amendment: antigravity micro-start xp-1

DSN_KLR650
jwflower53

clutch lever play: how much is too much?

Post by jwflower53 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Spec is 2-3 mm at the perch pivot.  (1) I like more, maybe 8mm, so that the clutch engages while the lever s closer to the grip.  But the cable doesn t travel as far that way, so the plates don t separate as far.  (2) I also have a lengthened release lever (from Fred).  The longer lever decreases pull weight, but it doesn t rotate the shaft as far as the shorter stock lever does, so the shaft doesn t pull the lifter (rod) out as far, so again, reduced plate separation.

I get no drag with this setup.  The only time it doesn t release is the first shift into first on a cold morning; the longer I warm up, the less it does it.  But the mechanic insists I m wearing out the clutch doing this.  Any thoughts?

-JW      

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:03 am

With your bike warmed up, in gear with the motor off, are you able to push the bike easily by hand with the clutch pulled in?   If there is too much drag to push your bike, then you may need less free-play in your clutch cable. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com   [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Saturday, October 4, 2014 10:51 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Clutch lever play: How much is too much?                 Spec is 2-3 mm at the perch pivot.  (1) I like more, maybe 8mm, so that the clutch engages while the lever s closer to the grip.  But the cable doesn t travel as far that way, so the plates don t separate as far.  (2) I also have a lengthened release lever (from Fred).  The longer lever decreases pull weight, but it doesn t rotate the shaft as far as the shorter stock lever does, so the shaft doesn t pull the lifter (rod) out as far, so again, reduced plate separation.             I get no drag with this setup.  The only time it doesn t release is the first shift into first on a cold morning; the longer I warm up, the less it does it.  But the mechanic insists I m wearing out the clutch doing this.  Any thoughts?

-JW     

jwflower53

Post by jwflower53 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks Fred, that's another test that it passes just fine with my setup.  I think I'll stop fretting about it.... 

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:36 am

As long as your clutch is disengaged it doesn t make too much difference where your clutch lever is.  The only issue I can think of is that on some that still have the clutch safety switch active, this switch may not function if your clutch lever has excessive free-play and doesn t push on this switch enough. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com     [b]From:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Sent:[/b] Saturday, October 4, 2014 11:12 PM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] Re: [DSN_KLR650] Clutch lever play: How much is too much?     Thanks Fred, that's another test that it passes just fine with my setup.  I think I'll stop fretting about it....

Mike Huber

Post by Mike Huber » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:38 pm