Timing Cover Seal

Glenda Nelson

Timing Cover Seal

Post by Glenda Nelson » Wed Feb 07, 2001 1:28 am

Hi All
My XPAG engine is currently being assembled. Apparently there is an oil seal available which replaces the rope seal on the timing cover without machining of the cover being required.
Is this lip-type oil seal an improvement over the rope seal, and if so, would someone please supply the number of the seal and method of installation?
Regards
Ian Nelson, TC4195
Melbourne, Australia

Andreas Pichler

Re: Timing Cover Seal

Post by Andreas Pichler » Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:08 am

In my opinion its not an improvement, because the front pulley is made of aluminium alloy - so the surface is not hard enough, and the seal lip cuts into the pulley. Andreas

PMS GB Ltd

Post by PMS GB Ltd » Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:49 am

Message text written by INTERNET:pichler@mgcars.de
>In my opinion its not an improvement, because the front pulley is made
of aluminium alloy - so the surface is not hard enough, and the seal lip cuts into the pulley.

PMS GB Ltd

Post by PMS GB Ltd » Wed Feb 07, 2001 2:58 am

Message text written by PMS GB Ltd
>At the rear the leak is far more likely to be from the oilway blanking
screw of the Camshaft Bearing Core plug than the crankshaft seal!!!

Michael Card

Post by Michael Card » Wed Feb 07, 2001 3:06 am

Ian The seal is Chicago Rawhide brand, type CR 36x47x7. [Figures are dimensions in mm I assume.] There will be other manufacturers of equivalents. No machining required, just seal it into the groove using a suitable oil-resistant compound. Use the pulley to ensure that the seal is axially aligned correctly. Re comment by Andreas, I have never seen an alloy front crankshaft pulley, only steel cast ones. Mike Card, Surrey UK TC 8233 [and TC 9477 [u]still [/u]in pieces] PS Will be in Melbourne early next month.
----- Original Message ----- My XPAG engine is currently being assembled. Apparently there is an oil seal available which replaces the rope seal on the timing cover without machining of the cover being required. Is this lip-type oil seal an improvement over the rope seal, and if so, would someone please supply the number of the seal and method of installation? Regards Ian Nelson, TC4195 Melbourne, Australia

David Whittle

Post by David Whittle » Wed Feb 07, 2001 3:11 am

Clive Last year I could not spell 'Engineer', now I are one! (not original I know) Regards David
>>> PMS GB Ltd 100070.740@compuserve.com> 07/02/01 10:57:19 >>>
Message text written by PMS GB Ltd
>At the rear the leak is far more likely to be from the oilway blanking
screw of the Camshaft Bearing Core plug than the crankshaft seal!!!http://www.aeat.co.uk AEA Technology plc registered office 329 Harwell, Didcot, Oxfordshire OX11 0QJ. Registered in England and Wales, number 3095862.

Chip Old

Post by Chip Old » Wed Feb 07, 2001 5:12 am

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Andreas Pichler wrote:
> In my opinion its not an improvement, because the front pulley is made > of aluminium alloy - so the surface is not hard enough, and the seal > lip cuts into the pulley.
Andreas, The original pulley isn't aluminum, it's steel.. -- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net

Pty. Ltd

Timing Cover Seal

Post by Pty. Ltd » Wed Feb 07, 2001 5:17 am

Ian, I have used the new seals with mixed success. 1. Due to wear, it is often necessary to machine a sleeve for the seal surface of the front pulley. Any wear here will mean leaks from the new seal. 2. It is not easy to get the seal central to the crankshaft and difficult to keep it that way when you tighten the sump. This needs patience and care. Any error here and it will leak. The O/D of the seal is less than that of the circular slots in the sump and timing cover so you need to "float" the seal in silicone gasket compound and give it plenty of time to set after installation. 3. As far as I'm aware these front pulleys were never Aluminium like was suggested but if so, the sleeve will take care of that problem. 4. I use is readily available seal SKF part number CR 36 X 47 X 7 VivJ Cape Town

Andreas Pichler

Post by Andreas Pichler » Wed Feb 07, 2001 6:28 am

Okay, no aluminium...but anyway, the surface of the pulley is so soft that there will be a cut from the eal lip - have tried it and go for the "asbestos" string again. Andreas

joecurto@aol.com

Post by joecurto@aol.com » Wed Feb 07, 2001 7:26 am

Ian I am sure you will get many correct answers so here is mine, I am using the original rope seal and the conventional rear main and am using castrol syntec synthetic oil and have no leaks from the front and just a minor amt of sweat from the rear, and a dry side cover and valve cover. Joe Curto