deer strike: klr:1 deer:0

DSN_KLR650
Brian Coats

rear shock

Post by Brian Coats » Tue Sep 26, 2000 11:06 am

Greetings, Went to adjust the Spring Preload on my A-7 while on a ride in Copper Canyon. The setting was in the number one position. The adjuster bolt turns (I was turning it in the right direction) and clicks but the setting stays the same. Feels like it is stripped. I have'nt taken the shock off the bike to look at it yet. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Can it be fixed? Thanks Brian Coats brcoats@...

Dave

rear shock

Post by Dave » Mon Mar 19, 2001 2:38 pm

Hi Everyone My stock rear shock is set at "I" for the damping, and 1 for the shock absorber position. By adjusting either or both of theses, Is it possible to make the rear end of the bike sit lower to the ground ? If so which one/ones, and to want setting should I place them on ? Many thanks Dave Salem OR

Dale Johnson

rear shock

Post by Dale Johnson » Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:30 pm

Ever Since my freeway spill my bike has felt a little ( ok a lot ) different. I finally checked it out last night and it looks like my rear shock is set to 1.. I don't think I have ever rode the bike with it like that feels mushy.. Well I tried to adjust it and I get nada.. So here comes the questions.. # 1 What aftermarket rear shocks are offered for the KLR and much do they run.. #2 How much is a stocker? Dale

Kurt Simpson

rear shock

Post by Kurt Simpson » Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:35 pm

> Ever Since my freeway spill my bike has felt a little ( ok a lot ) > different. I finally checked it out last night and it looks like my > rear shock is set to 1.. I don't think I have ever rode the bike with > it like that feels mushy.. Well I tried to adjust it and I get > nada.. So here comes the questions.. # 1 What aftermarket rear > shocks are offered for the KLR and much do they run.. #2 How much is > a stocker?
The most popular is the Larry Roeseler Progressive series in either the regular or shortened version. Price in the high 300 to 400's I think. Works will do a transplant. Ohlins makes a high end model which can set you back $600 or so...www.dual-star.com sells OEM shocks for under $200... Kurt

Stuart Mumford

rear shock

Post by Stuart Mumford » Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:23 pm

Hey Dale, I will sell you my used shock (9k miles) for $50. You can even use my Larin stand and tools to put it on. There is a 6 pack of Bud Light rental fee for the stand :-) Contact me off list. CA Stu A13 -----Original Message----- Message: 21 Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:29:55 -0000 From: "Dale Johnson" Subject: Rear Shock Ever Since my freeway spill my bike has felt a little ( ok a lot ) different. I finally checked it out last night and it looks like my rear shock is set to 1.. I don't think I have ever rode the bike with it like that feels mushy.. Well I tried to adjust it and I get nada.. So here comes the questions.. # 1 What aftermarket rear shocks are offered for the KLR and much do they run.. #2 How much is a stocker? Dale

Steve Green

rear shock

Post by Steve Green » Tue Aug 14, 2001 7:09 pm

I like my Larry Roesseler 520 series from Progessive. Cost me $395 from Competition Accessories but they made me wait 3 months. I ride the bike hard, and with this shock I no longer bottom out. Steve G
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Dale Johnson" wrote: > Ever Since my freeway spill my bike has felt a little ( ok a lot ) > different. I finally checked it out last night and it looks like my > rear shock is set to 1.. I don't think I have ever rode the bike with > it like that feels mushy.. Well I tried to adjust it and I get > nada.. So here comes the questions.. # 1 What aftermarket rear > shocks are offered for the KLR and much do they run.. #2 How much is > a stocker? > > Dale

fixerdave@hotmail.com

rear shock

Post by fixerdave@hotmail.com » Tue Aug 14, 2001 7:21 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Dale Johnson" wrote:
> Ever Since my freeway spill my bike has felt a little ( ok a lot ) > different. I finally checked it out last night and it looks like my > rear shock is set to 1.. I don't think I have ever rode the bike
with
> it like that feels mushy.. Well I tried to adjust it and I get > nada.. So here comes the questions.. # 1 What aftermarket rear > shocks are offered for the KLR and much do they run.. #2 How much is > a stocker? > > Dale
Do you mean that the preload adjustment has failed? Or that setting it to 5 still leaves you with a mushy ride? Don't forget there is a dampening adjustment (under the cover at the bottom of the shock) as well as the preload. Maybe it was changed?? Just a though before you spend the big bucks. David... A4, Victoria BC Canada

Dale Johnson

rear shock

Post by Dale Johnson » Tue Aug 14, 2001 7:36 pm

> Do you mean that the preload adjustment has failed? Or that setting
it
> to 5 still leaves you with a mushy ride? > > Don't forget there is a dampening adjustment (under the cover at
the
> --snip
It has failed, when i turn the adjustment bolt it clicks and nothing moves then gets real loose like it isn't threaded into anything

fixerdave@hotmail.com

rear shock

Post by fixerdave@hotmail.com » Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:54 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Dale Johnson" wrote:
> > > Do you mean that the preload adjustment has failed? Or that > ... > It has failed, when i turn the adjustment bolt it clicks and nothing > moves then gets real loose like it isn't threaded into anything
Well, you could go to a tool store and pick up a set of automotive spring compressors (about $15 cdn - should fit), clamp down the spring (carefully - make sure it won't slip 'cause a compressed spring holds a lot of energy - enough to really hurt you), pull out the bolt (will probably need cir-clip pliers for this), and see what's broke. A bike shop could probably do this for you if your averse to buying tools and such... If the adjustment assembly is buggered beyond repair, you might be able to permanently fix it in one spot for real cheep. In any event, it's probably a lot cheeper to repair than it is to replace -- unless you were pushing the original beyond it's capabilities anyway. ---> You hit hard enough to break the preload adjustment on your shock... and you can still ride?? David... A4 Victoria BC Canada p.s with your preload set to negative 3 or so, I'm not surprised your ride is mushy :) Oh, check the shock for a bent shaft - maybe it's bound up and that's why the bolt broke. This is easy to test if you've removed the spring. It will either slide in and out, or not.

Marc Illsley Clarke

rear shock

Post by Marc Illsley Clarke » Tue Aug 14, 2001 11:31 pm

Steve, Did you mean "420"? -- Marc, KLR650 A12, Loveland, Colorado, USA "Steve Green" wrote: __________
>I like my Larry Roesseler 520 series from Progessive. Cost me $395 >from Competition Accessories but they made me wait 3 months. >I ride the bike hard, and with this shock I no longer bottom out. > >Steve G