nklr new platform lift

DSN_KLR650
jwflower53

nklr dr350 v drz400?

Post by jwflower53 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:50 pm

I've been through the 5 stages of grief (what are they again?) about my stolen A13.  Gonna try a lighter, dirt-ier bike (the KLR was not a good beginner's dirt bike, at least for me: too heavy mainly).  I've got it down to a 1999 DR350 and a 2005 DRZ.  I can manage condition and value of the specific bikes, but anyone got opinions on these two for a 62-yo beginning dirt rider?      Even if I don't buy another KLR, I will still be a frequent lurker and occasional contributor; you guys are very smart about more than KLRs, I've been very grateful for your help and glad to help in whatever small ways my expertise and experience allow. -JW  

SniperOne308

nklr dr350 v drz400?

Post by SniperOne308 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:14 pm

JW, Please elaborate/define what you mean by the term dirt bike. Dirt and gravel roads, two track roads, forest roads, fire breaks, singletrack, desert, mountains, forest, etc?  Do you plan to take day/weekend/longer trips with mixed on/off road riding? And where do you live/ride mostly so we understand the type of terrain. In some venues either bike will do you well, in other areas one model will excel over the other. Randy  Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone -------- Original message -------- From: "jwflower53@... [DSN_KLR650]" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Date: 08/22/2015 3:50 PM (GMT-07:00) To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] NKLR DR350 v DRZ400?   I've been through the 5 stages of grief (what are they again?) about my stolen A13.  Gonna try a lighter, dirt-ier bike (the KLR was not a good beginner's dirt bike, at least for me: too heavy mainly).  I've got it down to a 1999 DR350 and a 2005 DRZ.  I can manage condition and value of the specific bikes, but anyone got opinions on these two for a 62-yo beginning dirt rider?      Even if I don't buy another KLR, I will still be a frequent lurker and occasional contributor; you guys are very smart about more than KLRs, I've been very grateful for your help and glad to help in whatever small ways my expertise and experience allow. -JW  

Robert Waters

nklr dr350 v drz400?

Post by Robert Waters » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:07 pm

JW,
The DR-350 is a great bike.  If you put a 14 tooth sprocket on the front it will be capable of doing about any single track trail, provided it has proper tires.  I once had one that did not have electric start.  It was really had to start when hot. The one I have now has electric start and I love it.  It is a 6 speed where as the DRZ I'm pretty sure will have on 5 speeds. 
rw

achesley43@ymail.com

nklr dr350 v drz400?

Post by achesley43@ymail.com » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:17 am

I had two DR350SEs and one DRZ400SE. I loved them both and took them on trips to Arkansas a few times. Never did the ride up there on the DRZ but did do half the TAT from Eastern Ar to Central Ar on my last DR350SE, including riding 420 miles to the start from my home in SW Louisiana to Helena. Then run the TAT for two days before heavy rains and super muddy roads stopped my solo travel. The 4th day was a 522 mile day in mostly rain all the way home. Even had to do a bit of I 40 in the rain which was not fun none on that bike. I was 57 yr old at the time and carried full camping gear with me. But, when I got home and though about it, I bought my present A14 KLR to finished the rest of what I wanted to do on the TAT, From Central Ar to the Utah/Nev border. 
Depending on just what you want to ride as per roads, I'd probably op for the DRZ400. More power and better suspension than the DR350. But, if you get a super deal on a DR350, I'd not run from that. Reason I sold the DRZ and Kept the KLR was due to what I do and in my mid 60's at the time. The KLR was just more comfortable and  did all I wanted to do here in SW Louisiana. It's still my daily bike at 72 yrs old with my Bandit 1250S as the other woman. LOL

Robert Waters

nklr dr350 v drz400?

Post by Robert Waters » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:00 am

If one thinks the DR 350 is lacking in power, but still interested, he an get a "pumper carb" as I did.  I had it tuned for high elevation and a cut out air box. It purred like a kitten with plenty of power at over 12,000 feet.  Cost about $300.00.  Well worth it.
rw

jet_doctor2002

nklr dr350 v drz400?

Post by jet_doctor2002 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:13 am

JW,
I do not have a lot of DR350 experience, but I do have a lot of DRZ400 experience.  The DRZ has overall better performance than the DR and is a generation of development ahead of the DR.  Yoshimura developed the engine, which has been used in motorcycles and ATVs and is bulletproof.  It also shakes less, and is water cooled.  If there is a downside, it is that the DRZ uses coated valves.  When the coating wears off, the valves will need replacement.  The suspension on a DRZ is much better than the DR(even the SEs).  If you want to go the Racetech route, it can have an extremely smooth, controlled ride.  The DRZ has  a terrible seat.  Like the KLR, you are going to have to do something with it.  I have a Renazco seat, and with the Racetech suspension my bike is comfortable for day after day dirt riding.  I completed the Trans America Trail on mine.
There are 3 models of DRZ:  The E , S and SuperMoto .  Depending on what the laws are in your state, if you want street legality, and dirt wheels, the S  may be your only choice.  That is what I have.  The S has a CV carb, which can be rejetted to run well and deliver 70 MPG cruising on trails.  With a 4 gallon tank I squeaked 300 miles out of mine one time. 

I look at the DRZ as being a KLR lite.  The DRZ will run on the road all day, but not at 75 MPH--especially geared for trail riding.  That is what the extra 250cc gets you on a 650--another 5-10 MPH cruise. People knocked the DRZ for the way it was geared--not wide enough ratios (set up for racing).  I find the stock gearing fine for riding on Forest Service roads.  Hardcore trail riding is better with the E model gearing, but that limits the top speed.  Pure street riding use the SM gearing.  The DRZ will also not carry as much gear--the subframe is aluminum.

Practically, the DRZ was a cheap motorcycle to start with and the prices of used bikes reflect this.  There is not much difference in price between the DR and the DRZ, with a lot of the owners parting the bikes out rather than selling them whole.  I would get the DRZ--better bike, same price, newer.  I have a couple of 70+ friends who dualsport them and love them. 
Cheers,
Doug

doninwoodlands

nklr dr350 v drz400?

Post by doninwoodlands » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:16 am

The DR is all the good things that folks say it is
Two additional, it is air cooled and is a perfect partner for my KLR.
DR in Moab, KLR at home.
Don

jwflower53

nklr dr350 v drz400?

Post by jwflower53 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Randy, you're making me think (that's a good thing).  No more than 50 miles from home, no more than 2 nights out (one up, camping), mostly temperate weather (far north Cali coast) but sometimes in the 90s when we go inland.  Ten to 30 miles on the slab to get to the vast skein of dirt roads that crisscross the county.  Within ten miles of me are a practice area of paths through the sand dunes, and a small public quasi-motocross track (haven't seen it yet, have this from a riding buddy).
       Budget may control the decision in the end.  The local DRZ that's for sale is $3500 obo, the local DR350 is $2000 obo.  In our relatively isolated location, the pickings are slim unless one wants to travel 4+ hours.
Thanks for making me think.
-JW

jwflower53

nklr dr350 v drz400?

Post by jwflower53 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Robert, this one's got the magic starting button, and you're right, the DRZ is a 5-speed.

jwflower53

nklr dr350 v drz400?

Post by jwflower53 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:04 pm

achesley, the DR350 I'm considering is much less expensive than the DRZ I'm considering.  I'm sort of assuming its weak points can be remedied.
Thanks- JW