widget verse apps & differance???? (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
cehighli@adams.edu

tires

Post by cehighli@adams.edu » Mon May 01, 2000 12:30 pm

Hope this doesn't require an NKLR as I usually lurk in the background and only come forward on occasion. I have purchased a set of MT70's for my A2, along with some heavy duty tubes (I'll find out what brand when I pick 'em up). I, too, am curious as to the best pressure for street would be, I ran 32psi on my Cheng Shin 858's without any obvious problems, that was recommended pressure stamped on the sidewalls. I certainly hope these will be satisfactory for the type of riding I do, 70% street. These appear to be less aggressive than the 858. I guess I'll soon find out. Craig Highline 88 KLR650A2

Jim Hyman

tires

Post by Jim Hyman » Mon May 01, 2000 11:28 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, cehighli@a... wrote:
> Hope this doesn't require an NKLR as I usually lurk in the > background and only come forward on occasion. I have purchased > a set of MT70's for my A2, along with some heavy duty tubes > (I'll find out what brand when I pick 'em up). I, too, am > curious as to the best pressure for street would be, I ran > 32psi on my Cheng Shin 858's without any obvious problems, that > was recommended pressure stamped on the sidewalls. I certainly > hope these will be satisfactory for the type of riding I do, 70% > street. These appear to be less aggressive than the 858. > I guess I'll soon find out. > > Craig Highline > 88 KLR650A2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Craig, In most cases, the tire pressure stamped on the tire's sidewall is the MAXIMUM allowed pressure. For road riding, the following procedure will yield the best safety & tire mileage: Start out with 22-24 psi for the front tire and 24-28 psi for the rear tire (measured "cold", not after a ride). Go for a 30 minute ride and immediately measure the tire pressure for both tires. If each tire's pressure is 2-4 psi higher, you're right on the money. If the pressure rises more than 4 psi, the tire is under- inflated and is building up excess heat. This is potentially unsafe! If the tire pressure rises less than 2psi, the tire is over-inflated, and this will greatly shorten the tread life of the tire. You'll need a good quality tire guage for these tests. Don't buy a $2-3 el cheapo model, plan on spending $6-8 for a good guage and $15-20 for a top of the line quality tool. Buying a good tool pays for itself in safety & savings for all your vehicles. Keep in mind that adding significantly more weight over the everyday weight will require somewhat higher tire pressure. You will have to adjust the 'normal' tire pressure depending on the time of year (summer vs winter, etc). Hope this helps. Professor '95 KLR650 A9 Federal Way, Wa [USA]

jzink@pacbell.net

tires

Post by jzink@pacbell.net » Fri May 05, 2000 4:59 pm

I just wore out my first rear tire on my KLR650. Any suggestions for a tire that will have some longevity on the street but still do a decent job in the dirt?

Skip Faulkner

tires

Post by Skip Faulkner » Mon May 22, 2000 11:34 pm

Has anyone ever tried King tires? Saw some today and they don`t look to bad but I don`t know anything about them. I checked the archives and gave up. Skip

JSherlockHolmes@aol.com

tires

Post by JSherlockHolmes@aol.com » Wed May 24, 2000 9:39 pm

Hey gang, I've been following the list for some time concerning tires, and I have looked at the archives somewhat, but I still have some curiosity concerning the type of tire I would like to find, if it exists that is. I would like to find a tire that allows extremely brisk street riding (in the twisties) as well as providing decent off road traction. I spend more time on the road, in the back country, than I do in the dirt. Yet, when I do go in the dirt it is usually a middle grade or lower forest type of trail, preferably with water crossings and medium sized hills. The problem is that I usually find these trails while riding on the road, then I explore the trail, and then head home on the road again. Another dilemma, is that I like to play games with sport-bikers, and myself. I have been know to drag/scrap the pegs or outside of my boots on plenty of occasions. (The KLR makes a better sport bike than many people know) My question is, are there any tires out there that can truly meet my desires, or do I need two KLR's? One to find the trails, then another to go back and ride them ;-} As we all know, the stock tires are pretty good on the street, actually stick pretty good, but they stink something bad in the dirt. I know I am probably asking the impossible, with the laws of physics and all, but perhaps someone can get me close. Appreciate the help. Thanks, and keep the shiny side up. Jim Sherlock

Peter Dahlheimer, MD

tires

Post by Peter Dahlheimer, MD » Wed Sep 27, 2000 1:14 pm

oops. sorry, with regard to the post on tires, obviously the mt21's are pirelli's and not dunlop's.... _pete

mwbailey@att.net

tires

Post by mwbailey@att.net » Thu Nov 02, 2000 3:55 pm

Rev. I've run Metzler ME88's on the back and lazer 33's on the front on two KLRS. they are a street tire but will do just fine on a fire road or two.I can almost scrape the foot pegs in a good turn. You should get about 10 to 15K miles on them with the light KLR.PS you should list the Four Stroke Single National Owners Club on your links list. I've been a member since I got my first KLR in 1988

LPetty4585@aol.com

tires

Post by LPetty4585@aol.com » Sat Nov 18, 2000 6:13 am

Well, I'll add my . 02 to the tire thread, started out with MT70's liked the tires went to more aggressive Dunlop D606, great offroad wears fast on road, rubs the chain guard, K139 front, terrible on and offroad, the MT70 front was better. The Pirelli MT21 are great tires, started chunking on me on heavy rock climbs though. Finally went back to stock tires, found that I drove 3-400 miles on trips to do 50-100 miles offroad and the compromise had to go to the dirt section. The stocks are quieter feel good and are cheap if you use takeoffs from DualStar. Larry

k650dsn@aol.com

tires

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Sat Nov 18, 2000 9:10 am

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, LPetty4585@a... wrote:
> Well, I'll add my . 02 to the tire thread, started out with MT70's
liked the
> tires went to more aggressive Dunlop D606, great offroad wears fast
on road,
> rubs the chain guard, > K139 front, terrible on and offroad
Huh? My D606 doesn't rub anything on the rear. K139 terrible offroad??? On road is leaves much to be desired and in the rain the K139,D606 combination is suicidal, but offroad there is nothing better that is DOT legal. I beg to differ. Gino

Mariola Cichon

tires

Post by Mariola Cichon » Sun Nov 26, 2000 9:29 am

Hello ladies and gentleman Good morning, it Sunday, kind of ugly outside. I want to ask you one more big favor. Please give me your opinion on tires. what works for you on trips that are both pavement and dirt? and how long do they last (I mean tires ;-)   thanks a lot,for all the answers I got so far and have a good day,   Mariola