BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDERS

John Patterson

BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDERS

Post by John Patterson » Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:17 am

I am getting ready to send the wheel cylinders to White Post for sleeving and boring
The list has covered this data before but I can't find the answers I need
They are to be sleeved with bronze sleeves - correct?
The bore is what I need so the cylinders can use common size pistons readily available. What is that dia.? This was on this site before but I did not save it.
Does anyone know how to save all these messages on a floppy?
John Patterson TC 7025

Want1937hd@aol.com

Re: BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDERS

Post by Want1937hd@aol.com » Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:58 am

I'll need that info also for TC4946. While we are talking brakes, is it safe to reuse the original copper brake lines? Mine have no rust on the armor cable covering and they came apart without trouble. Bob

C Sherriff

Post by C Sherriff » Sat Apr 14, 2001 6:49 am

Message text written by INTERNET:Want1937hd@aol.com
>I'll need that info also for TC4946. While we are talking brakes, is it
safe to reuse the original copper brake lines? Mine have no rust on the armor cable covering and they came apart without trouble. Bob End of todays trivia section Regards Clive

Neil Nelson

Post by Neil Nelson » Sat Apr 14, 2001 9:49 pm

You have female ends on the brake pipes on a TA? I did not know that. The TC has male connectors on all brake pipes. The hoses are also male on both ends. The TC also uses the double flare on the brake pipe ends. I have reused the cupronickel brake lines on my TC and have had no trouble whatsoever. That being said, if you feel like new lines would be safer, go to it. Save the old fittings and get a double flaring tool or have it done professionally. Neil -----Original Message----- From: C Sherriff [mailto:Clives_page@compuserve.com]On Behalf Of C Sherriff Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2001 9:50 AM To: INTERNET:Want1937hd@aol.com Cc: [unknown]; [unknown] Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDERS Message text written by INTERNET:Want1937hd@aol.com
>I'll need that info also for TC4946. While we are talking brakes, is it
safe to reuse the original copper brake lines? Mine have no rust on the armor cable covering and they came apart without trouble. Bob End of todays trivia section Regards Clive Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Sun Apr 15, 2001 7:07 am

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Neil Nelson wrote to Mg-Tabc@Yahoogroups. Com:
> The TC also uses the double flare on the brake pipe ends. I have > reused the cupronickel brake lines on my TC and have had no trouble > whatsoever.
I've just checked the copper brake pipes taken out of several TCs over the decades (don't ask why I saved them). The ends are all single-flared. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, MD, USA 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net

Neil Nelson

Post by Neil Nelson » Sun Apr 15, 2001 9:58 pm

Chip, you are probably right. I also have a TD and it has double flared fittings. Since the TC was done several years ago my memory (vague as it is) put two and two together and came up with 5. I still say it is ok to reuse the old lines if they are still in good condition. But again, the decision to replace them should be only after a thorough inspection. If they are suspect, replace them. By the way, has anyone discovered a good way to bend the brake tubing without either kinking it or making too large a radius of bend? I have tried it by hand and using the various tubing bender tools that look like a large hook. None of these methods were totally successful. I have heard about using a spring around the tubing but have not tried it. Neil -----Original Message----- From: fold@mail.bcpl.net [mailto:fold@mail.bcpl.net]On Behalf Of Chip Old Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2001 10:08 AM To: MG-TABC Subject: RE: [mg-tabc] BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDERS On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Neil Nelson wrote to Mg-Tabc@Yahoogroups. Com:
> The TC also uses the double flare on the brake pipe ends. I have > reused the cupronickel brake lines on my TC and have had no trouble > whatsoever.
I've just checked the copper brake pipes taken out of several TCs over the decades (don't ask why I saved them). The ends are all single-flared. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, MD, USA 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

C Sherriff

Post by C Sherriff » Sun Apr 15, 2001 11:51 pm

Message text written by Chip Old
>
I've just checked the copper brake pipes taken out of several TCs over the decades (don't ask why I saved them). The ends are all single-flared.

