no > bumpers, and no holes for rear turn signals (there was no wiring harness). > Interesting that there were some 'extra' holes in the firewall (scuttle) > that may have been for horns, but these may have been drilled later, and no > horns found in the boxes of parts. I was wondering when or if the factory > stopped producing the EXU's or did they produce both models simultaneously > on the production line right up till the end. I hope that I am not the only > one who finds this subject of interest. > Dave Osborn > TC 10217 > > -----Original Message----- > From: CFritz7001@aol.com [mailto:CFritz7001@aol.com] > Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 9:51 AM > To: daveo@excellmfg.com > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Your TC > > > Dave, > I would think that your TC is a "Home" model by virtue of its having a > "Thirtylight" and no "EXU" in conjunction with its chassis number. (Since > you did not mention that point, I assume it wasn't there.). > EXUs had some other differences, including turn signals (extra tail > lights mounted on the upper sides of the tank, and a rather unusual set of > relays to operate the signals), and bumpers (somewhat similar to those on a > > TD). > Hope this helps. > Regards, > Carl Fritz > TC # 6756 (Betsy) > VA # 2009 S (Abigail) > Gainesville, Florida > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

Dave Osborn

Post by Dave Osborn » Mon Jun 11, 2001 7:47 am

Dai, You mean the ID plate that's not there? Not sure, I'll have a look tonight when I get home. Speaking of that, does anyone out there do the correct stamping (font/size) for the makers plate? I have a blank plate that I purchased years ago, but never had the stamping done. Dave Osborn TC 10217 -----Original Message----- From: DAI [mailto:dairwin_2000@yahoo.com] Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 10:35 AM To: Dave Osborn; 'CFritz7001@aol.com'; T-ABC GROUP (E-mail) Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Your TC Dave, Under the ID plate on the toolbox, are there 2 holes closer together to take the screws for the "Made in England" plate? DAI --- Dave Osborn daveo@excellmfg.com> wrote: > You are absolutely correct, Carl. My dilemma is
> that I found my car as a > complete basket case with no ID plates at all on > either car or > engine........only thing to go by was the chassis #. > However, we found no > bumpers, and no holes for rear turn signals (there > was no wiring harness). > Interesting that there were some 'extra' holes in > the firewall (scuttle) > that may have been for horns, but these may have > been drilled later, and no > horns found in the boxes of parts. I was wondering > when or if the factory > stopped producing the EXU's or did they produce both > models simultaneously > on the production line right up till the end. I > hope that I am not the only > one who finds this subject of interest. > Dave Osborn > TC 10217 > > -----Original Message----- > From: CFritz7001@aol.com [mailto:CFritz7001@aol.com] > Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 9:51 AM > To: daveo@excellmfg.com > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Your TC > > > Dave, > I would think that your TC is a "Home" model by > virtue of its having a > "Thirtylight" and no "EXU" in conjunction with its > chassis number. (Since > you did not mention that point, I assume it wasn't > there.). > EXUs had some other differences, including turn > signals (extra tail > lights mounted on the upper sides of the tank, and a > rather unusual set of > relays to operate the signals), and bumpers > (somewhat similar to those on a > > TD). > Hope this helps. > Regards, > Carl Fritz > TC # 6756 (Betsy) > VA # 2009 S (Abigail) > Gainesville, Florida > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
____________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.co.uk address at http://mail.yahoo.co.uk or your free @yahoo.ie address at http://mail.yahoo.ie

