Sump Gaskets

Alan Moote

Sump Gaskets

Post by Alan Moote » Fri Mar 23, 2001 2:24 pm

I have two sets of sump gaskets from our friends at Moss and they are both different. You might say that one set is thin and one set is thick. Which works better or does it matter? Thanks, Alan Moote Oceanside, CA

Emgeeguy@aol.com

Re: Sump Gaskets

Post by Emgeeguy@aol.com » Fri Mar 23, 2001 5:46 pm

In a message dated 3/23/01 4:27:38 PM Central Standard Time, alanmoote@home.com writes:
You might say that one set is thin and one set is thick
OK. One set is thin and one set is thick. Or is it the other way 'round?

Alan Moote

Post by Alan Moote » Fri Mar 23, 2001 6:50 pm

At 08:46 PM 03/23/2001 -0500, you wrote:
In a message dated 3/23/01 4:27:38 PM Central Standard Time, alanmoote@home.com writes: You might say that one set is thin and one set is thick
OK. One set is thin and one set is thick. Or is it the other way 'round? Just what we need --- A Badger wannabe

Paul Huck

Post by Paul Huck » Fri Mar 23, 2001 7:05 pm

Only one of them is different. The other one is the same.
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] Emgeeguy@aol.com [b]To:[/b] alanmoote@home.com ; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, March 23, 2001 7:46 PM [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Sump Gaskets In a message dated 3/23/01 4:27:38 PM Central Standard Time, alanmoote@home.com writes: You might say that one set is thin and one set is thick
OK. One set is thin and one set is thick. Or is it the other way 'round? Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Paul Huck

Post by Paul Huck » Fri Mar 23, 2001 7:44 pm

How 'bout a second 'Bager wannabe' ? Only one of the gaskets is different. The other one is the same.
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] alanmoote@home.com [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, March 23, 2001 8:56 PM [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] Sump Gaskets At 08:46 PM 03/23/2001 -0500, you wrote: In a message dated 3/23/01 4:27:38 PM Central Standard Time, alanmoote@home.com writes: You might say that one set is thin and one set is thick
OK. One set is thin and one set is thick. Or is it the other way 'round? Just what we need --- A Badger wannabe Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

David and Joyce Edgar

Post by David and Joyce Edgar » Fri Mar 23, 2001 9:42 pm

What is your thicker gasket made of Alan? Cork or paper? Many, many years ago some suppliers made the sump gasket out of cork and was thicker. While cork may be fine for some cars the TC has a passage through the flange that the pump pulls oil through. Cork is not a good material under this condition and should be avoided there. I haven't seen a cork sump gasket in many years now though. If both are paper it may not make a difference if you are using the front replacement lip seal as the sealant used to install it will make up any differences. If you are using a split rope seal then I think I would lean toward the thinner gasket although the rope has enough crush that a fractionally thicker gasket would probably still be OK. I would additionally use a gasket sealant on the sump gasket. David Edgar, TC 5108 El Cajon, California At 2:30 PM -0800 3/23/01, Alan Moote wrote:
>I have two sets of sump gaskets from our friends at Moss and they are both >different. You might say that one set is thin and one set is thick. Which >works better or does it matter? > >Thanks, >Alan Moote >Oceanside, CA