Early Front Wings

twilson@motionwear.net

Early Front Wings

Post by twilson@motionwear.net » Tue Apr 17, 2001 6:41 pm

TC0272 appears to have an unmatched pair of front wings. The drivers side has a sharp cutback while the passenger side is much softer and more rounded, with about 2" less cutback. I've heard that the cutbacks could be different on near and far side, but I wouldn't think it would be this much. Placing a straightedge across from the bottom to the outermost part and measuring the inset of the cutback - one is about 5.5", the passenger side about 3.5". Does it appear that I'm right? If so and I become crazy enough to want the correct wing(s) - where does one find an early wing (or have a proper one made)? Thanks, Tom Wilson

Charles Hill

Re: Early Front Wings

Post by Charles Hill » Tue Apr 17, 2001 6:59 pm

Tom, You are not imagining things. You have an early left wing and a late right wing. I have a '46 and a '49. When you compare the 2 cars, you can see the difference in the wings. My '46 had the original wings, but they are in such bad shape (especially the left one) that my body man doesn't want to attempt to repair them. Its not so much the damage as the previously attempted repairs have very badly streched the metal. If you find a source for correct early fenders, let me know. I will let you know if I find anything. Regards, Charles Hill twilson@motionwear.net wrote:
> > TC0272 appears to have an unmatched pair of front wings. The drivers side > has a sharp cutback while the passenger side is much softer and more > rounded, with about 2" less cutback. > I've heard that the cutbacks could be different on near and far side, but I > wouldn't think it would be this much. Placing a straightedge across from > the bottom to the outermost part and measuring the inset of the cutback - > one is about 5.5", the passenger side about 3.5". > > Does it appear that I'm right? > If so and I become crazy enough to want the correct wing(s) - where does one > find an early wing (or have a proper one made)? > > Thanks, > > Tom Wilson >

Bill707@aol.com

Post by Bill707@aol.com » Thu Apr 19, 2001 11:11 am

Do we have the makings of a splinter Register or at least a Cult here??? Tom Wilson & Charles Hill confess to mismatched front wings... I too will add my name to the list and offer up Barry Swackhamer as well. In my case it's a "49 EXU with deep sculpt on the near side and shallow on the off. Mike Sherrell has quite a bit to say about it... start on page 58. Bill Tantau #7606

Emgeeguy@aol.com

Post by Emgeeguy@aol.com » Thu Apr 19, 2001 4:55 pm

Well, I'll throw in my name as well. Got an early and a late front wing, and had an early and late rear wing as well! Mine is a '48 TC. Larry Long

Paul Huck

Post by Paul Huck » Thu Apr 19, 2001 5:24 pm

What about the airfoil characteristics of the difference in the leading edge of these mis-matched wings. Would not that make the car pull to one side? What a thread to develop! PTH
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] Emgeeguy@aol.com [b]To:[/b] Bill707@aol.com ; candahill@worldnet.att.net ; twilson@motionwear.net [b]Cc:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, April 19, 2001 6:55 PM [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Early Front Wings Well, I'll throw in my name as well. Got an early and a late front wing, and had an early and late rear wing as well! Mine is a '48 TC. Larry Long Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Bill707@aol.com

Post by Bill707@aol.com » Fri Apr 20, 2001 12:07 am

In a message dated 4/19/01 17:25:13, paulhuck@bellsouth.net writes: > Oh, I cured that with a Taiwanese badge bar! BT

Robert Grunau

Post by Robert Grunau » Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:33 am

I'll join the splinter register of mis-matched front wings, well sort of. In about 1973 I first restored TC-8654 EXU. The left front wing was damaged and I found a NOS early wing to replace it ( I did'nt know there was a difference ). I did however notice the difference in depth of sculpt and since the right wing front edge was damaged, I cut it back and refolded the edge to match the right NOS early wing. The car is being re-restored with these wings, part of the history. Bob Do we have the makings of a splinter Register or at least a Cult here??? Tom Wilson & Charles Hill confess to mismatched front wings... I too will add my name to the list and offer up Barry Swackhamer as well. In my case it's a "49 EXU with deep sculpt on the near side and shallow on the off. Mike Sherrell has quite a bit to say about it... start on page 58. Bill Tantau #7606

John Boles

Early Front Wings

Post by John Boles » Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:38 am

Hi Everyone: I might as well throw my 2 cents in as well--my 1946 TC has old and new front wings. Paul Huck is right on the money--whenever I go over 120 mph it pulls to the right. Now I know why. :-) Enjoy the nice weather and drive safe! John Boles 1946 TC-1584

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:59 am

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, John Boles wrote to MG TABC List:
> I might as well throw my 2 cents in as well--my 1946 TC has old and > new front wings. Paul Huck is right on the money--whenever I go over > 120 mph it pulls to the right. Now I know why. :-)
You can add me to the Mismatch Sub-Register. TC6710 had mismatched front wings when I got it in 1968. Unfortunately I can't add to the airfoil effect discussion, because for most of the time it was still my daily driver I had cycle wings on the front. Pushing those original wings through the air at highway speed was like trying to make a sailboat sail straight into the wind. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, MD, USA 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net

Bob McClaren

Post by Bob McClaren » Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:26 pm

Here is another anomaly for the mismatched wing sub-registry. TC 3443 has "bondo" and old fiberglass in the left front wing, "bondo" only in the right front and both rear fenders are fiberglass, courtesy of one or more DPOs. I have obtained a pair of original steel rear fenders but the fiberglass ones must stay until I tackle the body off restoration. I haven't a clue as to whether the front wings can be repaired...either by me or by someone else but within my budget. Bob McClaren TC # 3443