Dave Osborn

Post by Dave Osborn » Mon Jun 11, 2001 8:11 am

Mark, Thanks for the clarification. The center panel that came with the car has the inspection light sockets. Dave Osborn TC 10217 -----Original Message----- From: Mark McCombs [mailto:loadcel4@infinet.com] Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 10:57 AM To: Dave Osborn Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Your TC No, its on the dash panel, in place of the inspection light sockets (I just checked in the basement to be sure!) Regards Mark
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Osborn" daveo@excellmfg.com> To: "'Mark McCombs'" loadcel4@infinet.com>; "T-ABC GROUP (E-mail)" mg-tabc@eGroups.com> Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 10:40 AM Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Your TC > Mark; > Perhaps I should mention that besides makers plates, an awful lot of other > parts were missing.....no headlamps, 4 incorrect wheels, no grille shell, no > interior, no spare tire rack, no foot plate, etc, etc. either, and no > mystery brackets for the missing bumpers. Actually amazing that this car > now looks like the beautiful TC that it started life as (maybe better). The > center dash panel was there, and didn't have any place for turn signal > switch. I thought the turn signal switch on the EXU's was located under the > dash. > Dave Osborn > TC 10217 > > -----Original Message----- > From: Mark McCombs [mailto:loadcel4@infinet.com] > Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 10:28 AM > To: Dave Osborn > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Your TC > > > Hi, Dave- > other EXU things would be TD style headlights(altho maybe all the last TC's > hads this EXU mod; > turn signal switch or place for it on the metal dash center, any mystery > brackets that may have held your bumpers, ....If I think of others, Ill > advise- > Regards, > Mark EXU TC8126 > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Dave Osborn" daveo@excellmfg.com> > To: CFritz7001@aol.com>; "T-ABC GROUP (E-mail)" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 10:08 AM > Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Your TC > > > > You are absolutely correct, Carl. My dilemma is that I found my car as a > > complete basket case with no ID plates at all on either car or > > engine........only thing to go by was the chassis #. However, we found no > > bumpers, and no holes for rear turn signals (there was no wiring harness). > > Interesting that there were some 'extra' holes in the firewall (scuttle) > > that may have been for horns, but these may have been drilled later, and > no > > horns found in the boxes of parts. I was wondering when or if the factory > > stopped producing the EXU's or did they produce both models simultaneously > > on the production line right up till the end. I hope that I am not the > only > > one who finds this subject of interest. > > Dave Osborn > > TC 10217 > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: CFritz7001@aol.com [mailto:CFritz7001@aol.com] > > Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 9:51 AM > > To: daveo@excellmfg.com > > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Your TC > > > > > > Dave, > > I would think that your TC is a "Home" model by virtue of its having a > > "Thirtylight" and no "EXU" in conjunction with its chassis number. > (Since > > you did not mention that point, I assume it wasn't there.). > > EXUs had some other differences, including turn signals (extra tail > > lights mounted on the upper sides of the tank, and a rather unusual set of > > relays to operate the signals), and bumpers (somewhat similar to those on > a > > > > TD). > > Hope this helps. > > Regards, > > Carl Fritz > > TC # 6756 (Betsy) > > VA # 2009 S (Abigail) > > Gainesville, Florida > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > >

Robert Grunau

Post by Robert Grunau » Mon Jun 11, 2001 8:15 am

Hi Dave, I have an EXU TC and can answer questions concerning these models. Chassis number can be forwarded to Roger Furneaux who can then give you engine number and date it left factory and I believe if it had an EXU designation. There are no holes for rear signal lights, the wires go up inside the gas tank ends. There are no extra holes for bumpers, they used the spare wheel carrier mounting bolts at the rear and shock bolts at the front. Extra holes on each side of scuttle for EXU horns were re-inforced on the inside with a small sheet metal "channel", about 1 1/2" wide and full length of battery box. Thirty light connection on the speedo means nothing, a lot of cars had this feature which was usually not connected. EXU center dash panel has no inspection light socket as this was replaced by the signal light switch. Switch is in the metal dash panel, not under. Also instruments/switches are different from "ordinary" TC. There are a couple more diffrences, but if the majority of stuff you got does not conform to EXU TC, I would assume it's a regular TC. Nothin' wrong with that, in fact larger headlights and no bumpers make it a more attractive looking car. IMHO. Bob Ps:Still thinking about Tickford restoration, now if the guy that sold me the car would just come up with the missing parts I'd be "Home Free". You are absolutely correct, Carl. My dilemma is that I found my car as a complete basket case with no ID plates at all on either car or engine........only thing to go by was the chassis #. However, we found no bumpers, and no holes for rear turn signals (there was no wiring harness). Interesting that there were some 'extra' holes in the firewall (scuttle) that may have been for horns, but these may have been drilled later, and no horns found in the boxes of parts. I was wondering when or if the factory stopped producing the EXU's or did they produce both models simultaneously on the production line right up till the end. I hope that I am not the only one who finds this subject of interest. Dave Osborn TC 10217 Dave, I would think that your TC is a "Home" model by virtue of its having a "Thirtylight" and no "EXU" in conjunction with its chassis number. (Since you did not mention that point, I assume it wasn't there.). EXUs had some other differences, including turn signals (extra tail lights mounted on the upper sides of the tank, and a rather unusual set of relays to operate the signals), and bumpers (somewhat similar to those on a TD). Hope this helps. Regards, Carl Fritz TC # 6756 (Betsy) VA # 2009 S (Abigail) Gainesville, Florida Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Dave Osborn

