'03 gas tank for sale

DSN_KLR650
Don Dodge

carb conversion

Post by Don Dodge » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:39 am

Just for your amusement, mates, I changed the carb on my KLR to a Mikuni VM38 last weekend. I used the carburetor kit from Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports in Moab. Everything went swimmingly, I have much better throttle response, and the bike even starts more easily than it did before. I just wish I could be out in Moab to ride the thing!
Don

Ron Haraseth

carb conversion

Post by Ron Haraseth » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:35 am

Don, glad to hear you like the Mikuni.  I no longer have either of my KLRs, but that was the best mod I ever did on either one.  The second one was on my spare bike and I swapped in the Mikuni just a week before a 1,300 mile trip with my son. It never bobbled once.   Ron   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, March 24, 2016 6:39 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion

Just for your amusement, mates, I changed the carb on my KLR to a Mikuni VM38 last weekend.  I used the carburetor kit from Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports in Moab.  Everything went swimmingly, I have much better throttle response, and the bike even starts more easily than it did before.  I just wish I could be out in Moab to ride the thing! Don

Fred Hink

carb conversion

Post by Fred Hink » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:56 am

Ron,   What kind of fuel mileage did you end up with with the Mikuni?   It seems there is more interest in what this carburetor can do on a KLR. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com     [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:29 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com ; ddodge42@... [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion    

Don, glad to hear you like the Mikuni.  I no longer have either of my KLRs, but that was the best mod I ever did on either one.  The second one was on my spare bike and I swapped in the Mikuni just a week before a 1,300 mile trip with my son. It never bobbled once.   Ron   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, March 24, 2016 6:39 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion

Just for your amusement, mates, I changed the carb on my KLR to a Mikuni VM38 last weekend.  I used the carburetor kit from Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports in Moab.  Everything went swimmingly, I have much better throttle response, and the bike even starts more easily than it did before.  I just wish I could be out in Moab to ride the thing! Don

rharaseth

carb conversion

Post by rharaseth » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:35 am

Fred,   I didn t notice any significant mileage change , slightly better, plus or minus 50 mpg.  That difference was based on the CVKs being modded with drilled slide, washer on the needle and opened idle mixture (around 2 turns).  I probably favored being a little rich on the jetting. That s the best part about the Mikuni. It s easy to access and play with the jetting to meet your own personal goals, be it easy performance or mileage. That and reliability/simplicity  Also, I ve always tended to use a fair amount of throttle .   I ve heard from a few who have mad the change (including Australia) and all have been pleased with the mod. I hope my blog report helped some.   Ron [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:56 AM [b]To:[/b] rharaseth@... ; DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com ; ddodge42@... [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion

Ron,   What kind of fuel mileage did you end up with with the Mikuni?   It seems there is more interest in what this carburetor can do on a KLR. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com     [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:29 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com ; ddodge42@... [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion    

DesertDatsuns

carb conversion

Post by DesertDatsuns » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:26 am

Interesting, I would have thought to swap to a flat slide like the FCR, and not another round slide. Although this is the old motorcycle pull-from-the-top style, and not vacuum. I will have to save this for future reference. Ryan Phoenix On 3/24/2016 5:39 AM, Don Dodge ddodge42@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:
Just for your amusement, mates, I changed the carb on my KLR to a Mikuni VM38 last weekend. I used the carburetor kit from Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports in Moab. Everything went swimmingly, I have much better throttle response, and the bike even starts more easily than it did before. I just wish I could be out in Moab to ride the thing! Don

DesertDatsuns

carb conversion

Post by DesertDatsuns » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:30 am

Here in AZ we don't have to worry about emissions anymore. Yeah, yeah, I know some of you other states already have this advantage. But, at least now we can make swaps without having to deal with that emissions junk anymore. That said, it seems that maybe 75% of carb problems are owner induced. Say by not draining the carb/tank during whatever your "winter" months are. Many times the owner feels a new carb will solve his issues. Just sayin' Ryan Phoenix On 3/24/2016 7:29 AM, rharaseth@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:
Fred, I didn t notice any significant mileage change , slightly better, plus or minus 50 mpg. That difference was based on the CVKs being modded with drilled slide, washer on the needle and opened idle mixture (around 2 turns). I probably favored being a little rich on the jetting. That s the best part about the Mikuni. It s easy to access and play with the jetting to meet your own personal goals, be it easy performance or mileage. That and reliability/simplicity Also, I ve always tended to use a fair amount of throttle . I ve heard from a few who have mad the change (including Australia) and all have been pleased with the mod. I hope my blog report helped some. Ron [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:56 AM [b]To:[/b] rharaseth@... ; DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com ; ddodge42@... [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion Ron, What kind of fuel mileage did you end up with with the Mikuni? It seems there is more interest in what this carburetor can do on a KLR. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:29 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com ; ddodge42@... [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion Don, glad to hear you like the Mikuni. I no longer have either of my KLRs, but that was the best mod I ever did on either one. The second one was on my spare bike and I swapped in the Mikuni just a week before a 1,300 mile trip with my son. It never bobbled once. Ron [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, March 24, 2016 6:39 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion Just for your amusement, mates, I changed the carb on my KLR to a Mikuni VM38 last weekend. I used the carburetor kit from Fred at Arrowhead Motorsports in Moab. Everything went swimmingly, I have much better throttle response, and the bike even starts more easily than it did before. I just wish I could be out in Moab to ride the thing! Don

Fred Hink

carb conversion

Post by Fred Hink » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Several problems with the FCR, firstly it is very expensive and most KLR owners are cheap.  (COUGH)  Secondly the KLR has a big starter right up next to the float bowl on the carburetor and the FCR with the accelerator pump is just too large to fit.  This pump feature isn t really needed and if you could find a FCR float bowl with out the accelerator that might be an interesting experiment.  I doubt you would see much or any performance gains with the FCR over the Mikuni.   About fuel mileage, it is all about how hard you twist the throttle and the jets you pick.  You can make most any carb so lean it will hardly run and so rich to waste gas.  It is up to you to pick the jets that match your riding style and to use the throttle accordingly.   Riding a motorcycle is all about fun.  It is not an economy vehicle but it is fun.  If you were on a MPG kick, I d suggest looking at a Civic or Prius.  The Mikuni most likely will not be any different than your stock Keihin carb for MPGs.  Like most improvements you tend to want to try it out when it is new and will most likely be twisting the throttle harder or longer than normal.  The advantage to the Mikuni is that there is very little rubber in this carb to deteriorate with the lovely fuel we have these days.  The Keihi CVK is a good street bike carb but is seriously lacking for any off road use.  Having a bike that preforms as it was intended and instantaneously is a pleasure (fun) to ride.  With the Mikuni you don t have to count to four before the power comes in, you can count to one and it s there.    Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Thursday, March 24, 2016 10:26 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion    

Interesting, I would have thought to swap to a flat slide like the FCR, and not another round slide. Although this is the old motorcycle pull-from-the-top style, and not vacuum. I will have to save this for future reference. Ryan Phoenix On 3/24/2016 5:39 AM, Don Dodge ddodge42@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:

Norm Keller

carb conversion

Post by Norm Keller » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:02 pm

Just wanting to close the loop of "I wonder". Has anyone made a quantitative comparison as to maximum power between the two carbs?

Fred Hink

carb conversion

Post by Fred Hink » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:35 pm

I sold a Mikuni carb kit and an Air/Fuel Ratio Monitor to jettin Jim who said he was going to run his KLR before and after on a dyno.  So far I have not heard any results.  I doubt there is going to be much difference and any difference should be the result of the jetting that has been chosen.  The Mikuni carb s advantage is not in making more total horsepower but the drivability of the bike and having more power down low in the power-band can be felt in your seat of the pants dyno. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, March 25, 2016 12:11 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion     Just wanting to close the loop of "I wonder". Has anyone made a quantitative comparison as to maximum power between the two carbs?

GMac

carb conversion

Post by GMac » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:51 pm

Agree.

With me it made the difference in snapping the throttle open, ie, going over rocks or logs in the trail. With the stock carb, there was a lag in the engine responding. With the mikuni, the lag is gone. My mileage hasn t changed after I got it jetted in. At first it was setup rich and I had to lean it out on the main and needle.

Greg McKinney CKCS Cavalier Rescue USA www.cavalierrescueusa.com

[u]tnspanielrescue@...[/u]

[b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] [b]Sent:[/b] Friday, March 25, 2016 2:36 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion

I sold a Mikuni carb kit and an Air/Fuel Ratio Monitor to jettin Jim who said he was going to run his KLR before and after on a dyno.  So far I have not heard any results.  I doubt there is going to be much difference and any difference should be the result of the jetting that has been chosen.  The Mikuni carb s advantage is not in making more total horsepower but the drivability of the bike and having more power down low in the power-band can be felt in your seat of the pants dyno.

Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com

[b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com

[b]Sent:[/b] Friday, March 25, 2016 12:11 PM

[b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com

[b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Re: Carb Conversion

Just wanting to close the loop of "I wonder". Has anyone made a quantitative comparison as to maximum power between the two carbs?