Emgeeguy@aol.com

Post by Emgeeguy@aol.com » Mon Apr 16, 2001 8:46 am

When I restored my TC, I bought new steel brake lines, and threw them in with the stuff I was having chrome plated, asking the plater to put a flash of copper on them. So they look original (copper), but are better and safer. Larry

Roger Furneaux

Post by Roger Furneaux » Mon Apr 16, 2001 4:11 pm

Re: [mg-tabc] BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDERS
[quote]When I restored my TC, I bought new steel brake lines, and threw them in with the stuff I was having chrome plated, asking the plater to put a flash of copper on them. So they look original (copper), but are better and safer. Larry How is steel "better"? The bursting pressure of new copper pipe is far more than that needed to blast the cylinder rubbers out past the pistons! and if you are using hygroscopic mineral fliud then the corrosion problems are going to be a tad worrying - or did your plater coat the [b]insides[/b] of the pipes... In reply to a previous question, the [b]best[/b] way to change to Silicone is to install it in a perfectly dry braking system, and the only way to ensure that is use all new parts, which will cost a lot less than a new hood, or a paint job, or.... OK, I cheated slightly and still have the original wheel cylinders, but after a few years storage they developed a nice film of rust in the bores (which dried them out) which I honed away. all the rubbers are genuine Lockheed Girling, but many modern rubbers will swell up in silicone. oc[b]T[/b]agonally Roger
[/quote]

Chase, Jim

Post by Chase, Jim » Tue Apr 17, 2001 3:20 am

Roger It is encouraging to hear of your experience with silicon brake fluid. I started the rebuild of my TC about 1996. At that time I had heard warnings about silicone brake fluid causing swelling of rubber seals. The brake rubbers I obtained from the Octagon club came in Lockheed Girling boxes but were also accompanied by a disclaimer from the Octagon club concerning use with silicone fluid. Silicone brake fluid appears to have considerable advantages, but I was unsure about the compatibly with the brake system rubbers, so I left a pair of new front brake cylinder cup seals pickled in a jar of silicone fluid. My rebuild got stalled for a good few years so it was only recently (after about 5 years) that I removed the rubber seals from the jar of silicone fluid to and fitted them to the cylinders. I compared the seals to the other set that had been kept dry and could not detect any swelling or increase in size. The only strange thing that I noticed was that the silicone fluid in the jar had become completely colourless, whereas the fluid in the container had remained its original blue colour. This can not be explained by exposure to light because the jar had been kept in a dark cupboard. I am wondering whether the blue colour of the silicone fluid is a colourant similar to that used in methylated spirit and that the seals had absorbed all of the colourant. If this is the case and the seals are exposed to a much larger volume of silicone fluid in the brake system could swelling of the seals due to absorption of a colouring agent be a problem? I would be interested to hear of anyone else's experience with using silicone fluid in TC brake systems. Regarding your reply to Emgeeguy. I also can't see how "steel is better". Modern cars use steel piping with external zinc coatings. This lasts about 10 years before the zinc corrodes away and leaves the steel unprotected usually resulting in MOT failure. The point is that zinc protects the steel tubing even when the coating is scratched or damaged. Copper unlike zinc has a higher electrode potential than steel and will help to concentrate corrosion in the steel at points where the coating is damaged, possibly resulting in perforation of the steel tubing. Best advice to Emgeeguy is change back to copper brake tubing or don't use the car on wet or salty roads. Regards, Jim -----Original Message----- From: Roger Furneaux [SMTP:roger.46tc@virgin.net] Sent: 17 April 2001 00:11 To: Emgeeguy@aol.com Cc: .T-ABCs Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDERS When I restored my TC, I bought new steel brake lines, and threw them in with the stuff I was having chrome plated, asking the plater to put a flash of copper on them. So they look original (copper), but are better and safer. Larry How is steel "better"? The bursting pressure of new copper pipe is far more than that needed to blast the cylinder rubbers out past the pistons! and if you are using hygroscopic mineral fliud then the corrosion problems are going to be a tad worrying - or did your plater coat the insides of the pipes... In reply to a previous question, the best way to change to Silicone is to install it in a perfectly dry braking system, and the only way to ensure that is use all new parts, which will cost a lot less than a new hood, or a paint job, or.... OK, I cheated slightly and still have the original wheel cylinders, but after a few years storage they developed a nice film of rust in the bores (which dried them out) which I honed away. all the rubbers are genuine Lockheed Girling, but many modern rubbers will swell up in silicone. ocTagonally Roger Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .