rim locks? nklr

DSN_KLR650
Riley Harlton

rim locks?

Post by Riley Harlton » Fri Nov 09, 2001 1:12 pm

I've been doing a lot more low pressure riding lately. Love how it improves traction. I'm running 18 in the stock front and 15 in the Trailwing on the rear. No problems so far. Am I pushing my luck or not? Can I run lower pressures? Riley A15 Montreal

BCSavWill@cs.com

rim locks?

Post by BCSavWill@cs.com » Fri Nov 09, 2001 1:50 pm

I have been as low as 12 front and back, in mud with no problems, any lower and rim locks come into play. My front MT 44 works in all conditions at 14 psi and a min of 21 on the street I am using a Metzler MCE rear on the KLX at 12/15 psi mud/inter but makes it head shake more. Brian KLR A14 KLX C1 TE 410E Honolulu, HI [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Stu

rim locks?

Post by Stu » Fri Nov 09, 2001 5:29 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., BCSavWill@c... wrote:
> I have been as low as 12 front and back, in mud with no problems,
any lower
> and rim locks come into play.
Not to mention "pinch" flats. I never go less than 15 - 18 psi and can see no reason to. With a big heavy bike and a big heavy hunk of strapping stud (me) on the KLR, I reckon you'd be flattening tires at lower psi. CA Stu

Zack Mully

rim locks?

Post by Zack Mully » Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:43 am

Stu- I would disagree... It depends on the sidewall of the tire that you're running. I would not go below 15psi on a Kenda K270 (especially in the front) but on my Gripsters I went well below 5 psi w/o any flats. The sidewalls on the gripsters are much stiffer and thicker than the Kenda's and I don't have any reservations about running them that low (sometimes you need to when it gets hairy on those tires). Just look at the run-flat tires, most incorporate a super stiff reinforced sidewall to support the car and prevent rim damage. Though not exactly analagous to our situation, I think it does illustrate the role that sidewall stiffness/toughness plays in preventing flats. Zack
On Fri, 2001-11-09 at 18:29, Stu wrote: > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., BCSavWill@c... wrote: > > I have been as low as 12 front and back, in mud with no problems, > any lower > > and rim locks come into play. > > > Not to mention "pinch" flats. > I never go less than 15 - 18 psi and can see no reason to. With a big > heavy bike and a big heavy hunk of strapping stud (me) on the KLR, I > reckon you'd be flattening tires at lower psi. > > CA Stu > > >

guymanbro@excite.com

rim locks?

Post by guymanbro@excite.com » Sat Nov 17, 2001 2:20 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., BCSavWill@c... wrote:
> I have been as low as 12 front and back, in mud with no problems,
any lower and rim locks come into play. I've run as low as 10psi measured with a shitty guage so it may have been lower. Didn't use rim-locks didn't have a problem. Not saying you couldn't but I didn't. A pretty good enduro rider (AA class for those who care) I know says the other trick is to take the nut off of the valve stem so if the tire does spin on the rim, it doesn't necessarily have to be catastrophic to your tube or to your day's riding pleasure. dat brooklyn bum

BCSavWill@cs.com

rim locks?

Post by BCSavWill@cs.com » Sat Nov 17, 2001 2:46 pm

Hi, Thanks, another tip that helps too is copiouse amounts of baby powder on the tube and tire when replaced. Brian KLR A14 KLX C1 TE 410E Honolulu, HI [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

ron criswell

rim locks?

Post by ron criswell » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:40 am

Sent from my iPad I need to put a tire on my old Yamaha IT and it has rim locks. What's the drill on installing the tire without pinching the tube with rim locks? Got the IT running after sitting up for 8 or so years. Yee haw 2 strokes rule. Ring ding ding. Criswell

mark ward

rim locks?

