Rebuild Shocks

Carlyle Merritt

Rebuild Shocks

Post by Carlyle Merritt » Sat Jan 13, 2001 8:10 am

Who is a better rebuilder of shocks other than Apple.
I understand there are better rebuilders out there. I have a set of shocks
on the TA Tickford that I will need to have done in the next couple of months.
They are expensive to do rebuilds also. I have 8 done there in the past couple of years.
About 145.00 per shock plus freight.
Apple paid me only 50.00 each for 10 TC shock cores that were rebuildable - looks like I got took "A". I know - I sent them
quite a few and cleaned out a bunch of spares in my shop.
Carlyle Merritt

Terry O'Brien

Re: Rebuild Shocks

Post by Terry O'Brien » Sat Jan 13, 2001 9:03 am

Try Peter Caldwell at World Wide Auto in Madison WI Telephone 1-800 362-1025. I think they charge about $85 per shock.They are presently doing a spare set for my YT and I think that is what was quoted. Are the TA shocks exactly the same as TC? If not you should get some further advice on rebuilding them. My Y rear shocks look like a smaller version of a TC shock but there are important internal differences which caused WW and me some grief. After I got replacement bits from South Africa WW is now fishing them up. If you think that TC shocks are hard to find try looking for Y shocks. Terry
> Carlyle Merritt wrote: > > Who is a better rebuilder of shocks other than Apple. > I understand there are better rebuilders out there. I have a set of > shocks > on the TA Tickford that I will need to have done in the next couple of > months. > > They are expensive to do rebuilds also. I have 8 done there in the > past couple of years. > About 145.00 per shock plus freight. > > Apple paid me only 50.00 each for 10 TC shock cores that were > rebuildable - looks like I got took "A". I know - I sent them > quite a few and cleaned out a bunch of spares in my shop. > > Carlyle Merritt

stolzy40@aol.com

Post by stolzy40@aol.com » Sat Jan 13, 2001 9:51 am

I would suggest that anyone looking to have shocks rebuilt first contact Peter Caldwell at World Wide Auto Parts in Madison Wisconsin. Peter refurbishes or replaces all valving and pistons. The bodies are machined to take two back to back rotary seals. The shocks are cleaned, beadblasted and painted. The rebuild costs $65 per shox with an unconditional guarantee that they won't leak. Peter also replaces the links and bushings for $13.75 per bushing - a deal if you have ever tried to do them yourself. Peters address is: Peter Caldwell World Wide Auto Parts 2517 Seiferth Rd Madison, WI 53716 Phone: 800-362-1025 E-mail: nosimport@mailbag.com Web Address: http:/www.mailbag.com/users/nosimport BTW, I have no financial interest in this firm, I was just extremely pleased with the work and communication. Mark Stolzenburg

Diecuts@aol.com

Post by Diecuts@aol.com » Sat Jan 13, 2001 9:58 am

Hi Carlyle, I had apple rebuild my TA shocks several years ago. (1992) Took 2 months and $1000 for 4. I told them no rush. I did all the bushings, links etc, and primed and repainted to look decent once they came back. They work fine. Barry Walker had some reproductions available years ago but $450 or $550 each seemed steep if memory serves me right. Cheers, Lee Jacobsen, Dearborn,MI TA2969, TC780

Diecuts@aol.com

Post by Diecuts@aol.com » Sat Jan 13, 2001 10:07 am

Terry, Wish I knew that about YT shocks when I sold my YT 10 years ago with a spare set of NOS shocks for it in the back seat. I still have a rebuilt set of SU carbs from the YT with documentation from Jim Taylor (a rebuilder of SUs), in trade for a set of similar condition from a TC. (differences in the linkages etc.which I hate to modify to use on the TC if they are original to a YT and useful for someone in need.) Cheers, Lee Jacobsen, Dearborn, MI.

Nicola Parolin

Post by Nicola Parolin » Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:49 am

dear friends, a friend of mine (director of the italian MG register) rebuild the shock absorbers. he is very good in this work, and he rebuilt quite all the shok of mG friends in italy, A/B/C/TD/TC etc. if you want to contact him by fax at: +39.0444.323449. he hill quote for you. mgenjoy. nicola

Lange, Richard F

Post by Lange, Richard F » Fri Jan 19, 2001 6:25 am

Peter at World Wide Auto Parts has rebuilt shocks for me as well, and does an outstanding job. I recommend his work as well. Dick Lange
> Boeing Commercial Airplane Group > DCAC-MRM PROJECT SUPPORT, BUILD TEAM > M/S 6M-HR Phone : (425 ) 965-6789 Pager: (206) 416-3663 > Cell Phone (425 ) 941-0386 Home Phone (425) 481-3063 > > > > > > ---------- > From: stolzy40@aol.com[SMTP:stolzy40@aol.com] > Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2001 9:51 AM > To: mg-tabc@egroups.com > Cc: carlyle@merritt-computer.com > Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Rebuild Shocks > > I would suggest that anyone looking to have shocks rebuilt first contact > Peter Caldwell at World Wide Auto Parts in Madison Wisconsin. Peter > refurbishes or replaces all valving and pistons. The bodies are machined to > take two back to back rotary seals. The shocks are cleaned, beadblasted and > painted. The rebuild costs $65 per shox with an unconditional guarantee that > they won't leak. > Peter also replaces the links and bushings for $13.75 per bushing - a deal if > you have ever tried to do them yourself. > Peters address is: > Peter Caldwell > World Wide Auto Parts > 2517 Seiferth Rd > Madison, WI 53716 > Phone: 800-362-1025 > E-mail: nosimport@mailbag.com > Web Address: http:/www.mailbag.com/users/nosimport > BTW, I have no financial interest in this firm, I was just extremely pleased > with the work and communication. > Mark Stolzenburg > > >