Virus

Stan Kurzet

Virus

Post by Stan Kurzet » Mon Mar 05, 2001 11:09 am

Speaking of viruses, over a span of several weeks I have received the following piece of SPAM a number of times. Although I would use another four letter word starting with S, to characterize this email, according to my virus checker, it contains a virus in its attachment. ============================================================================= From: "Hahaha" hahaha@sexyfun.net> Subject: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story! Date: Saturday, February 10, 2001 2:24 PM Today, Snowhite was turning 18. The 7 Dwarfs always where very educated and polite with Snowhite. When they go out work at mornign, they promissed a *huge* surprise. Snowhite was anxious. Suddlently, the door open, and the Seven Dwarfs enter... ============================================================================= If you see the above message, DO NOT open the attachment. THIS IS NOT A HOAX. Stan Kurzet TC 2569

Chip Old

Re: Virus

Post by Chip Old » Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:07 pm

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Stan Kurzet wrote to MG TABC List:
> Speaking of viruses, over a span of several weeks I have received the > following piece of SPAM a number of times. Although I would use > another four letter word starting with S, to characterize this email, > according to my virus checker, it contains a virus in its attachment. > > ============================================================================= > > From: "Hahaha" hahaha@sexyfun.net> > [snip]
That isn't spam in the usual sense of the word. It's sent out by PCs infected by the "Hybris Worm" without the knowledge of the PCs' owners. See http://www.bcpl.net/news/news.20010205a.hybris for a brief explanation and links to sites with more info. -- Chip Old (Francis E. Old) E-Mail: fold@bcpl.net Manager, BCPL Network Services Voice: 410-887-6180 Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services FAX: 410-887-2091 320 York Road Towson, Maryland 21204 U.S.A.

Skip Kelsey

Post by Skip Kelsey » Mon Mar 05, 2001 1:01 pm

Stan: I have to agree with you. I have received this message about 8-10 times in the past two weeks. There is another that is "sexyvirgin.exe", and "joke.scr." My virus scan warned me and I deleted each time. Skip............................ At 11:09 AM 3/5/01, Stan Kurzet wrote:
>Speaking of viruses, over a span of several weeks I have received the >following piece of SPAM a number of times. Although I would use another >four letter word starting with S, to characterize this email, according to >my virus checker, it contains a virus in its attachment. > >============================================================================= > >From: "Hahaha" hahaha@sexyfun.net>hahaha@sexyfun.net> >Subject: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story! >Date: Saturday, February 10, 2001 2:24 PM > >Today, Snowhite was turning 18. The 7 Dwarfs always where very educated and >polite with Snowhite. When they go out work at mornign, they promissed a >*huge* surprise. Snowhite was anxious. Suddlently, the door open, and the >Seven >Dwarfs enter... > > >============================================================================= > > >If you see the above message, DO NOT open the attachment. > > >THIS IS NOT A HOAX. > > >Stan Kurzet >TC 2569 > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Mark McCombs

