carbs & corn fuel residue.

DSN_KLR650
Mark Wilson

speedo question

Post by Mark Wilson » Tue May 30, 2000 12:03 pm

A few weeks ago somebody mentioned using a bicycle speedo on their KLR. What kind of speedo was that? I have a Velo 2 Cateye on my pedal mnt bike, but it wont work on the KLR because the wire isnt long enough. And I have to have the pickup thing real close to the magnet for it to work. I dont think it would work on the KLR even if I made the wire longer. Anybody know of a cheap bike computer that will work on a KLR?? TIA Mark Wilson http://www.geocities.com/motormark64/ http://www.angelfire.com/mo/motormark/ KLR-650 A-13 "warthogg" XR250R "superfly" Stone Mountain, Ga ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jim Hyman

speedo question

Post by Jim Hyman » Tue May 30, 2000 12:33 pm

Mark, It appears that a wireless bicycle computer is the way to go for motorcycles, due to the short wire length used by bicycles. Unfortunately, the wireless units sell for $60-$80 [USS$] instead of $20-$30. I don't know if there would be a problem in extending the wires by splicing. I saw the Sigma Sport 1000 computer (wire type model) on a TransAlp in the Seattle Area. The rider has had the computer on his TA for several years with no problems. Professor A9 Federal Way, Wa. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ --- "Mark Wilson" wrote:
> A few weeks ago somebody mentioned using a bicycle speedo
on their KLR. What kind of speedo was that? I have a Velo 2 Cateye on my pedal mnt bike, but it wont work on the KLR because the wire isnt long enough. And I have to have the pickup thing real close to the magnet for it to work. I dont think it would work on the KLR even if I made the wire longer. Anybody know of a cheap bike computer that will work on a KLR??

clint750@netzero.net

speedo question

Post by clint750@netzero.net » Tue May 30, 2000 2:03 pm

I've run Avocet 35's and 45's on all my bikes for years. $40-$50. Accurate to less than one MPH up to 400 MPH. Waterproof. Cheap hearing aid batteries. You can get a long wire kit and an even longer rear wheel sender kit (which you mount to MC front wheel). I have a 35 with rear wheel sender kit mounted on my '00 KLR. I also use one as a tach on one of my bevel-drive Ducatis. avocet.com Clint

Ken Cyr

speedo question

Post by Ken Cyr » Tue May 30, 2000 5:29 pm

The sport touring crowd has been using Sigma bike computers for years. The newest model made for mountain bikes with the rear wheel kit is the hot ticket. Many get a more powerful rare earth magnet from Radio Shack to replace the weak sister that comes with the Sigma. I bought mine here: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.html?SKU=4973&Store=Bike (that whole line is the URL if it line wraps) I've had a Sigma 800 on my previous CBR1100xx for a couple years and it's been tested up to (ahem) 162 mph. It displays max and avg and current speed along with distance readings. Seems the wireless units aren't as accurate at highway speeds. -Ken '99 CBR1100XX '00 KLR650 "Jim Hyman" asked:
> >Mark, >It appears that a wireless bicycle computer is the
way
>to go for motorcycles, due to the short wire length >used by bicycles. Unfortunately, the wireless units >sell for $60-$80 [USS$] instead of $20-$30. >I don't know if there would be a problem in extending >the wires by splicing. I saw the Sigma Sport 1000 >computer (wire type model) on a TransAlp in the
Seattle Area.
>The rider has had the computer on his TA for several >years with no problems. > >Professor A9 Federal Way, Wa.
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/

ronnie lyons

speedo question

Post by ronnie lyons » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:11 pm

Have a Canadian KLR with metric speedo, and need to replace it with an American speedo. Who has the cheapest speedo's, and does anyone on the list have need for a metric speedo? Has about 2400 US miles on it. Ronnie Lyons Meridian, Idaho --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Dave Watkins

speedo question

Post by Dave Watkins » Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:55 pm

From The Great White North, As I listen to the heavy snowfall warning my mind wanders aimlessly to the days when Canada exited the dark ages and adopted the metric system. I wonder if you can get away with adding stickers on to the original speedo. I now I has to do that when the metric thing first hit here and I had. What about pulling the gage apart scraping off the old numbers and adding new ones? Funny, in all my years I've never had a vehicle safety inspected...... Anyway, we now return to our usual weather warning. Text Forecast from Environment Canada Calgary: Issued 4.00 PM MDT Friday 25 April 2003 Tonight .. Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Wind light. Low plus 2. Saturday .. Rain changing to snow in the morning. Snow heavy at times. Snowfall amounts 10 to 20 cm. Wind increasing to north 40 gusting 60 km/h. Temperature falling to zero. Sunday .. Periods of rain. Low plus 1. High 6. Monday .. A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 2. High 11. Tuesday .. A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 1. High 12. Normals for the period .. Low zero. High 13. Funny I don't see crap listed here......
----- Original Message ----- From: "ronnie lyons" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 8:11 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Speedo question > > Have a Canadian KLR with metric speedo, and need to replace it with an American speedo. Who has the cheapest speedo's, and does anyone on the list have need for a metric speedo? Has about 2400 US miles on it. > > Ronnie Lyons > > Meridian, Idaho > > > --------------------------------- > Do you Yahoo!? > The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Judson D. Jones

speedo question

Post by Judson D. Jones » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:29 pm

Sigma bicycle speedo, about 25 bucks. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, ronnie lyons wrote:
> > Have a Canadian KLR with metric speedo, and need to
replace it with an American speedo. Who has the cheapest speedo's, and does anyone on the list have need for a metric speedo? Has about 2400 US miles on it.
> > Ronnie Lyons > > Meridian, Idaho > > > --------------------------------- > Do you Yahoo!? > The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

libertyeagle

speedo question

Post by libertyeagle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:56 am

Hi, Every year or so I lose either a Speedo Cable or a Speedometer Head, wondering if you can give me any idea on what happened this time. See, the cable snapped while running about 75 on the freeway. I replaced it, and nothing, no noise... no needle movement... and the new cable is apparently functioning fine. Any ideas? Or do I need another Speedo head or ??? Michael

Desert Datsuns

speedo question

Post by Desert Datsuns » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:39 pm

If you're replacing the speedo cable/head once a year, there is something else wrong with the bike. I'd look for some sharp bends or pinch points somewhere. The cable doesn't have far to go, and it's a relatively straight shot up to the instrument cluster, so there aren't a lot of places it can get bound up though. I've never heard of this being a common issue with the KLR's. Ryan Newman Phoenix, AZ libertyeagle@... [DSN_KLR650] wrote:
> > > Hi, > > Every year or so I lose either a Speedo Cable or a Speedometer Head, > wondering if you can give me any idea on what happened this time. See, > the cable snapped while running about 75 on the freeway. I replaced it, > and nothing, no noise... no needle movement... and the new cable is > apparently functioning fine. Any ideas? Or do I need another Speedo head > or ??? > > Michael > > > > > No virus found in this message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com http://www.avg.com> > Version: 2012.0.2247 / Virus Database: 3955/7428 - Release Date: 07/27/14 >

Norm Keller

speedo question

Post by Norm Keller » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:35 am

#ygrps-yiv-210975375 blockquote.ygrps-yiv-210975375cite {margin-left:5px;margin-right:0px;padding-left:10px;padding-right:0px;border-left:1px solid #cccccc;} #ygrps-yiv-210975375 blockquote.ygrps-yiv-210975375cite2 {margin-left:5px;margin-right:0px;padding-left:10px;padding-right:0px;border-left:1px solid #cccccc;margin-top:3px;padding-top:0px;} #ygrps-yiv-210975375 .ygrps-yiv-210975375plain pre, #ygrps-yiv-210975375 .ygrps-yiv-210975375plain tt {font-family:monospace;font-size:100%;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;} #ygrps-yiv-210975375 {font-family:Tahoma;font-size:12pt;} #ygrps-yiv-210975375 .ygrps-yiv-210975375plain pre, #ygrps-yiv-210975375 .ygrps-yiv-210975375plain tt {font-family:Tahoma;font-size:12pt;} +1 on what Ryan said.   Any chance that you have the drive hub rotated out of position?   Its stop should place the hub behind the stop on the fork. I've seen several hubs which were rotated. IME, another pair of eyes may pick up what you're overlooking.   Not being critical, simply trying to convey that we often don't see the obvious and see only the "photo" we already have in our head. Someone else comes along... usually when the event will be reported in an embarrassing way. ;-)   If you can link a photo of the hub orientation, someone may see misalignment.   Did you replace only the inner cable of the complete cable & housing assembly? It may be that there's a misalignment issue in the housing (jacket) which is side loading the cable.   Of course, anyone reading this has already wondered why I didn't ask the obvious... (forehead smack)   What failed with regards the old cables and speedo heads? Did the cables break or unwind? Near top, bottom?   What went wrong with the speedo heads?  Needle stop sweeping, goes to full sweep? Needle stops working but odometer still works?   If you're not too far from British Columbia's Fraser Valley, I'd have a look.   Norm