Post by mark ward » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:27 am

YOUTUBE Some of the Pro racing, etc tire companies have great YOUTUBE Videos.
[b]From:[/b] Ron Criswell [b]To:[/b] DSN DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:40 AM [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Rim locks?   Sent from my iPad I need to put a tire on my old Yamaha IT and it has rim locks. What's the drill on installing the tire without pinching the tube with rim locks? Got the IT running after sitting up for 8 or so years. Yee haw 2 strokes rule. Ring ding ding. Criswell

Fred Hink

rim locks?

Post by Fred Hink » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:36 am

How many rim locks do you have in the wheel?  Changing a tire with one rim lock is easy, two rim locks presents other problems but can be done.  I usually start and end at the valve stem to install a tire.  I treat a tire change with a rim lock included the same way.  You should check your rim tape anytime you have a tire off but pay attention to where the rim lock was to see that the rim tape hasn t damaged the rim tape.  Watch that the tire bead goes under the rim lock and not over the top.  That happens and makes seating the bead impossible or very difficult.  You also need to watch that the tube isn t under the rim lock so it doesn t get pinched when you tighten down the rim lock.  Once the tire is installed, I always inflate the tube to seat the bead, then I deflate the tube to relax the tube and then re-inflate it again.  I tighten the rim lock and snug the nut on the valve stem after I check the air pressure.  You can install the washer and nut or nuts on the tube how you like and they will probably work.  The order that most new tubes come from the factory is: tube, cupped washer, first nut, rim, and last second nut if you have one.  If you want too use only one nut, it can go either inside or outside.  Honda and some other dirt bikes use a large hole in the rim to allow movement of the valve stem when you run low air pressure.  They also use a rubber seal over this hole to keep out the muck that we all run through.   Now if you have two rim locks, the installation procedure is completely different.  Let us know what you got. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com   [b]From:[/b] roncriswell2@... [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:40 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Rim locks?     Sent from my iPad I need to put a tire on my old Yamaha IT and it has rim locks. What's the drill on installing the tire without pinching the tube with rim locks? Got the IT running after sitting up for 8 or so years. Yee haw 2 strokes rule. Ring ding ding. Criswell

roncriswell@ymail.com

rim locks?

Post by roncriswell@ymail.com » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:21 am

2 rim locks Fred. Criswell  Sent from my iPhone
On Mar 25, 2014, at 7:35 AM, "Fred Hink" wrote:
  How many rim locks do you have in the wheel?  Changing a tire with one rim lock is easy, two rim locks presents other problems but can be done.  I usually start and end at the valve stem to install a tire.  I treat a tire change with a rim lock included the same way.  You should check your rim tape anytime you have a tire off but pay attention to where the rim lock was to see that the rim tape hasn t damaged the rim tape.  Watch that the tire bead goes under the rim lock and not over the top.  That happens and makes seating the bead impossible or very difficult.  You also need to watch that the tube isn t under the rim lock so it doesn t get pinched when you tighten down the rim lock.  Once the tire is installed, I always inflate the tube to seat the bead, then I deflate the tube to relax the tube and then re-inflate it again.  I tighten the rim lock and snug the nut on the valve stem after I check the air pressure.  You can install the washer and nut or nuts on the tube how you like and they will probably work.  The order that most new tubes come from the factory is: tube, cupped washer, first nut, rim, and last second nut if you have one.  If you want too use only one nut, it can go either inside or outside.  Honda and some other dirt bikes use a large hole in the rim to allow movement of the valve stem when you run low air pressure.  They also use a rubber seal over this hole to keep out the muck that we all run through.   Now if you have two rim locks, the installation procedure is completely different.  Let us know what you got. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com   [b]From:[/b] roncriswell2@... [b]Sent:[/b] Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:40 AM [b]To:[/b] DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [b]Subject:[/b] [DSN_KLR650] Rim locks?     Sent from my iPad I need to put a tire on my old Yamaha IT and it has rim locks. What's the drill on installing the tire without pinching the tube with rim locks? Got the IT running after sitting up for 8 or so years. Yee haw 2 strokes rule. Ring ding ding. Criswell