A book

HANS HOLTMAN

A book

Post by HANS HOLTMAN » Wed Mar 21, 2001 2:09 am

To the English MG fans. Where can I buy ,in England, the book by Andrea Green " M.G.s On Patrol" ? Please, write me off list. Hans TC 1095

HANS HOLTMAN

A book

Post by HANS HOLTMAN » Sat Dec 22, 2001 1:30 pm

At present I am reading a very interesting book " MG from A to Z". It is written by Jonathan Wood and it is filled with a lot of MG history and MG facts. Actually it is more a dictionary than a book you read. Many times I have noted that, when Jean Cook(Cecil Kimber s daughter) have been asked in interviews on film and on video if not the 2 letters M G stand for Morris Garage(s). And in very strong terms she always says that MG stands for MG- and that s it!! On page 139 in this book there is a photo on an advertisement in the Oxford Times March 2, 1923 from the Morris Garages, Oxford you see photos af a Morris,a Humber and a Sunbeam. BUT--- around the edges of this advertisement there are placed 6 small octagon signs with an MG inside these octagons. It is the first time that I have seen the MG octagon being used that early. That s all. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you MG people. Hans TC 1095

Frank O_ The Mountain

Re: A book

Post by Frank O_ The Mountain » Sat Dec 22, 2001 1:55 pm

In a message dated 12/22/01 13:31:16 Pacific Standard Time, hholtman@get2net.dk writes: > I am also reading a new book: The MG File, by Erick Dynmock. Jean Kimber Cook spent 4 days at my house a few years ago....she was consistant in saying that M.G. stood for only M. G. On the other hand in this book and I have seen this else where, there is an advert which sez: Why MG (inside the octagon): out of compliment to Sir Willian R. Morris, Bt., we named our production the M.G. Sports, the letters being the initials of his original business undertaking, "The Morris Garages," from which has sprung that vast group of seperate enterprises including THE M. G. CAR COMPANY Pavlova Works, Abingdon-on Thames I suspect Kimber himself pinned this..... Terry

Mark McCombs

Re: A book

Post by Mark McCombs » Sat Dec 22, 2001 3:03 pm

I remember reading in an older Sacred Octagon when Jean made the statement about "M.G." I always figured she meant that it became an entity of its own and therefore was no longer Morris related. But I would think it certainly it started as such, didnt it? Otherwise, I would guess we would be driving a Kimber sports model, or something.. Regards Mark TC8126
----- Original Message ----- From: taterry@aol.com> To: hholtman@get2net.dk>; MG-TABC@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2001 4:55 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] A book > In a message dated 12/22/01 13:31:16 Pacific Standard Time, > hholtman@get2net.dk writes: > > been asked in interviews on film and on video if not the 2 letters M G stand > for Morris Garage(s). And in very strong terms she always says that MG stands > for MG- and that s it!! >> > > I am also reading a new book: The MG File, by Erick Dynmock. Jean Kimber > Cook spent 4 days at my house a few years ago....she was consistant in saying > that M.G. stood for only M. G. On the other hand in this book and I have > seen this else where, there is an advert which sez: Why MG (inside the > octagon): out of compliment to Sir Willian R. Morris, Bt., we named our > production the M.G. Sports, the letters being the initials of his original > business undertaking, "The Morris Garages," from which has sprung that vast > group of seperate enterprises including THE M. G. CAR COMPANY Pavlova Works, > Abingdon-on Thames > > I suspect Kimber himself pinned this..... > > Terry > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

C Sherriff

A book

Post by C Sherriff » Sun Dec 23, 2001 3:16 am

Message text written by "HANS HOLTMAN"
>
At present I am reading a very interesting book " MG from A to Z". It is written by Jonathan Wood and it is filled with a lot of MG history and MG facts. Actually it is more a dictionary than a book you read. Many times I have noted that, when Jean Cook(Cecil Kimber s daughter) have been asked in interviews on film and on video if not the 2 letters M G stand for Morris Garage(s). And in very strong terms she always says that MG stands for MG- and that s it!! On page 139 in this book there is a photo on an advertisement in the Oxford Times March 2, 1923 from the Morris Garages, Oxford you see photos af a Morris,a Humber and a Sunbeam. BUT--- around the edges of this advertisement there are placed 6 small octagon signs with an MG inside these octagons. It is the first time that I have seen the MG octagon being used that early. That s all. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you MG people. Hans TC 1095