carb conversion

DSN_KLR650
Norm Keller

carb conversion

Post by Norm Keller » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:00 am

FI is not necessarily self adjusting for altitude. A straight speed density system is less "smart" than a carb. It depends on how sophisticated is the system. Bike systems can be on the simpler side for a number or reasons.

slash5er

jetting with a supertrap

Post by slash5er » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Slowly re-assembling my '98 KLR and was about to repaint the stock silencer when I realized how darn heavy that anchor is. Also remembered I had an old SuperTrap silencer and center pipe which I had never installed because I heard they were really loud. Now thinking, maybe loud is better than heavy. If I use the aftermarket muffler, what's the recommended jetting change? Over the years I've done all the usual "mini-mods" to the carb and needle that the collective mind of the KLR cyber-world recommends. Thanks. JohnD

Ateam

jetting with a supertrap

Post by Ateam » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:52 pm

I just recently installed a FMF Q2 a friend sold me, never used.  I was skeptical of the exhaust and read that a better pipe really provides little value.  The first thing I noticed was the 18 pound OEM pipe/exhaust was mega heavy.  After installation the bike was louder for sure, but oh such a better sounding bike.  I was shocked how well the bike seemed to breath.  Performance was outstanding, running highway speed at 8000 feet, long strait gravel roads at 60 mph, slow mud and snow, everything the New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route could throw at my bike it ran so well.   The bike was lean after pipe installation but no jetting required.  Also, I lost the deceleration popping going downhill at elevation that my former exhaust seemed to display.  I would not say that my bike is significantly louder but when you twist the happy grip the bike just breathes and roars away.  YMMV but I am convinced to now install a better exhaust on my DRZ400.   Ateam     [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, April 01, 2016 2:07 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Jetting with a SuperTrap     Slowly re-assembling my '98 KLR and was about to repaint the stock silencer when I realized how darn heavy that anchor is. Also remembered I had an old SuperTrap silencer and center pipe which I had never installed because I heard they were really loud. Now thinking, maybe loud is better than heavy. If I use the aftermarket muffler, what's the recommended jetting change? Over the years I've done all the usual "mini-mods" to the carb and needle that the collective mind of the KLR cyber-world recommends. Thanks. JohnD

irnutme

jetting with a supertrap

Post by irnutme » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:43 am

Yhe good thing about a super trap is that they are "tunable" by adding or removing disks at the rear of the pipe. . If you remove disks it is quieter and closer to stock jetting. Add disks and it breaths better  but it gets louder. I'd put it on. 

irnutme

jetting with a supertrap

Post by irnutme » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:44 am

Super traps are tunable by adding or removing disks from the rear. I run several on my bikes, very dependable and light. Remove disks to get closer to stock jetting and to make it quieter. Add to open things up. 
I'd put it on.