Fwd: MG TA

Post by Monoxidemanor@aol.com » Sat Mar 03, 2001 9:40 pm

Monoxidemanor@aol.com

Fwd: MG TA

Post by Monoxidemanor@aol.com » Sat Mar 03, 2001 9:45 pm

mgtampjm

MG TA

Post by mgtampjm » Tue May 13, 2003 7:58 am

Hi at long last I have changed my MPJM engine to MPJG 2691. It now has the triple valve springs and is so much better. It revs freely, rattles less and seems to have far more urge. Hopefully a complete success - but only time and miles will tell! Thanks everyone for your help regarding the clutch, engine removal and all the other questions i have asked over the past months. I can safely say I know an awful lot more about my car than I did before the engine swap. Cheers Mick

LuckyFloridaLin@aol.com

MG TA

Post by LuckyFloridaLin@aol.com » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:52 am

Dear Ray; My friend Ron called and said he wants to sell the TA. Externally and internally it looks like a museum piece. It runs well after we corrected the S.U.'s The two immediate faults we found:the Tranny leaks terribly and has to be corrected .Does that tranny take motor oil or does it use regular gear oil. I read some where,perhaps from you, that it uses motor oil? Fault #2 It does not handle worth a dam. Think Mack Truck. Obvious need for TLC on the front end and steering box. These items we can correct down here in Port Charlotte for a most reasonable price. If you or any one else has an interest, Scott and I can go over to his home in Punta Gorda and do a complete survey. As we discussed before it is a wee bit tight in the clutch brake area. I had to drive with my shoes off and so does he. But you said you become adjusted after a while. I truly do not see how and I have small size 8 clod hoppers. He is looking for around $35,000 and it is negotiable. Consider the time and cost factor in restoration and even finding one. Ron is getting pictures for me which I can post to interested indivduals. Tally Ho! Thom Collins Sitting on the beach at Mansota Key Water temp-83F degress--28.3C [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Geoff Broad

MG TA

Post by Geoff Broad » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:02 am

Good morning MGers

I have the opportunity to get a TA for total restoration. Having competed a TC a few years ago I belive that I could tackle a TA. Any advice on particulat things to watch out for / impossible parts to get / tricky assemblies?

Thanks

Geoff

Conan Murphy

Re: MG TA

Post by Conan Murphy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:26 am

Geoff,   Much of the TA is similar to the TC, just with a few small differences.  The Engine is the difficult bit.  It is frail, block usually cracked on the exhaust side, head can be cracked too but less likely, and certain parts are becoming very hard to find MG Octagon Car Club is one of the few sources. You don t say whether this car has the original-type MPJG engine, an XPAG replacement, or something else, eg. Morris MPJM (very similar externally). No matter TC or TA, a full restoration could easily end up costing you more than the car will eventually be worth.  But hey, we do it for the fun of it, don t we?! I would suggest you get someone knowledgeable to check it out before parting with dosh, and ask what spares are included.  Even if you don t need them you could sell them off later and recoup some of the expense.   Regards to all, Ian Linton TA3120 Lewes, East Sussex, UK     [b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, October 27, 2017 10:02 AM [b]Cc:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] RE:MG TA     Good morning MGers

I have the opportunity to get a TA for total restoration. Having competed a TC a few years ago I belive that I could tackle a TA. Any advice on particulat things to watch out for / impossible parts to get / tricky assemblies?

Thanks

Geoff

Norman Verona

Post by Norman Verona » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:41 am

Geoff,

My TC had been in a damp garage for 48 years and the total cost of renovation (including tools) was over 50,000.

To put that into perspective everything was overhauled, engine, gear box, diff, shock absorbers and all new brakes. The interior (except seats) was renewed and the body panels were repaired (holes soldered) and the car repainted by a bodyshop.

It now needs new seat covers as the leather has proven too dried out despite 3 months of daily application of saddle soap.

However we don t spend this money to make a profit, do we?

[b][i]Norman Verona[/i][/b]

11 Cherry Close, Royston, South Yorkshire S71 4LZ

Phone: 0044 (0)1226 728811

Mob: 0044 (0)741 9905 741

[b][i]Web: www.frenchblat.com[/i][/b]

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com] [b]On Behalf Of [/b]'TABC' tabc@talktalk.net [mg-tabc] [b]Sent:[/b] 27 October 2017 11:26 [b]To:[/b] Geoff Broad [b]Cc:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [mg-tabc] RE:MG TA

Geoff,

Much of the TA is similar to the TC, just with a few small differences.  The Engine is the difficult bit.  It is frail, block usually cracked on the exhaust side, head can be cracked too but less likely, and certain parts are becoming very hard to find MG Octagon Car Club is one of the few sources.

You don t say whether this car has the original-type MPJG engine, an XPAG replacement, or something else, eg. Morris MPJM (very similar externally).

No matter TC or TA, a full restoration could easily end up costing you more than the car will eventually be worth.  But hey, we do it for the fun of it, don t we?!

I would suggest you get someone knowledgeable to check it out before parting with dosh, and ask what spares are included.  Even if you don t need them you could sell them off later and recoup some of the expense.

Regards to all,

Ian Linton TA3120

Lewes, East Sussex, UK

[b]From:[/b] mg-tabc-noreply@yahoogroups.com

[b]Sent:[/b] Friday, October 27, 2017 10:02 AM

[b]Cc:[/b] mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com

[b]Subject:[/b] [mg-tabc] RE:MG TA

Good morning MGers

Thanks

Geoff

jan johnson

Post by jan johnson » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:08 pm

Which side of the Pond are you on; it makes a difference; one side can buy from

Octagon and one side can t! Jan Willi Garnaes Johnson

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Allan Chalmers

Post by Allan Chalmers » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:23 pm

I bought a TA that one person shipped to the colonies in 1970, then sold to another and then me.  In parts.  Most of which was crap.  If you are buying a car that didn't come with lots of new parts, don't pay much.  The body will be trash, the engine probably also  (find a nice XPAG or XPEG).  Make sure the rear spring stanchions aren't buggered.  Doug Pelton makes an excellent replacement reserve fuel switch.  Be sure to get one.
Good luck.
Allan Chalmers - TA with 1500 sleeved XPAG.