Lubing leaf springs

David and Joyce Edgar

Lubing leaf springs

Post by David and Joyce Edgar » Thu Feb 01, 2001 9:15 pm

This thread on greasing every 500 miles got me to thinking about the leaf springs. I can see the rust marks between each of my leaves. Guess I have rust because I greased them 25 years ago and have gone through many a rain storm. Can a teflon be put between or maybe spray with a motorcycle chain lube to keep things working smoothly? Actually, I think I tried the motorcycle chain lube once but what a mess if I remember right. Can't imagine undoing the springs every 500 miles to lube. Any suggestions? David Edgar, TC 5108 La Mesa, California

PMS GB Ltd

Lubing leaf springs

Post by PMS GB Ltd » Fri Feb 02, 2001 12:09 am

Message text written by David and Joyce Edgar
>This thread on greasing every 500 miles got me to thinking about the
leaf springs. I can see the rust marks between each of my leaves. Guess I have rust because I greased them 25 years ago and have gone through many a rain storm. Can a teflon be put between or maybe spray with a motorcycle chain lube to keep things working smoothly? Actually, I think I tried the motorcycle chain lube once but what a mess if I remember right. Can't imagine undoing the springs every 500 miles to lube. Any suggestions?

Chip Old

Re: Lubing leaf springs

Post by Chip Old » Fri Feb 02, 2001 6:12 am

Motorcycle chain lube is what I have always used on springs that don't have rubber inserts. The advantage is that it sprays on thin, which helps it seep between the leaves, but it sets up thick to help it stay in place. Jack up the rear of the chassis to take the weight off the springs before spraying. Yes it's messy, but after a day or two just wipe off the springs with rags or paper towels. If you want to try inserts, dig through the magazines and catalogs that cater to hot rodding. Inserts made of teflon an other slippery materials used to be popular with that crowd, so I imagine tey still are. On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, David and Joyce Edgar wrote to T-ABC list:
> This thread on greasing every 500 miles got me to thinking about the > leaf springs. I can see the rust marks between each of my leaves. > Guess I have rust because I greased them 25 years ago and have gone > through many a rain storm. Can a teflon be put between or maybe spray > with a motorcycle chain lube to keep things working smoothly? > Actually, I think I tried the motorcycle chain lube once but what a > mess if I remember right. Can't imagine undoing the springs every 500 > miles to lube. Any suggestions? > > David Edgar, TC 5108 > La Mesa, California
-- Chip Old 1948 M.G. TC TC6710 XPAG7430 NEMGTR #2271 Cub Hill, Maryland 1962 Triumph TR4 CT3154LO CT3479E fold@bcpl.net

Ray McCrary

Post by Ray McCrary » Fri Feb 02, 2001 6:40 am

Clive is quite correct; I have used the spray motorcycle chain lube on a variety of cars over the years with great results. Use a piece of cardboard behind the spring as you spray to collect over spray! Some of these sprays have a combination of "space age" lubricants. Best, Ray McCrary "Speed is Life; of course Luck and Altitude are helpful, too."
----- Original Message ----- From: "PMS GB Ltd" 100070.740@compuserve.com> To: "David and Joyce Edgar" djedgar@pacbell.net> Cc: "T-ABC list" mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 2:09 AM Subject: [mg-tabc] Lubing leaf springs > Message text written by David and Joyce Edgar > >This thread on greasing every 500 miles got me to thinking about the > leaf springs. I can see the rust marks between each of my leaves. > Guess I have rust because I greased them 25 years ago and have gone > through many a rain storm. Can a teflon be put between or maybe > spray with a motorcycle chain lube to keep things working smoothly? > Actually, I think I tried the motorcycle chain lube once but what a > mess if I remember right. Can't imagine undoing the springs every > 500 miles to lube. Any suggestions? ================================================= > Greasing the springs makes a huge difference in handling and ride > comfort, as well as prolonging the trunnion life on TA/TB > > Those that remember my large posting on setting up the chassis to > get the T Type to steer properly will remember this !!! ??? > > Thin oil from a can run down the leaves is one method - but easiest > perhaps is the aerosols of thin oil with molybdenem and graphite > used for motorcycle > chains. > > Clive > > >

Frank O_ The Mountain

Post by Frank O_ The Mountain » Fri Feb 02, 2001 6:46 am

In a message dated 2/2/01 5:34:46 AM Pacific Standard Time, djedgar@pacbell.net writes: > David, Teflon will extrude, the hot rodders use mylar for this. In olden days (?), the leaves were pried apart and lubricated. There is even a special tool for this that you can find at jumbles sometimes....then the springs were wrapped with a water proof gutter tape called Denso in England. Next time you see my TA, check out the front springs. Terry

Zissel-Kreuztal@t-online.de

Post by Zissel-Kreuztal@t-online.de » Fri Feb 02, 2001 1:56 pm

Hi David, I grease my springs 8 Years ago with seawater proof bearing-grease and protected the lot with packaging cord (pre war style). After that I grease them from outside to hold the cord flexible and close small gaps. You have to grease the springs from outside 1 time per year. This procedure improve the handling, because the cord brings a additional damping effect! Teflon between the blades: In my opinion it will decrease the self damping effect and also the excellent handling. lozi (TC3762)

Zissel-Kreuztal@t-online.de

Post by Zissel-Kreuztal@t-online.de » Fri Feb 02, 2001 1:58 pm

Hi David, I grease my springs 8 Years ago with seawater proof bearing-grease and protected the lot with packaging cord (pre war style). After that I grease them from outside to hold the cord flexible and close small gaps. You have to grease the springs from outside 1 time per year. This procedure improve the handling, because the cord brings a additional damping effect! Teflon between the blades: In my opinion it will decrease the self damping effect and also the excellent handling. lozi (TC3762)

Gene Wescott

Post by Gene Wescott » Fri Feb 02, 2001 2:43 pm

----- Original Message ----- From: taterry@aol.com> To: djedgar@pacbell.net>; mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 5:45 AM Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Lubing leaf springs > In a message dated 2/2/01 5:34:46 AM Pacific Standard Time, > djedgar@pacbell.net writes: > > spray with a motorcycle chain lube to keep things working smoothly? > Actually, I think I tried the motorcycle chain lube once but what a > mess if I remember right. Can't imagine undoing the springs every > 500 miles to lube. Any suggestions? >> > > David, Teflon will extrude, the hot rodders use mylar for this. In olden > days (?), the leaves were pried apart and lubricated. There is even a > special tool for this that you can find at jumbles sometimes....then the > springs were wrapped with a water proof gutter tape called Denso in England. > Next time you see my TA, check out the front springs. > Terry When Mike Goodman overhauled my 1947 TC a couple of years ago we put strips of teflon between the spring leaves. We had to polish the spring elements which were rusty from years of non greasing regularly. The result was a great improvement in the ride, especially on rough roads and Los Angeles freeways. I don't know how mylar would be better. Gene

LuckyFloridaLin@aol.com

Post by LuckyFloridaLin@aol.com » Fri Feb 02, 2001 7:42 pm

Dear Terry; Note you have a TA. I'm bidding on one and wonder how they compare with the TC? Tally Ho ! Thom Collins PS Thanks for the great info.

Crowsail@aol.com

Post by Crowsail@aol.com » Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:04 am

Good Information! Where do you find Pre-War style packaging cord? Pat TC 5135