zippo hand warmers, & camping? (nklr)

DSN_KLR650
Gary Bettes

shift lever

Post by Gary Bettes » Mon May 22, 2000 8:48 am

> Are they gonna "fix it" and put the same garbage on it?
Mine did the same thing. Yes they will warranty it and replace it with the same thing. Seem that only some of the levers do this, depends on the weld at the shaft. My replacement has been fine for three and a half years. Why you order a new one from Fred at Moab@... and get the old one warrantied and keep the replacement one as a spare. Gary B.

Peter Gabanyi

shift lever

Post by Peter Gabanyi » Thu May 25, 2000 12:19 am

First of, thanks to all of you who helped me with advices about the broken shift lever. Since my bike (00' KLR 650) is still under factory warranty, it is covered by Kawasaki. I did some research about the problem, and this turned out to be a common one with the KLRs. Anyway, today was a cool 98 degrees in Albuquerque, and I saw a lot of beautiful bikes outhere while sitting in the bus stop. That sort of pissed me off ( the bus stop part...)...(: Thanks again everybody!

ron@planet-equipment.com

shift lever

Post by ron@planet-equipment.com » Tue Nov 21, 2000 11:36 am

I'm not real sure how I did it, but I tipped my A15 over in the garage. The shift lever bent up like a corkscrew. I now carry a spare. I may not need it again, though. I modified the original. I straightened it out. Then I got a 1/4" round rod. I formed the rod to the inside hollow of the shift lever. I then welded it to the inside of the lever. Now the lever is strong and does not flex. Ron

Zachariah Mully

shift lever

Post by Zachariah Mully » Tue Nov 21, 2000 11:50 am

Ron- Not sure that you want to make the shift lever that stiff as next time that you whack it hard enough, you could inflict damage on the shift shaft. I don't know if this would actually happen, this is just a personal theory, so flame away if needed. I know the stockers are made of Japanese Mystery Metal (thought to be derived from the compressed metal shavings of old VW bug bumpers) but if you redo the weld on the stocker, the metal is plenty flexible to withstand several "incidents" and be re-bent. Like I said, this only a theory and I haven't had experience with this, but knowing how much we all like to bend stuff in that general area of the bike, I would be concerned that the shifter being that stiff might cause other problems. Probably shifts better though with the reinforcement, correct? YMMV. Zack SE DC 1991 KLR650 "Buster" 1986 Concours -----Original Message----- From: ron@... [mailto:ron@...] Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2000 12:37 PM To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Shift Lever I'm not real sure how I did it, but I tipped my A15 over in the garage. The shift lever bent up like a corkscrew. I now carry a spare. I may not need it again, though. I modified the original. I straightened it out. Then I got a 1/4" round rod. I formed the rod to the inside hollow of the shift lever. I then welded it to the inside of the lever. Now the lever is strong and does not flex. Ron Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Steve Anderson

shift lever

Post by Steve Anderson » Tue Nov 21, 2000 12:39 pm

This happened to me with an old xt550. I goosed the throttle in some gravel from a standstill, and the bike just fell over at zero speed (yes, I was emabarassed in front of several friends). The real shocker was that the shift shaft broke off clean at the case!! This may not be a real big deal in the klr, as replacing the shift shaft looks as simple as pulling the right side cover off and sliding it out. On the xt, I had to split the case.... Steve Anderson
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Zachariah Mully" wrote: > Ron- > Not sure that you want to make the shift lever that stiff as next time that > you whack it hard enough, you could inflict damage on the shift shaft. I > don't know if this would actually happen, this is just a personal theory, so > flame away if needed. I know the stockers are made of Japanese Mystery Metal > (thought to be derived from the compressed metal shavings of old VW bug > bumpers) but if you redo the weld on the stocker, the metal is plenty > flexible to withstand several "incidents" and be re-bent. Like I said, this > only a theory and I haven't had experience with this, but knowing how much > we all like to bend stuff in that general area of the bike, I would be > concerned that the shifter being that stiff might cause other problems. > Probably shifts better though with the reinforcement, correct? > YMMV. > > Zack > SE DC > 1991 KLR650 "Buster" > 1986 Concours > > -----Original Message----- > From: ron@p... [mailto:ron@p...] > Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2000 12:37 PM > To: DSN_klr650@egroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Shift Lever > > > I'm not real sure how I did it, but I tipped my A15 over in the > garage. The shift lever bent up like a corkscrew. I now carry a > spare. I may not need it again, though. I modified the original. I > straightened it out. Then I got a 1/4" round rod. I formed the rod > to the inside hollow of the shift lever. I then welded it to the > inside of the lever. Now the lever is strong and does not flex. > > Ron > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@s... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com

Bogdan Swider

shift lever

Post by Bogdan Swider » Tue Nov 21, 2000 12:52 pm

> Ron- > Not sure that you want to make the shift lever that stiff as next > time that > you whack it hard enough, you could inflict damage on the shift shaft. I > don't know if this would actually happe >
Boy, I sure would worry about messing up the lever + even more of the trans. Especially if one rides off-road with the skills I possess. Drop the $25 on a aftermarket lever that's meant to be bent back and forth. Bogdan

epmkessler@core.com

shift lever

Post by epmkessler@core.com » Wed Apr 25, 2001 9:20 am

Anyone with the IMS shift lever have any problems or concerns with its clearance with the engine case? There is a cutout in the case for the stock lever, but the IMS is longer and as a result aligns with a part of the case that causes less clearance. Looks to me like it could punch a hole in the engine case much easier in the event of a left side crash. Eric A12

Dale_Johnson@ahm.honda.com

shift lever

Post by Dale_Johnson@ahm.honda.com » Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:01 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., epmkessler@c... wrote:
> Anyone with the IMS shift lever have any problems or concerns with > --snip
I have an IMS shifter, No problems or concerns, I have went down a few times on my KLR no problems yet.. Hey Andy would the word "few" be an understatment? Dale

BCSavWill@cs.com

shift lever

Post by BCSavWill@cs.com » Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:15 pm

Hi, I have an IMS shift lever, no clearance problems with anything..... No concerns. Much better feel and more room for my boot with the wider IMS Pegs. Brian A14 TE 410E Honolulu, HI [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sam Teel

shift lever

Post by Sam Teel » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:46 pm

>When I first bought my A16, I read all the literature i could find >about known issues on KLRs...so I knew that the gear shift lever >breaking was a problem. >
snip
> It broke off at the weld so pretty and clean it looked like it had >been cut with a laser beam.I couldnt believe it broke after all it >had lasted through up till that point. > >That's because the weld is sh*t. The stock lever is otherwise fine. You >could reweld it (or have it rewelded) and it will last just fine. > >Devon
Odd, or not so odd, but I dropped my A12 on the left side in the mud about 2 months ago. The shift lever just a tad bent but worked fine. Two weekends ago the wife and I had planned a 300 mile round trip on the bike. As we left the house at 9am, the bike wouldn't shift into first. We stopped of at the place where I keep my tools, truck and stuff and took a look. The lever was shearing off right at the weld. I send the wife to the Kawa shops to find a replacement while I took took the old one off. She soon returned saying that neither shop had one but both offered to order one. I said let's go find a welder. We road down a street full of muffler shops, body shops etc, and finaly saw "Memphis Choppers". I told her that they could weld it for sure, if they would. The fellow in the shop stopped what he was doing, welded my lever in about 5 minutes and charged me 5 bucks. I put it back on and we were underway just before 11am. I had thought to buy a new lever and keep the welded one as a spare. I may not bother as it seems just fine and the weld looked good. Regards, Sam