Post by Mark McCombs » Mon Mar 05, 2001 1:41 pm

As a rule, we should all use discretion about sending attached files. I opened an attached file from a member of another vintage list, who didn't really send it. It was, in fact, the MTX virus that was sent to everyone in his mailbox, by the virus itself..including the list. I opened it, as that very member was suppose to send the list some pictures. It killed my Hard drive, very painful indeed, as I work from this computer. Just a thought. Mark TC8126
----- Original Message ----- From: "Skip Kelsey" kelsey@shadetreemotors.com> To: "Stan Kurzet" skurzetfr@home.com>; "MG TABC List" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 4:08 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Virus > Stan: > > I have to agree with you. I have received this message about 8-10 times in > the past two weeks. There is another that is "sexyvirgin.exe", and > "joke.scr." My virus scan warned me and I deleted each time. > > Skip............................ > > > At 11:09 AM 3/5/01, Stan Kurzet wrote: > >Speaking of viruses, over a span of several weeks I have received the > >following piece of SPAM a number of times. Although I would use another > >four letter word starting with S, to characterize this email, according to > >my virus checker, it contains a virus in its attachment. > > > >=========================================================================== == > > > >From: "Hahaha" hahaha@sexyfun.net>hahaha@sexyfun.net> > >Subject: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story! > >Date: Saturday, February 10, 2001 2:24 PM > > > >Today, Snowhite was turning 18. The 7 Dwarfs always where very educated and > >polite with Snowhite. When they go out work at mornign, they promissed a > >*huge* surprise. Snowhite was anxious. Suddlently, the door open, and the > >Seven > >Dwarfs enter... > > > > > >=========================================================================== == > > > > > >If you see the above message, DO NOT open the attachment. > > > > > >THIS IS NOT A HOAX. > > > > > >Stan Kurzet > >TC 2569 > > > > > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the > >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service. > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

Paul Huck

Post by Paul Huck » Mon Mar 05, 2001 2:04 pm

We all need to use a virus scan of some type. My Norton system told me I had a virus from our list in early Dec. I panicked when it happened. Since then, I have seen my system notify me of 5-6 messages it said were infected. I isolated and deleted each one. Chip and I had a series of discussion off list. Chip is a expert in this area, and provides protection for a living. However, not knowing as much as he does, I want to stay away from any virus if I can. Much like a man trained in handling snakes, vs those of us who don't, 'jus' keep 'em away from me !' I respect Chips' expertise, but when my system tells me I have a virus, I don't want to take a chance. My be a hoax, but I don't want to take a chance. Perhaps Chip would explain how to keep safe from viruses ? Paul Huck
----- Original Message ----- From: Mark McCombs loadcel4@infinet.com> To: MG TABC List mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 3:40 PM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Virus > As a rule, we should all use discretion about sending attached files. > I opened an attached file from a member of another vintage list, who didn't > really send it. It was, in fact, the MTX virus that was sent to everyone in > his mailbox, by the virus itself..including the list. I opened it, as that > very member was suppose to send the list some pictures. It killed my Hard > drive, very painful indeed, as I work from this computer. Just a thought. > Mark TC8126 > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Skip Kelsey" kelsey@shadetreemotors.com> > To: "Stan Kurzet" skurzetfr@home.com>; "MG TABC List" > mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 4:08 PM > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Virus > > > > Stan: > > > > I have to agree with you. I have received this message about 8-10 times in > > the past two weeks. There is another that is "sexyvirgin.exe", and > > "joke.scr." My virus scan warned me and I deleted each time. > > > > Skip............................ > > > > > > At 11:09 AM 3/5/01, Stan Kurzet wrote: > > >Speaking of viruses, over a span of several weeks I have received the > > >following piece of SPAM a number of times. Although I would use another > > >four letter word starting with S, to characterize this email, according > to > > >my virus checker, it contains a virus in its attachment. > > > > > > >=========================================================================== > == > > > > > >From: "Hahaha" hahaha@sexyfun.net>hahaha@sexyfun.net> > > >Subject: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story! > > >Date: Saturday, February 10, 2001 2:24 PM > > > > > >Today, Snowhite was turning 18. The 7 Dwarfs always where very educated > and > > >polite with Snowhite. When they go out work at mornign, they promissed a > > >*huge* surprise. Snowhite was anxious. Suddlently, the door open, and the > > >Seven > > >Dwarfs enter... > > > > > > > > > >=========================================================================== > == > > > > > > > > >If you see the above message, DO NOT open the attachment. > > > > > > > > >THIS IS NOT A HOAX. > > > > > > > > >Stan Kurzet > > >TC 2569 > > > > > > > > > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the > > >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > >

