Slotted or Phillips

twilson@motionwear.net

Slotted or Phillips

Post by twilson@motionwear.net » Wed Feb 07, 2001 6:41 pm

Down to the picky details - as I sort out the TC I'm finding lots of phillips head screws used. They obviously are of recent vintage. It's my understanding that Abingdon used slotted screw heads on all the early T series. Anyone know details on this? Tom Wilson TC0272

Charles Hill

Re: Slotted or Phillips

Post by Charles Hill » Wed Feb 07, 2001 7:40 pm

Phillips (actually posidriv) screw did not start appearing on T cars until the TD came out. I know what you mean, though, I am constantly finding the wrong fasteners on my TC. Not only phillips screws but SAE nuts and bolts. I always try to replace them when I find them. Reduces the number of wrenches I need to use in working on the car - and the frustration of trying to match the right nut with the right bolt when dealing with a bunch of nuts and bolts of mixed standards. Regards, Charles Hill

CFritz7001@aol.com

Post by CFritz7001@aol.com » Wed Feb 07, 2001 9:14 pm

For what it's worth, "Phillips Head" fasteners pre-date WW2 by quite a few years. I don't recall when the design was patented, but it is very possible some of them COULD have been used on T-types Carl Fritz Gainesville, Florida

hamptons1@home.com

Post by hamptons1@home.com » Wed Feb 07, 2001 9:49 pm

Carl: FWIW I have a "new" and late 1949 example that is original and never been apart. I haven't made any significant progress in dismantling it as yet but so far I have yet to see a single specimen of a Phillips or Robertson(Canadian) head. I dont think they were ever used on TCs. Terry
--- In mg-tabc@y..., CFritz7001@a... wrote: > For what it's worth, "Phillips Head" fasteners pre-date WW2 by quite a few > years. I don't recall when the design was patented, but it is very possible > some of them COULD have been used on T-types > Carl Fritz > Gainesville, Florida

Brian Nickerson

Post by Brian Nickerson » Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:00 am

The story I heard about Phillips is that the Allies in WWII were looking for a type of screw that could be used in aircraft manufacture and where various size screws could be fastened with the same driver. The slotted type required workers to carry around various sized drivers. Two companies - Phillips and Reed & Prince (Worcester, Massachusetts, USA) - competed for having their design accepted. Phillips won out. Although Phillips may have had this type of screw around prior to WWII, it wasn't until and after the war that it was used in any significant quantities. If this story is true, it would be unlikely that pre-war T cars had Phillips screws. However, it may be that the guys at Abingdon had worked in the aircraft industry during the war, liked the Phillips screw and brought it into the factory for TCs and after. Brian NIckerson TC/9266 ---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: twilson@motionwear.net Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:45:54 -0500
>Down to the picky details - as I sort out the TC I'm finding lots of >phillips head screws used. They obviously are of recent vintage. It's my >understanding that Abingdon used slotted screw heads on all the early T >series. Anyone know details on this? > >Tom Wilson TC0272 > > > >

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Thu Feb 08, 2001 6:03 am

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, CFritz7001@aol.com wrote:
> For what it's worth, "Phillips Head" fasteners pre-date WW2 by quite a > few years. I don't recall when the design was patented, but it is > very possible some of them COULD have been used on T-types
Yes, the Phillips Head existed when our T-Types were made. However none were originally used on the TC or earlier models. A few appeared on the TD and TF. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net

Crystal Brenner

Post by Crystal Brenner » Thu Feb 08, 2001 9:05 am

If anyone knows when phillips were invented we would love to know for other historic reasons beyond the cars. We would agree that they were not original for T-ABC. Regards, John and Crystal TB#0398
----- Original Message ----- From: CFritz7001@aol.com> To: twilson@motionwear.net>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 12:14 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Slotted or Phillips > For what it's worth, "Phillips Head" fasteners pre-date WW2 by quite a few > years. I don't recall when the design was patented, but it is very possible > some of them COULD have been used on T-types > Carl Fritz > Gainesville, Florida > > >

DAI

Post by DAI » Thu Feb 08, 2001 9:21 am

Try: http://www.inventors.about.com/science/inventors/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Catenary/philscrw.htm DAI --- Crystal Brenner cbrenner01@snet.net> wrote: > If anyone knows when phillips were invented we would
> love to know for other > historic reasons beyond the cars. We would agree > that they were not original > for T-ABC. > Regards, > John and Crystal TB#0398 > ----- Original Message ----- > From: CFritz7001@aol.com> > To: twilson@motionwear.net>; > mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 12:14 AM > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Slotted or Phillips > > > > For what it's worth, "Phillips Head" fasteners > pre-date WW2 by quite a few > > years. I don't recall when the design was > patented, but it is very > possible > > some of them COULD have been used on T-types > > Carl Fritz > > Gainesville, Florida > > > > > > > > >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

C. Knight

Post by C. Knight » Thu Feb 08, 2001 1:18 pm

hamptons1@home.com wrote:
> > Carl: FWIW I have a "new" and late 1949 example that is original and > never been apart. I haven't made any significant progress in > dismantling it as yet but so far I have yet to see a single specimen > of a Phillips or Robertson(Canadian) head. I dont think they were ever > used on TCs. Terry
My 2 MG Y types - 1948 and 1949, both used Phillips cross slot screws almost exclusively holding the internal wooden trims in place. It looks as though cross head screws were used on the Y production line, but not on the TC line next to it. (there are a few period pictures showing the adjacent Y and TC lines at Abingdon). Regards Cliff

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:10 pm

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, C. Knight wrote to mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com:
> My 2 MG Y types - 1948 and 1949, both used Phillips cross slot screws > almost exclusively holding the internal wooden trims in place. It > looks as though cross head screws were used on the Y production line, > but not on the TC line next to it. (there are a few period pictures > showing the adjacent Y and TC lines at Abingdon).
The photos show TCs and Ys being *assembled* side by side. For both models the bodies were built elsewhere in the Nuffield empire and were shipped in partly trimmed condition to Abingdon for installation onto the chassis. I don't remember where the bodies were built, but I'm pretty sure the TC and Y bodies didn't come from the same plant. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net