Post by Dave Osborn » Mon Jun 11, 2001 8:37 am

Bob; Great information on the EXU's! I did contact Roger Furneaux as I said at the beginning of this thread, who provided me with the production date and engine #, but no indication of EXU status. With regards to the other indicators; Car had no gas tank end plates. no spare tire rack. Must check for the reinforcements for the horns. No instuments, therefore no speedo. However, did have a 30 MPH warning lamp. Had center dash plate with inspection lamp sockets. So, I do believe that is a 'home' model after all. At any rate I completed the restoration under the assumption that it was a home model including the placement of the horn and fog lamp on the badge bar (also all missing). Ps This car sounds a bit like the Tickford that guy sold you! Dave Osborn TC 10217 -----Original Message----- From: Robert Grunau [mailto:cgrunau@pathcom.com] Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 10:14 AM To: Dave Osborn Cc: T-ABCs Forever Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] Your TC Hi Dave, I have an EXU TC and can answer questions concerning these models. Chassis number can be forwarded to Roger Furneaux who can then give you engine number and date it left factory and I believe if it had an EXU designation. There are no holes for rear signal lights, the wires go up inside the gas tank ends. There are no extra holes for bumpers, they used the spare wheel carrier mounting bolts at the rear and shock bolts at the front. Extra holes on each side of scuttle for EXU horns were re-inforced on the inside with a small sheet metal "channel", about 1 1/2" wide and full length of battery box. Thirty light connection on the speedo means nothing, a lot of cars had this feature which was usually not connected. EXU center dash panel has no inspection light socket as this was replaced by the signal light switch. Switch is in the metal dash panel, not under. Also instruments/switches are different from "ordinary" TC. There are a couple more diffrences, but if the majority of stuff you got does not conform to EXU TC, I would assume it's a regular TC. Nothin' wrong with that, in fact larger headlights and no bumpers make it a more attractive looking car. IMHO. Bob Ps:Still thinking about Tickford restoration, now if the guy that sold me the car would just come up with the missing parts I'd be "Home Free". You are absolutely correct, Carl. My dilemma is that I found my car as a complete basket case with no ID plates at all on either car or engine........only thing to go by was the chassis #. However, we found no bumpers, and no holes for rear turn signals (there was no wiring harness). Interesting that there were some 'extra' holes in the firewall (scuttle) that may have been for horns, but these may have been drilled later, and no horns found in the boxes of parts. I was wondering when or if the factory stopped producing the EXU's or did they produce both models simultaneously on the production line right up till the end. I hope that I am not the only one who finds this subject of interest. Dave Osborn TC 10217 Dave, I would think that your TC is a "Home" model by virtue of its having a "Thirtylight" and no "EXU" in conjunction with its chassis number. (Since you did not mention that point, I assume it wasn't there.). EXUs had some other differences, including turn signals (extra tail lights mounted on the upper sides of the tank, and a rather unusual set of relays to operate the signals), and bumpers (somewhat similar to those on a TD). Hope this helps. Regards, Carl Fritz TC # 6756 (Betsy) VA # 2009 S (Abigail) Gainesville, Florida Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Mon Jun 11, 2001 11:37 am

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Dave Osborn wrote:
> So, I do believe that is a 'home' model after all. At any rate I > completed the restoration under the assumption that it was a home > model including the placement of the horn and fog lamp on the badge > bar (also all missing).
Based on your description your TC definitely isn't an EXU model, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a Home Model. The Home Model was equipped to meet motor vehicle regulations in the UK and was meant only for sale in the UK. The TC was exported to many other countries besides the US, of course, and there were a variety of small differences depending on the motor vehicle regulations in the destination country. Some time in the dim and distant past I came across a list of codes the factory used internally for various export variations. "EXU" was the only one that was ever actually incorporated into the car number, though. One possible clue I haven't seen mentioned yet (if it has been mentioned, I missed it): Do you have the original wiring harness? If so, does it have a high beam and low beam wire for both headlamps? If so, it's an export model. The Home Model had high and low beam on the left side, only high beam on the right side. When you switched to low beam the right side went out and thew left side went to low. As far as I know no other export destination allowed that rather peculiar "dip and switch" setup. Chip

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:41 pm

Dave - the EXUs were made in batches and the last was TC10236 on 9 Nov. 49 so they may well have been confusion as to what they were going to be, and extra holes drilled etc. cheers TCRoger
>You are absolutely correct, Carl. My dilemma is that I found my car as a >complete basket case with no ID plates at all on either car or >engine........only thing to go by was the chassis #. However, we found no >bumpers, and no holes for rear turn signals (there was no wiring harness). >Interesting that there were some 'extra' holes in the firewall (scuttle) >that may have been for horns, but these may have been drilled later, and no >horns found in the boxes of parts. I was wondering when or if the factory >stopped producing the EXU's or did they produce both models simultaneously >on the production line right up till the end. I hope that I am not the only >one who finds this subject of interest. >Dave Osborn >TC 10217

Dave Osborn

Post by Dave Osborn » Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:26 am

Thanks Roger; Always wondered about how the EXU's fit into production, and I never considered the possibility of the extra holes being in there from the factory as an EXU intended scuttle. Enjoy, Dave Osborn TC 10217 -----Original Message----- From: Roger Furneaux [mailto:Roger.46TC@virgin.net] Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 3:46 PM To: Dave Osborn Cc: .T-ABCs Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Your TC Dave - the EXUs were made in batches and the last was TC10236 on 9 Nov. 49 so they may well have been confusion as to what they were going to be, and extra holes drilled etc. cheers TCRoger
>You are absolutely correct, Carl. My dilemma is that I found my car as a >complete basket case with no ID plates at all on either car or >engine........only thing to go by was the chassis #. However, we found no >bumpers, and no holes for rear turn signals (there was no wiring harness). >Interesting that there were some 'extra' holes in the firewall (scuttle) >that may have been for horns, but these may have been drilled later, and no >horns found in the boxes of parts. I was wondering when or if the factory >stopped producing the EXU's or did they produce both models simultaneously >on the production line right up till the end. I hope that I am not the
only
>one who finds this subject of interest. >Dave Osborn >TC 10217