mexican klr adventure club event

DSN_KLR650
pwhatfourever@sbcglobal.net

swing arm maintenance

Post by pwhatfourever@sbcglobal.net » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:47 pm

I have mostly completed my first swing arm maintenance on my '06 KLR, with 16K miles. I suspect this was the first time it had ever had the swing arm service. I don't think this bike has seen much water either. I ordered a new Shinko 705 tire from Chapperal Motorsports for the rear and got a really fresh 2015 tire. I mounted it and thought what the heck, I may as well do the swing arm service while the wheel is off. I used the write up on the 650 KLR Marknet and have all of the seals and sleeves cleaned and bearings re-packed and am going back together, although I think I may have lost the middle spacer on my rear wheel... Glad I read about that. I'll have to order one if I don't find where it might have rolled off to. I was very glad I decided to do this as there was significant rust and corrosion on the bottom swing arm pivot bolt. I could tell when I turned the bolt that it was a little stuck. I turned it about half a turn and it loosened up, and thankfully I was able to tap it through a couple of inches pretty easily with a screwdriver then used a slide hammer on the bolt head to pull it out the rest of the way without incident.  Anyway, glad that's done. Thinking hard about adding the zerks, but would almost prefer to get another swingarm and bell-crank? so I could do that and have those units ready to go the next time. Time to change the brake fluid and new pads for the rear before I'm done. Paul

achesley43@ymail.com

swing arm maintenance

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:08 am

Might want to put some locktite or something on the main swingarm bolt and nut. I did this proceedure a month or so ago and just noticed the 14mm nut and washer were mia last week. I generally use a small dab of silicone seal but must of skipped that one. Oh well, have over a 1000 miles since did the job and only the gremblems know how long it's been missing. 

cycletip

swing arm maintenance

Post by cycletip » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:24 pm

Just did this as well and found the same corrosion and nasty OEM grease which was on the skimpy side.  Think I'll also take the extra step of adding bit of LocTite on the nut.  Better safe than sorry when it comes to most nuts on thumpers. 

Norm Keller

swing arm maintenance

Post by Norm Keller » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:34 am

IME, Loctite is a good idea in these kinds of locations because it helps to seal the threads from corrosion. The torque on those fasteners is high enough that they will not come loose without some other problem. Any chance that you missed torquing or used a non-hardened washer?

tomatocity

mexican klr adventure club event

Post by tomatocity » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:09 am

This would be fun but I went back to work to help a friend. Maybe next year.
On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 6:20 AM, Paul Streeter bigburlybaldbeardedbiker@... [DSN_KLR650] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> wrote: [u][/u] Just an fyi for you, I see that the KLR Adventure club in Mexico is holding an event in Guadalajara, Jalisco on Nov 28, 2015. I won't be able to attend, but I thought it would be a fun event to go to. http://revistamoto.com/wp_rm/?event=16792 Paul Streeter