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Mon Mar 05, 2001 8:32 pm

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Paul Huck wrote to MG TABC List and Mark McCombs:
> Chip is a expert in this area, and provides protection for a living.
No, I run a small (8500 customers) Internet service for a living. In the course of working with my customers I get a lot of virus questions, but I'm not a virus expert nor do I program or sell antivirus software.
> Perhaps Chip would explain how to keep safe from viruses ?
Okay, but only if we can end this thread soon and get back on topic. The only 100% sure way is to turn off your computer and pack it away in the attic. Obviously that's not a practical solution for most of us, so here's what I tell my customers: Protecting against viruses transmitted by e-mail is 99% common sense. Be very wary of any message containing a file attachment. If you are not expecting the attachment, or if it is from someone you don't know, delete it. Do not open it! If your mail program has an option to open file attachments automatically, make sure that option is turned off. Some versions of Outlook Express, for example, came out of the box with that option turned on by default. Hello Microsoft! That wasn't too bright! If You don't have an anti-virus program on your PC, get one. This is very important for any Internet-connected computer. The two most popular are Norton Antivirus and McAfee VirusScan, but there are others. If you already have anti-virus software installed, make sure its "virus description database" is up to date. The virus description database is what tells the anti-virus program what to look for when it scans for viruses, and how to eradicate any that it finds. New PC viruses are discovered "in the wild" almost every day, so anti-virus software publishers periodically issue updated versions of their databases. Most anti-virus programs have a built-in "update" function of some kind. Use it! Your anti-virus program cannot guard against recent viruses if it is using an outdated virus description database! If you don't know how to make your anti-virus program do an update, see the manual, or go to the publisher's Web site, or contact the publisher's Help Desk for assistance. In your Internet Explorer favorites list or your Netscape bookmarks list, be sure to include the following sites: F-Secure: http://www.F-Secure.com/virus-info/ McAffee: http://vil.mcafee.com/ Symantec: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ Use them to look up definitive information about viruses and virus hoaxes. -- Chip Old (Francis E. Old) E-Mail: fold@bcpl.net Manager, BCPL Network Services Voice: 410-887-6180 Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services FAX: 410-887-2091 320 York Road Towson, Maryland 21204 U.S.A.

Mark McCombs

virus

Post by Mark McCombs » Sun Jul 22, 2001 9:16 am

As I am sure everyone knows from Hughs warning, make sure NO ONE that may use your computer opens those nasy attachments that are sending themselves from Hugh. They keep coming, and it changes the name of the file and content every time it sends itself. I suppose that this is the same MTX virus that wiped me out last fall. I was waiting for pictures of a Norton, and wouldnt you know, that damn virus called itself " heres that info I promised".
Regards,
Mark TC8126

Gene Gillam

Re: virus

Post by Gene Gillam » Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:26 am

Mark, This was the W32/SirCam virus that Hugh was sending out. I know, I opened the attachment - and only after using McAfee to wipe it out and re-loading Windows 98 was I able to get back online. It's a bad one - I'll vouch for that. Gene Gillam Saucier, MS 1949 TC 7872
----- Original Message ----- [b]From:[/b] loadcel4@infinet.com [b]To:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Sunday, July 22, 2001 11:16 AM [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] virus As I am sure everyone knows from Hughs warning, make sure NO ONE that may use your computer opens those nasy attachments that are sending themselves from Hugh. They keep coming, and it changes the name of the file and content every time it sends itself. I suppose that this is the same MTX virus that wiped me out last fall. I was waiting for pictures of a Norton, and wouldnt you know, that damn virus called itself " heres that info I promised". Regards, Mark TC8126 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Ray

virus

Post by Ray » Mon Nov 26, 2001 7:12 am

If you receive a message from me with an attachment today, delete it immediately. It will contain the WW32 virus.
Best Regards, Ray

Bullwinkle

Virus

Post by Bullwinkle » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:39 pm

If anyone on this mailing list has the following address on their system. ctx_id_banking_fees_and_enrollment@qmanual.hlp> You have a virus. Blake