Registration Plates

Monoxidemanor@aol.com

Registration Plates

Post by Monoxidemanor@aol.com » Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:43 pm

Dear Kimberites: We have what appears to be the very original registration plates for our 1937 TA. The plates are made of (what appears to be) thin pressed soft aluminum with individual white (plastic?) letters that are held in place by pegs, top and bottom, that go through holes in the plates. the registration number is BGB 540. We are missing the first B on one of the plates. Does anyone know if these are original how can we get them restored including replacing the missing B. Kindest regards, Alan & Victoria Campbell

Terry O'Brien

Re: Registration Plates

Post by Terry O'Brien » Thu Mar 22, 2001 6:50 am

Alan; check out www.completeautomobilist.co.uk They may have what you want. Terry Monoxidemanor@aol.com wrote:
> > Dear Kimberites: > > We have what appears to be the very original registration plates for our 1937 > TA. The plates are made of (what appears to be) thin pressed soft aluminum > with individual white (plastic?) letters that are held in place by pegs, top > and bottom, that go through holes in the plates. the registration number is > BGB 540. We are missing the first B on one of the plates. > > Does anyone know if these are original how can we get them restored including > replacing the missing B. > > Kindest regards, > > Alan & Victoria Campbell > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

CFritz7001@aol.com

Post by CFritz7001@aol.com » Thu Mar 22, 2001 9:44 am

Alan & Victoria, In the event you can't locate an "official" letter "B" for your plate, you might try this: Use the "B" you do have as a pattern to cut out a new letter, then simply glue it in place (instead of trying to fabricate pins with which to fasten it). Regards, Carl Fritz

C. Knight

Post by C. Knight » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:35 pm

> Monoxidemanor@aol.com wrote: > > > > Dear Kimberites: > > > > We have what appears to be the very original registration plates for our 1937 > > TA. The plates are made of (what appears to be) thin pressed soft aluminum > > with individual white (plastic?) letters that are held in place by pegs, top > > and bottom, that go through holes in the plates. the registration number is > > BGB 540. We are missing the first B on one of the plates. > > > > Does anyone know if these are original how can we get them restored including > > replacing the missing B. > >
UK registrations plates were supplied by the local dealer who registered the car not MG so strictly speaking there is no such thing as a standard original style. They were required to conformed to the UK legal requirement of character size and colour but materials varied. My 39 TA was pictured at Lands End Trial in 39 with the plastic number/letter type plate so I guess at least some dealers used that style. See the picture on the members gallery. New period plates should be available from Holden (www.holden.co.uk) Regards Cliff

Ray

registration plates

Post by Ray » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:24 pm

Hello UK folks! Where may I obtain the correct stamped plates for my car without registering it in the UK? The car is here in the States, and I just want a set of the original style plates pressed out. Best, Ray

Peter Cole

Re: registration plates

Post by Peter Cole » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:50 pm

Ray, The people who make the nicest plates (IMHO) are Tippers Vintage Plates. See their web site at tippersvintageplates.co.uk There are restrictions on buying plates now in the UK, which came in at the beginning of this year. Basically you have to prove ownership of registration number before you can have plates made. Contact them, the rules may be different for offshore customers. I'm not on the pay roll, but I do have their plates for my TC. They are excellent. Peter Cole.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray" Spook01@comcast.net> To: "mgtabc" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 8:24 PM Subject: [mg-tabc] registration plates > Hello UK folks! > > Where may I obtain the correct stamped plates for my car without registering > it in the UK? The car is here in the States, and I just want a set of the > original style plates pressed out. > > Best, > Ray > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

candahill@worldnet.att.net

Re: registration plates

Post by candahill@worldnet.att.net » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:10 pm

Ray, Try this link: http://www.triple-c.com/Page.cfm?Category2=License% 20Plates&InfoID=2441&Search= Regards, Charles Hill
> Hello UK folks! > > Where may I obtain the correct stamped plates for my car without registering > it in the UK? The car is here in the States, and I just want a set of the > original style plates pressed out. > > Best, > Ray > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Alan Webster

Re: Registration plates

Post by Alan Webster » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:56 am

Mike, In UK the registration number always stays with the car (unless some profiteering individual sells the number, a practice to be deplored) The number JV 5049 should be in 3.5" hign letters and is almost certainly the original UK registration number. Alan Webster Sutton Coldfield UK TA 3239
--- In mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Duvall wrote: > > I gather that a plate number assigned to a British Car stays with the > car, is this correct? > > I was sent a picture of my TA with the plate number JV 5049 in big > letters. It was imported into the US in the late seventies. Is this > likely an "original" number. > > Mike >

Alan Webster

Re: Registration plates

Post by Alan Webster » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:07 pm

Mike, Further to my last reply, my information is that JV 8059 was issued in Grimsby somewhere between November 1930 and December 1946 Alan Webster Sutton Coldfield UK TA 3239
--- In mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Duvall wrote: > > I gather that a plate number assigned to a British Car stays with the > car, is this correct? > > I was sent a picture of my TA with the plate number JV 5049 in big > letters. It was imported into the US in the late seventies. Is this > likely an "original" number. > > Mike >